You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Do British purposefully mispronounce foreign names or words?

Emdog

First, I generally like Brits, love EPL, English music etc. This is not meant as a bash, but a sincere question! I am at the moment watching Arsenal v Man U. The announcers make me want to get out of my seat and say "That is not his name!". Examples here: announcer says KAG-a-wa. He is Japanese, okay? His name is pronounced Ka-GA-wa. Second: Flam-in-i. How about Fla-mi-ni? Is it Jo-se or Ho-se? Gomes or Go-mes? This applies to BBC (which I watch regularly). I cannot even recall what some did with <deleted>-KU-shi-ma. Maybe goes back to trip when mom took me to London in 69. Took a taxi and wanted to go to Beauchamp street. Driver thought for a bit, said "Oh, you mean Beechem street. Announcer here for Pattaya TV had no excuse, he lived here.

So is it some hangover from good old days of "however we pronounce it is correct because we are the boss", do they not care to know, are they incapable of hearing the difference? I'm just askin....

Worcester or Worcestershire, is more commonly pronounced phonetically as Wuster, especially when referring to a sauce, most English people know this, try it on your average non-English person and check the results.

Now, take a non-English name written in Roman script and ask an English person to say it.

Guess what.

• Like 1

Worcester or Worcestershire, is more commonly pronounced phonetically as Wuster, especially when referring to a sauce, most English people know this, try it on your average non-English person and check the results.

Now, take a non-English name written in Roman script and ask an English person to say it.

Guess what.

Although there are somewhat different dialects in the USA, everyone I know pronounces it Woo'-sta-sure sauce.

There are lots of differences in phrasing, spelling, pronunciation in the various native English speaking countries, but I have no problem understanding any of them except for a very few localized Brits, Scots and Irish.

I have learned a lot on this board due to the various nationalities. Some British slang I have learned from context, and actually find myself using the words because they get the job done. "skint" was a new one for me, where we would probably say "broke." Neither is probably correct English, but again they are quick and preferable to a longer description.

Cholmondeley. Try that one, chum. It springs from the days when the Brits were completely illiterate and single syllable words were needed. But today they are much more advanced and can be regarded as semi-literate, which means they can pronounce half of any word of more than 2 syllables. It's true.