Should my wife open a Greek restaurant in Hua Hin?

PeterHuaHin2

Realistically, you're not going to fully replicate an "authentic" menu as in Greece for a price very many people will pay. A number of ingredients would NEED to be locally sourced. Yes there is Thai made feta cheese for example. Take Greek feta cheese and mark it up 3 times (typically restaurant markup) how many locals will pay very often for that? In other words, get real. I think it IS possible to provide a real Greek flavor experience in Thailand for a moderate price (Pattayanis does this), but it won't satisfy hard core purists. I think they might be on a fantasy trip. That's OK. There are frequent flights heading towards Greece, yes?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not open a Greek restaurant in Hua Hin unless you have lots of money to lose. 70% of restaurants get closed after one year in business. As far as foreigner funded restaurants in Thailand..... We all know these sad stories. Keep your money. Keep your wife happy.

Be careful, because Thais do not like Greek food.

Took my wife to Greece for 2 weeks and she nearly died from starvation.

As it was suggested before try to find a place that are foreigners around.

They appreciate Greek food.

Good Luck with your venture and hope it works.

Tell me when you open and I will visit you in Hua Hin.

Being Greek, missed the good Greek cuisine.

• Like 1

If you have nothing to lose - do it for the sake of having done it.

But I recommend you do a proper market survey; spend the next two weeks each and every night in Hua Hin downtown and walk around in the area where you would open such a restaurant.

I am a restaurant owner (in the sticks of Pattaya) and doing well due to an unique concept for residents working between Rayong and Sri Racha. During my last visit to Southern Thailand I pit-stopped one night in Hua Hin which was on total life-support. The places were emptier than empty and the entire Soi had possibly five diners between 7 and 9 pm and I sat all by myself in a small, tidy, reasonably priced and kindly served Thai restaurant with a good selection of fresh food!

What do you need?
X seats on Y tables with Z revenue per diner = gross income
X rent with Y overheads and Z food costs = gross costs

32 seats on 8 tables can result in 10 diners and the place is "sold out". The food costs should not exceed 30% of the listed price in the menu and drinks should generate a gross profit of THB 35 - THB 40/serving (a 0.7l bottle of wine makes seven servings so the mark-up should be THB 280 - THB 300). And last not least = you pay expenses with Baht and not with Percentage = keep that mind.

In closing the most difficult element will be staff; if you can keep it small and run with a minimum of staff you will have less headache on that front apart from saving costs for people standing around, face booking rather than looking after customers or poking noses.

Depends on the location. There used to be a Greek restaurant in Bangkok in Ekkamai, near the Petchaburi junction but it was out of the way and died a death, even though the food was reasonably OK.

Personally I think Cypriot Greek food, which is the style that British people are familiar with, has advantages over Greek-Greek food. For one thing the pitta bread is firm and dry, not fluffy and greased with copious olive oil. They also have more things like kleftiko stew and the wonderful halloumi goats cheese that is delicious grilled. But you can forget about the pickled baby song birds (ambelopoulia). I always staunchly resisted trying this revolting delicacy. Also forget about the chips with everything culture prevalent in Cyprus learned from the former colonial masters. Cypriot wines are generally better than their Greek counterparts too.

My friend, I don't think you ever tasted real Greek food.

In my opinion the taste and variety is much better the Cypriot cuisine.

As about this rubbery cheese (haloumi) can't understand how you acquired the taste!!!!!

• Like 1

Realistically, you're not going to fully replicate an "authentic" menu as in Greece for a price very many people will pay. A number of ingredients would NEED to be locally sourced. Yes there is Thai made feta cheese for example. Take Greek feta cheese and mark it up 3 times (typically restaurant markup) how many locals will pay very often for that? In other words, get real. I think it IS possible to provide a real Greek flavor experience in Thailand for a moderate price (Pattayanis does this), but it won't satisfy hard core purists. I think they might be on a fantasy trip. That's OK. There are frequent flights heading towards Greece, yes?

True but you can go a long way to replicate things with locally available ingredients. Most Greek salads offered in Thailand bear no resemblance whatsoever to the real thing because the Thai chefs have no idea what a Greek salad is and the owners just thing it sounds nice on the menu.

There are also Thai restaurants in the West that make no effort at all to produce dishes that are anything like the originals. I have sometimes suggested to them to change the names of the dishes rather than deceiving customers into ordering Kai Phat Krapow for example that is really really just large chunks of chicken fried with onions with no Krapow or chillies.

Depends on the location. There used to be a Greek restaurant in Bangkok in Ekkamai, near the Petchaburi junction but it was out of the way and died a death, even though the food was reasonably OK.

Personally I think Cypriot Greek food, which is the style that British people are familiar with, has advantages over Greek-Greek food. For one thing the pitta bread is firm and dry, not fluffy and greased with copious olive oil. They also have more things like kleftiko stew and the wonderful halloumi goats cheese that is delicious grilled. But you can forget about the pickled baby song birds (ambelopoulia). I always staunchly resisted trying this revolting delicacy. Also forget about the chips with everything culture prevalent in Cyprus learned from the former colonial masters. Cypriot wines are generally better than their Greek counterparts too.

My friend, I don't think you ever tasted real Greek food.

In my opinion the taste and variety is much better the Cypriot cuisine.

As about this rubbery cheese (haloumi) can't understand how you acquired the taste!!!!!

Actually I travelled extensively in Greece and to a lesser extent in Cyprus over a period of years. There are some great restaurants in Athens and Thessaloniki that are better than anything in Cyprus but you have to know where to go. Come to think of it you have to know where to go in Cyprus (and London) too. Nothing wrong with Greek food but I personally don't like the greasy type of pitta bread and I do love halloumi. Each to his own.

Good idea, when your wife knows really how to cook Greek food. What I see in the photo not looks at all like Greek food. Otherwise it will be the same like with Italian food in Chiang Mai: Overpriced, cooked by Thais who have no idea how tastes Italian food, just the owner is Italian but does not know how the teach is staff. I avoid such restaurants.

Yeah if you want Greek food in Thailand, you generally need a native who knows what it's supposed to taste like. That or a Thai who has lived long term in Greece and is passionate about the food, certainly possible in theory.
Interesting quotes (google translated) from a great casual Italian restaurant in Pattaya run by Italians mostly FOR Italians. I think there are clues here on how to deliver fantastic European food in Thailand for a competitive price, with some compromises yes, but still wonderful. It can be done with Italian and it can be done with Greek. Not easily and you need TALENT from the owners/chefs.

I delegate the bare minimum to the Thai staff, because it's never the same thing
How was your integration in a local reality so different from the Italian one?
with some difficulty ... I do not deny my work is my work and am not afraid ... I can also do the Ligurian pesto with peanuts or walnuts if you do not I pine nuts ... The biggest problem in this country are employees, and only when you're here you realize what's happening. The real work for them does not matter, they are, are not, arrive an hour later and smile as if it was all right, communication difficulties are great not to mention immense. Different language, different spelling, different religion and way of life ....

http://nuke.mollotutto.com/ComeaprireunristoranteinThailandiaaPattaya/tabid/716/Default.aspx

While I've never run a restaurant, or even worked as a waiter, I do think it's obvious that it's a very hard business, and to have a successful one that both pleases customers AND brings profits requires seriously massive dedication and passion. Most do fail, in Thailand and everywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

Peter,

That fact that you have to or are asking means NO. Even if you got 200 responses on here saying yes, a small percentage even live in Thailand let alone Hua Hin even though this is the Hua Hin section. Even if all 200 did they are not enough of a customer base to base the survival of a business on.

If you live a little outside Hua Hin and there is nothing around, like a local watering hole, and you don't need real money to call it a success, then you could have a go but... It is a lot of work.

Thank you so much for your replies. I didn't expact such quick replies and so much great advice. My wife cooks often Greek food (with only some ingredients bought at Villa etc) at home and all we need to do is mention Greek food party and everybody wants to come over. Can I just check how much you would pay for a decent home cooked meal say Pastisio plus Greek Salad for one?

Looking forward to your responses ;)

Would there be any opportunities to sell food at/to Santorini Park? Not exactly in Hua Hin but not that far. Seems like a perfect match.

By the way, those photos are bringing back wonderful memories of my Greek Island travels 15 years ago. My mouth is watering.

There are plenty of gyro/doner carts in Pattaya and adding feta salad would be easy with a small fridge/cooler built into the cart. In my opinion that's what would work. Low start-up and overhead, mobile to move easily to busy areas, cheap and quick food. Expensive lamb is unnecessary, souvlaki etc is 95% pork in Greece anyway.

Most important, who is the clientele?

As said, Thais don't like it so Thai food must also be offered otherwise Thai women will steer their partners elsewhere.

Lots of people here saying how much they love Greek grub. I love it too...in Greece, less so elsewhere. It's fairly heavy food which ain't great in the tropics.

What's the customer base? Are there enough expats willing to eat it more than once a week or two? Tourist season is short so expat business is key. But I don't think it is as appealing to most falangs as Italian or American (burgers, ribs, pizza) or Brit pub grub.

Frankly, I think it's a non-starter as a full-on resto. Maybe ok as a cart.

IMO a street stall type gyros offering a Greek salad and shots of Ouzo would have a better chance of success than a sit down facility located anywhere away from the major hotels

Street stall with a sprints licence selling "shots" of imported Ouzo ?

Exactly which planet is your Hua Hin on?

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Traditional Greeks will work off a board menu. A few tables and the customers can see the kitchen. Goat with lemon, beef stew with peppers, Greek salad to start and retsina. Providing your house is in a reasonable location and has a terrace. Start it tommoro.

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by PattayaPhom

Having lived in Greece it still always made me smile when asking for a menu, the waiter would reply"I am the menu"

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've heard bargirls say that! Not a surprise a waiter said it in Greece where they separate the men from the boys with a pry bar ;-)