Eight injured in Udon Thani train derailing

webfact

I will have to look on a map but all the tracks were just put in this year from Korat north to Udon Thani with concrete ties. I believe the express train gets on that line from Bui Yai to Udon. I think the line from Udon to Nong Khai is new also.

So was the new plastic guard put on my motorbike exhaust pipe last week. But due to incompetent workmanship at the local Honda shop ... it fell off.

That only happened because you didn't buy a Chinese Super bike.-w00t.gif

I am no expert but I believe a lot of injuries from overturned cars could be reduced if they switched back to standard gauge Have seen many photos of rail accidents in the Us and Europe and most seem to have the cars still upright even though badly damaged. Isn't the BTS on a standard gauge track - it appears that way to me?.

Can't wait for the "Trillion baht" high speed trains to start running.. daily news then will be hundreds dead every day instead of the slower trains & just a few injuries..

New rolling stock and maybe even new rails, but the problem lays with using the same ground beneath the rails & Thai mentality towards safe engineering practices & maintenance.

I gave up traveling by coaches because of the rising death tolls, gave up mini-buses because of the drivers with a death wish, gave up driving myself because of the same thing & traffic jams, gave up my motorcycle because that was just a hospital appointment waiting to happen, even got knocked off my pedal bike.. now with weekly derailments how am I supposed to get around.. and please don't reply with "Fly"

I don't trust those "pesky spirits" either !!

Train (and Bus, Lorry and Mini-Bus) crashes in LOS are becoming so commonplace that they are hardly even "news" anymore.

As for two-wheeled accidents, they haven't been "news" for decades.

Drive yourself, grit your teeth and pray you don't encounter some nutter on the road.

All you can hope for, I'm afraid.

Can't wait for the "Trillion baht" high speed trains to start running.. daily news then will be hundreds dead every day instead of the slower trains & just a few injuries..

New rolling stock and maybe even new rails, but the problem lays with using the same ground beneath the rails & Thai mentality towards safe engineering practices & maintenance.

I gave up traveling by coaches because of the rising death tolls, gave up mini-buses because of the drivers with a death wish, gave up driving myself because of the same thing & traffic jams, gave up my motorcycle because that was just a hospital appointment waiting to happen, even got knocked off my pedal bike.. now with weekly derailments how am I supposed to get around.. and please don't reply with "Fly"

Did you also stop having sex, when AIDS became a serious problem? Life's sometimes a bi....aehh dangerous.

You could do all to prevent such accidents and the full frozen load of an aircraft toilet could hit you .

Here's a very safe and cheap way to get around. Hay's almost everywhere right now. -wai2.gif

post-108180-0-42990600-1384300994_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

You need to take up Buddhism - fast!

That or find a cave.

"He said that the SRT is now repairing and maintaining several railway routes for safety reason."

Surely for safety reasons they should shut down whatever is still left working in the Thai railway system until they have a plan to rebuild it properly.

Problem with that is the headlines every day, another bus crash........ and where will all the extra buses come from ?......... at least with all the train derailments you get non or a few slightly injured..

thailand really needs high speed trains

how many accidents will happen than ?

None because they won't be built by the Thais. It's either the Chinese, Japanese or the Germans who will build it with the help of Thai workforce and the tracks will be brand new unlike the ones that are in place now!

Sorry sir to be negative, but the "Brand New" tag will soon fade away at which time regular maintenance will be required.

Can you say with confidence that this "will" happen?

Yeah, I can because contrary to popular believe here Thais are not complete idiots.

The track gauge in Thailand is very narrow, "Metre gauge" (way too narrow) so when the track is uneven the train rocks from side to side until it simply falls over, the train does not need to be moving fast for this "ossolation" to occur and in fact none of the trains in Thailand reach speeds of over 75 to 80KPH of course this is too fast anyway.

The transportation situation is pathetic in this country, mainly cause by graft.

If the Thai people want to have a country which is more useful and pleasant then they have to understand the basics of honesty first.

FYI:

Metre gauge is the system of narrow gauge railways and tramways with a track gauge of 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in). It has installations of around 95,000 kilometres (59,000 mi). In some African, American and Asian countries it is the main gauge. In Europe huge metre gauge networks remain in continuous use in Switzerland, northern Spain and for many European urban trams, although most metre gauge local railways in France, Germany, and Belgium closed down in the mid 20th century. With the revival of urban rail transport, in some cities metre gauge light metros were established, while in other cities metre gauge was replaced by standard gauge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre_gauge

w00t.gifbah.gifw00t.gifbah.gifw00t.gifbah.gifw00t.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

I will have to look on a map but all the tracks were just put in this year from Korat north to Udon Thani with concrete ties. I believe the express train gets on that line from Bui Yai to Udon. I think the line from Udon to Nong Khai is new also.

I've noticed recently that in BKK the wooden sleepers have been removed so the rails sit directly on gravel.

Seems less stability to me.