Where is Thailand on the Philippens disaster ?

Robby nz

I wonder if the philippines helped thailand during the 2004 tsunami incident. I don't think so but the philippines is so poor i don;t think they could even afford to send a team.

As a Filipino, it's hurt for me to read that people saying that my country are poor. You don't know the factual history of Philippines. We filipinos are hardworking and Philippines economy matching the pace of China as the two fastest growing in Asia but since Philippines is near in the Pacific Ocean we experiencing lots of typhoon ( cyclone ) every year and earthquake billions of money are spending for calamity aid. Two thirds of all the gold in the world is in Philippines and one third is devided among the rest of the countries of the world. Politicians in different country knows that Philippine is the richest country. During the interview President Bush was asked which is the richest country in the world and he said Philippines. They knew where are the money deposited. Like freezing of the Romanov Swiss account it was freeze up to day. And lots more.

Your people are suffering and all you care about is your country being called "Poor country"?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the philippines helped thailand during the 2004 tsunami incident. I don't think so but the philippines is so poor i don;t think they could even afford to send a team.

As a Filipino, it's hurt for me to read that people saying that my country are poor. You don't know the factual history of Philippines. We filipinos are hardworking and Philippines economy matching the pace of China as the two fastest growing in Asia but since Philippines is near in the Pacific Ocean we experiencing lots of typhoon ( cyclone ) every year and earthquake billions of money are spending for calamity aid. Two thirds of all the gold in the world is in Philippines and one third is devided among the rest of the countries of the world. Politicians in different country knows that Philippine is the richest country. During the interview President Bush was asked which is the richest country in the world and he said Philippines. They knew where are the money deposited. Like freezing of the Romanov Swiss account it was freeze up to day. And lots more.

Your people are suffering and all you care about is your country being called "Poor country"?

For me, YES. Its hurt for me to be called poor it sounds like we didn't do anything against poverty sounds like we are moron thats why we are poor. We are doing our best to have a better life. We filipino knows that we still have a natural resources to use but as a land owner we are responsible to take care what we have against the government official because they are corrupt. We fight against government to not let the foreign mining company to go with our land. And we spent money to win the case. We need to have a better officials to trust. We don't deserve to be called poor.

For me, YES. Its hurt for me to be called poor it sounds like we didn't do anything against poverty sounds like we are moron thats why we are poor. We are doing our best to have a better life. We filipino knows that we still have a natural resources to use but as a land owner we are responsible to take care what we have against the government official because they are corrupt. We fight against government to not let the foreign mining company to go with our land. And we spent money to win the case. We need to have a better officials to trust. We don't deserve to be called poor.

Whenever people criticize you, look inwards and see if it is true or not. If it is true, then work on making yourself better. If you know it's not, then learn to ignore it. Been through quite a bit of that here in Thailand; at first it pissed me off to high heaven ... later on I learned that I was losing allowing others to successfully make me angry, dissapointed, and when I did, things got that much better.

You say you are from the Phillipines, so you know your country. There are many countries sending aid, from countries in which a few people probably also think that the Phillipines are 'poor.' What's important is the aid being sent to the Phillipines from other countries, those which are trying to help. 'Poor' or not, a natural disaster has wielded some MAJOR damage, and pride should be put on the back burner while accepting help and trying to renew and rebuild what was once there.

If they don't respect them enough to pay them the same teaching wages as other foreigners ... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any aid to be offered. ASEAN is a "For Show" joke. Beneath the glossy exterior ... Thailand despises it's S.E Asian neighbours. It's only the fair skinned Northern Asians they go gaga over.

Edited by Fullstop

Just to let you know, FangFerang, that we're taking up your challenge, and helping the cause, I just sent via PayPal US$105 (4,500 pesos) to the Philippine Red Cross.

The link is at http://www.redcross.org.ph/donatenow

Did you happen to note the exchange rate that PayPal was using? I know that in the past where I have made payments going from $ to Baht, their exchange rate was between 1 and 2 baht per dollar less than the TT rate. Just curious to see how much they are skimming from donations.

David

David you have to be one of the most pathetic a$$holes on this planet.

Who gives a rat's a$$ about Paypal (in your uninformed, incorrect opinion) "skimming" one or two baht on the dollar of the donations??? Have you made any contribution yourself???

What a totally and utterly disgusting excuse for a so-called human being bah.gif

Why ?

Do you think PayPal should be making a profit on this?

Malaysia and indonesia hasn't helped either. Please stop dictating how countries should help other countries. The middle eastern countries didn't help their neighbours either. There are world wide organzations like red cross to help countries in need and during diaster times. All of these are western run. Most western or richer countries will help like the US for example.

Malaysia have donated a million dollars plus food and medicine.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/11/13/haiyan-typhoon-malaysia-aid.aspx

Indonesia two million dollars in aid.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/indonesia-sends-2m-typhoon-haiyan-aid-to-philippines/

I am amazed with you TV members living in Thailand for many years.

You should know by now that Thai people hide behind this pretence smile and never think and be concerned about anything else except their own selves and their immediate families.

Donations is only for the local Wat and that is because they believe that by offering the 100-200 baht all their sins and wrongdoings will be forgotten.

Only in the case they are going to loose face to the international scene may be and I repeat may be they will do something to show themselves up.

So let's wait and see what will happen!

I am amazed over your generalization, and the people who like what you write.

Edited by Travel2003
  • Like 1

I am amazed with you TV members living in Thailand for many years.

You should know by now that Thai people hide behind this pretence smile and never think and be concerned about anything else except their own selves and their immediate families.

Donations is only for the local Wat and that is because they believe that by offering the 100-200 baht all their sins and wrongdoings will be forgotten.

Only in the case they are going to loose face to the international scene may be and I repeat may be they will do something to show themselves up.

So let's wait and see what will happen!

Sweeping statement that is. My experience with Thailand so far has been very positive.

where are the donations and aid from there neighbors only japan and aussies are stepping up. the chinese earthquakes they received aid now there turn to repay and they send a 100k what is wrong with people of china . thailand you guys need to step up and repay world kindness for the tsunami relief dont give me the shit that you have no cash and are financial busted. step up act like humans .

I will try to contact the neighbor countries and let them know they must report directly to you, so you can be on top of the efforts, thus can judge who is giving too little, etc.

Will be difficult but I will try tell the people of China that you are not happy with them, although probably 700 million of them don't even know about the happenings outside their villages.

Finally, what have YOU done?

Honestly, what have you done?

• Like 1

Did Thailand really not give any money/food/water/tents except some medics??? I hardly can't believe it after all the help they got after the tsunami.

What did Thailand get after the tsunami?

I'm sure they got something, but you seem to be on top of it, so what did Thailand receive (and from whom)?

Seems to me that many of the members here think that charity and humanity MUST be paid back.

• Like 1

Did Thailand really not give any money/food/water/tents except some medics??? I hardly can't believe it after all the help they got after the tsunami.

What did Thailand get after the tsunami? I'm sure they got something, but you seem to be on top of it, so what did Thailand receive (and from whom)?

Seems to me that many of the members here think that charity and humanity MUST be paid back.

A quote from the report below.

"Following the tsunami Thailand received significant assistance from a range of foreign donors. This assistance included technical assistance from foreign governments. The total amount of aid committed was $131 million, ranging from contributions of $5,000 to $27 million. This foreign commitment was around 10 per cent of Thailand’s tsunami-related budget. The government

also received substantial donations from the corporate sector, estimated at $50–60 million in 2005"

Total breakdown of donors at Section 6.1 at the URL below.

http://www.adbi.org/files/dp72.thailand.tsunami.adjustment.recovery.pdf

I'm sure they got something, but you seem to be on top of it, so what did Thailand receive (and from whom)?

not MUST....just nice if it is isn't it.

You must admit, if you bought your friend a nice schmik remote controlled racing car for his birthday and he bought you a packet of gum, you would be a little disappointed.....

quote "Finally, what have YOU done?

Honestly, what have you done?"

I never give to this kind of appeal.

I go out of my way to give cash and kind

to destitute people, who are not begging.

The people in the Philippines were living their lives and not asking for anything. A natural disaster of immense proportions totally destroyed their day to day lives. 5 days without food and they ask for help. Are you saying that they should not beg for assistance to clear dead bodies, provide basic water and food for the survivors?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Just to let you know, FangFerang, that we're taking up your challenge, and helping the cause, I just sent via PayPal US$105 (4,500 pesos) to the Philippine Red Cross.

Did you happen to note the exchange rate that PayPal was using? I know that in the past where I have made payments going from $ to Baht, their exchange rate was between 1 and 2 baht per dollar less than the TT rate. Just curious to see how much they are skimming from donations.

David

David you have to be one of the most pathetic a$$holes on this planet.

Who gives a rat's a$$ about Paypal (in your uninformed, incorrect opinion) "skimming" one or two baht on the dollar of the donations??? Have you made any contribution yourself???

What a totally and utterly disgusting excuse for a so-called human being bah.gif

Why ?

Do you think PayPal should be making a profit on this?

@cloghead,

Because every baht that PayPal skims is one less baht (or other currency for that matter) that does not reach people in need.

And yes, I have.

David

• Like 1

Looks like the Chinese have been embarrassed into upping their contributions with an additional $1.64 million in supplies. (http://world.time.com/2013/11/13/china-to-philippines-here-have-a-measly-100000-in-aid/?hpt=hp_t1) Even the Vatican, a significantly smaller state, has donated $4 million. Says a lot about the status of China as a "superpower."

David

Edited by Genericnic

Looks like the Chinese have been embarrassed into upping their contributions with an additional $1.64 million in supplies. (http://world.time.com/2013/11/13/china-to-philippines-here-have-a-measly-100000-in-aid/?hpt=hp_t1) Even the Vatican, a significantly smaller state, has donated $4 million. Says a lot about the status of China as a "superpower."

David

it's not 'embarrassed', considering that China and Philippines are currently at loggerheads over scarborough island and sea disputes.

Thailand got hundreds of millions us$ after the tsunami. When all was cleared up there were loads of millions (10-50) us$ leftover and nobody could explain where that many went. I am not totally into the numbers but i know that Europe really was engaged with the victims and gave a lot. Money, goods, boats, firetrucks and so on. They sent medics and all registers went open to help.

I don't think that anybody MUST pay now but the decent country's would allready have booked the money or sent the goods/help. I am proud to be European in this case and fully support all the help.

I know many European children who collected money, worked for money, emptied their savingpots full of coins, family's who decided not to buy a new car but give the money to the victims of the tsunami and so on....Maybe you were at sea when it happened but i was on Koh Samui when the tsunami came.......

I don't know the reason why the asian neighbours refuse to help but i think it is a big shame. When they are in need themselves they should not be surprised if the rich country's also donate only 100kus$. Well i can allready tell the Europeans will still help them whatever they do, whatever religion or whatever the disaster is but you know what i mean.

• Like 1

The area devasted is very large. Even the Cavalry will be hard-pressed to help more than a fraction of those affected and literally dying as we read and chat.

Many good people have donated, and are not bragging about it at all. One is flying over to search for surviving relatives, which is heart-wrenching to even highly jaded news junkies like myself.

The link below has a paypal option, as well as visa and such. 1000 baht is one bottle of decent whisky, or dinner for two at a mid-posh restaurant, three cartons of cheap cigarettes, one nice leg of New Zealand lamb with sides and salad (made yourself), or one night out with the buds drinking suds and shooting snooker (if it's a light night).

It's also rice and medicine for a small famliy that will last two weeks, even after the paypal fee and conversion rate pick pocket a donation. Its the closing window of opportunity that's so dicey.

When that window closes, no one can ever open it again. The lights will not be on. No one will ever be home there again.

sad.png

David

Catholic Church is one of the wealthiest institutions on Earth & has billions of pesos invested in companies in the Philippines. US$4m for Vatican would be peanuts, but something is better than nothing....

• Like 1

The Australia Government has donated another 20 Million now totaling 30 mil in aid. They also reached by plane and chopper the furthest areas of the disaster, to distribute food, water, medical supplies and some Doctors and medical assistants. They also have dropped off some soldiers to set up mobile de-salination plants for people to get a drink. Australian Military Forces are also now clearing airport runways to enable jet aircraft to land and distribute supplies, as the only ones able to land were fixed prop planes.

I would imagine a lot of other countries are now doing the same thing as the supplies and staff arrive and just in time.

• Like 2

I think the OP needs to get his sh!t together and do some research instead of opening up yet another venue on the forum for Thai bashing.

I have no clue as to who is donating what or how much but on one of the local television stations this morning, they had an appeal running that had over 3 million baht in it. I would reckon there's a lot of initiatives like this kicking off. For every farang belly acher projecting their hatred for all things Thai here on TV there's a few hundred Thai's quietly going about DOING SOMETHING about the disaster in the Philippines.

You just don't fly planes full of medicine and sail boats full of rice to the Philippines. It is a sovereign nation and they need to ask for what is needed and permission needs to be granted. It all needs to be organised.

Enough with all this self-righteous indignation and name calling. If you didn't have CNN and BBC on your internet, you wouldn't even have a clue it had happened and would be whining about the usual Thai political and cultural sh!te that you have no influence over and can't accept.

The OP is back and reading the insult you have just posted.

If you think my criticism of the Thai Govt for failing to act promptly is Thai bashing then you are way out of line.

As you say you, have no clue as to who has donated what, however I hope you are one of those who has made a large donation towards the relief work.

As you seem to think you know far more about it I do then I have no doubt you have.

In a dire emergency like this you act first and do not wait to ask permission.

If your next door house is on fire do you wait for them to ask for help to put the fire out?

I don't know who, what or where you are but Thailand is the place I have chosen to make my home and in the almost 10 years I have been here I have accumulated family and friends and therefor reserve the right to comment on the actions or inactions of the Govt as what they do, in many instances, impacts on me and mine.

If you were to take the trouble to search the posts I have made in the past you would see that in many cases I have defended Thailand against the ranks of Thai bashers that you, who obviously no nothing about me, like to include me in.

In case you haven't noticed.

I see that now Thailand is sending medical teams, C130's and navy ships with food and medical supplies.

I also see ASIAN is to hold a conference to put together an emergency relief plan for the group.

I stand by my OP that action by the Govt should have been immediately after the event.

• Like 1

I'm just praying to God to spare us more typhoons, storms and earthquakes. We feel bruised from all sides, battered from top to bottom and beaten up inside and out. We are working hard to have a better life but almost every month we are experiencing typhoon. You have no idea what we feel now.

I do know how you must feel. But please be aware that you'll never walk alone. There's only one planet we're living on. Time for all to understand that.