breeding crayfish

crayfish

Pattaya Plant Market near Mini Siam/BKK Hospital on the Sukhumvit Road. They have lots and sell juveniles about 2" for 150 two. (Red Claw Crayfish)

Also I have seen a few very colourful ones (I doubt saltwater but don't know for real) in Rayong on the Home Pro Plant Market which runs till 6th of March. The Aquariums are near the main entry.

Just to clarify, Think of your home style cooking the BBQ nights with friends and not business or you have some huge land with lots of lakes on it.

These Lakes have to be specifically sloped otherwise the harvest would be a mission impossible. 

Farming Crays in tanks sure has developed but still to grow market sizes in Massa. You will get one (or some) Bullies that rule the Tank and the rest will stay small until the big ones are moved or on the BBQ. Then some new Bullies appearing and so on and on and when we speak Market size around 70-80 grams its 12 for a selling Kilo. They demand one square Meter of ground if enough coverage is available. 

As soon you throw some thousand Juveniles in your pond Mama Snakehead will get babys and starts decimising these Crays with a neverending appetite, the Snakehead fry will grow up quick. just to sort the leftovers.

Eels, Catfish & Co also love them crustaceans..

Sure they will leave you some in your Trap, but as mentioned above think BBQ with friends and a cold Leo in first instance and ..

This Point I reached so far (lessons learned) but the optimism dies last, we'll getting there one day.

Edited by See Will

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Hi, I would like to buy a few crayfish for commercial breeding purposes. Where can I get them in Bangkok/near Bangkok area? I emailed ratchaburycrayfish a week ago but still no reply.

Thanks

According to the last post of Ratchaburi crayfish farm facebook page, they are closed. I would guess that mean permanently. 

Just a thought, how about this approach.
Crayfish grow significantly slower in aquaculture tanks than in ponds. I can say that is a fact.
They are feeding and living in detritus which is abundant in natural ponds.
However, the disadvantage of ponds are the suitable area, pond construction, water level management (drought/flooding), fence and net for the pond, harvesting.
Benefit are low expenses for feed and faster growth.
So now comes my idea. Why not make a layer of soil/clay/organic material in a tank to imitate this detritus layer.
If you have not much turbulent water and a sump before the filter (if you need one) it could theoretically work

An interesting idea CLW.

Is the idea to put soil, clay and organic material on top of a cement floor, or use an earthen floor in the tank??

You mention organic material, This is vegetation and animal matter which in turn produces photoplankton and zoo plankton, both supply the baby crays with food.

I have a spare tank at the moment and might give this a try. The tank has a cement floor so it may not be necessary to put clay in.

• Like 1

Hi, Crayfish,

Thank you for starting this great thread, I have enjoyed reading it very much. 

You mentioned you thought about growing red claw crayfish commercially but didn't. May I ask you a question? What if someone grow commercially (I meant 5-6 rai), Where is the market? I have not seen this crayfish being sold and served neither in market nor in restaurants. Is there really a market out there?  Do Thais really eat this crayfish? Or is it possible to export to China?

An interesting idea CLW.
Is the idea to put soil, clay and organic material on top of a cement floor, or use an earthen floor in the tank??
You mention organic material, This is vegetation and animal matter which in turn produces photoplankton and zoo plankton, both supply the baby crays with food.
I have a spare tank at the moment and might give this a try. The tank has a cement floor so it may not be necessary to put clay in.

Sealed floor such as concrete, plastic liner, tiles, etc

Hi cincytwboy.

You ask about the market for redclaws, I don't know for sure about the market but feel sure there is one both in Thailand and abroad. I know that Australia export redclaws to Europe and the demand there is big. I have had restaurants in my town asking for them but I cannot supply enough to meet their demand. I would imagine the upend hotels and restaurants in Bangkok would be interested in them.

Whwn I started this thread there were very few people breeding redclaws, now there are thousands, there are 4 people in my village breeding them.

If you think about doing this commercially you need to consider finding an agent abroad , such as Hongkong, Japan, Phillipines, Europe. The agent will buy them all and he then sells them on.

Search the internet for retailers etc.

Good luck

Hi Saluandnai.

Before you go ahead and purchace redclaws please read ( page 9 of this thread ) canuckamuck's post. He lives north of ChiangMai and had serious problems with the cold temperatures and lost his crays. How cold does it get where you live??? The crays can survive at 15 degrees but no lower.

Think of a way to heat your water in the cold season.

Good luck

PS. You can buy redclaws from "The King's project" at Doi Inthanon. Search the web

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/6/2560 at 8:49 AM, crayfish said:

Hi Saluandnai.

Before you go ahead and purchace redclaws please read ( page 9 of this thread ) canuckamuck's post. He lives north of ChiangMai and had serious problems with the cold temperatures and lost his crays. How cold does it get where you live??? The crays can survive at 15 degrees but no lower.

Think of a way to heat your water in the cold season.

Good luck

PS. You can buy redclaws from "The King's project" at Doi Inthanon. Search the web

• 3 weeks later...
Are Redclaws available at Chatuchak market and how they are called in Thai
Thanks for any advice!

They're widely available to buy from some night markets so I'm sure easily found at chatuchak depending on which day I guess, but never looked for them there to be honest, Not sure the Thai spelling but roughly pronounced Kong kam dang,, prices have dropped considerably over the last 9 months or so due to many people farming them, some of those have moved on to trying to breed ornamental (multicoloured crayfish) for the aquarium sales, my wife farms them, although at this stage she has only 3 ponds outside with an indoor area for breeding to stocking size,

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Hi Pink 7. The law in thailand requires you to register with your local fisheries department when keeping and breeding crayfish. There is no fee for this but they will come and inspect your setup to check that they cannot escape into local waterways and disrupt the local ecosystem. They came to inspect my setup about 3 months after I registered. The fine for not registering I believe is 1000 baht.

The Thai pronunciation for Red claw crayfish is Gang karb daeng. Gang = crayfish. Karb = claw. Daeng = red

• Like 1

Hi Pink 7. The law in thailand requires you to register with your local fisheries department when keeping and breeding crayfish. There is no fee for this but they will come and inspect your setup to check that they cannot escape into local waterways and disrupt the local ecosystem. They came to inspect my setup about 3 months after I registered. The fine for not registering I believe is 1000 baht.
The Thai pronunciation for Red claw crayfish is Gang karb daeng. Gang = crayfish. Karb = claw. Daeng = red

You spoilt my many attempts to get the pronunciation correct from my wife there Crayfish,,, hahaha,,, wife still thinks the pronunciation is as I typed but possibly Goong instead of Kung,, joking aside, I guess different locations have slightly varying pronunciations,,,
my thai is extremely limited so I'm almost totally reliant on the wife and kids to help me out,, hope your Crayfish are still coming on nicely, the wife lost around 350 Crays from our first attempt at pond growing after taking them from the pond and leaving them the following day in a slightly salted water solution in an effort to minimise any possible bacteria but the following morning 350 had perished, a bit disappointed to hear that as we hadn't lost any for the full timespan since they were introduced to the pond,, our breeders seem to be going well, got home from my work 10 days ago to news from the wife that 10 new berried females appeared on the day I arrived home

Sorry to hear your loss with the salt water, live and learn. The learning process with redclaws is never ending.

Regarding the pronunciation again, goong is a prawn where as gang is crayfish, in Thai = กั้งก้ามแดง. I made a mistake in my earlier translation with karb, it is garm and not karb. I think we have got it right now. you can check this on Google translate.

just out of interest, why did you remove the crays from the pond???

Sorry to hear your loss with the salt water, live and learn. The learning process with redclaws is never ending.
Regarding the pronunciation again, goong is a prawn where as gang is crayfish, in Thai = กั้งก้ามแดง. I made a mistake in my earlier translation with karb, it is garm and not karb. I think we have got it right now. you can check this on Google translate.
just out of interest, why did you remove the crays from the pond???

Thanks for the correction Crayfish, yes she removed them from the pond at that particular time because she planned to make her own calculations on growth difference and feeding requirements as there are also some comparable stock in plastic tanks too, the wife also intended to introduce some of the pond reared ones back into the breeding stock and trial out the remainder to some food trade businesses. This initial "trial" pond shall we say isn't very big, probably a maximum of 1100 Crayfish at capacity, we've dug out another 2 ponds with a planned capacity of around 3500 each in these,, the plan was to dig out another 4 ponds of similar capacity, and rotate monthly if possible,, the wife's planning was to stock 1 month old Crays into the pond and harvest after 5 months in the pond,, general size from our "trial" pond over a similar period was approx 5 inches,,, not sure whether she will achieve her target to sell somewhere I guess around 200 kg per month, personally I think it's too tall an order, but time will tell, the main thing is it's a product that's a shared interest to the family, even our 10 year old Daughter has got in on the act and made some videos of our breeding area and sold some around her school,,,

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...