Three killed in 'oxygen tank' blast: Thai police

webfact

Three killed in 'oxygen tank' blast: Thai police

BANGKOK, November 14, 2013 (AFP) - At least three people were killed and five injured when a blast thought to be from an oxygen tank tore through a dozen buildings in a province near Bangkok on Thursday, Thai police said.

Police said the incident was believed to have happened when customers returned an oxygen canister to a shop in Chachoengsao province.

"Three people including the shop owner were killed and of the five injured, three are in a critical condition," said local police officer Lieutenant Colonel Prompong Theptubtim.

He said the oxygen tank was bought to inflate balloons and was thought to have been shaken as it was returned.

Images on Thai media showed a body lying on the street outside rows of shops, many with their frontage blown out or severely damaged.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-14

Oxygen gas tank explosion kills 2 wounding 5

11-14-2013-10-18-12-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An oxygen gas tank exploded in the middle of the Chachoengsao town this morning killing two people and wounding 5 others.
Several cars and motorcycles in the area were also damaged as well as 10 other row wooden shop houses.

Witnesses told police that before the deafening explosion, a pickup truck came to have its gas tank filled with oxygen at a retailer shop located on Marupong road which runs parallel to the Bang Pakong river.

Shortly afterwards a deafening explosion was heard and the truck was badly damaged.

The powerful explosion killed two persons, including the driver of the truck and an employee of the shop, instantly.

Pieces of human flesh were strewn on the ground and vicinity.

Fortunately there was no fire after the explosion, the police said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oxygen-gas-tank-explosion-kills-2-wounding-5/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-14

Oxygen tank explosion death toll rises to four

11-14-2013-11-47-19-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two more persons seriously injured in an oxygen gas tank explosion in Chachoengsao this morning died from serious wounds at hospital late this morning.

Their deaths now raised the death toll from the explosion to four, and nine injured.

Police identified the couple who died at the scene of explosion as Surapon Pisoot, 50, and his wife Prathuang Boonry , 52.

Two others who died at hospital were Suradej Sawang-arom and Sak Thavornwong.

The explosion caused heavy damages to the pick-up truck which was seen to have its oxygen tank filled at a gas welding shop in the market, five cars and motorcycles, and 10 two-story row wooden shophouses.

Police said it was not immediately known what caused the explosion but nearby residents said they heard of gas leak noise from a 1.5 oxygen gas tank in front of the welding shop.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oxygen-tank-explosion-death-toll-rises-four/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-14

Gas tanks need to be inspected from time to time.

Absolutely ... Though I have never seen it here, maybe some dive tanks but LPG / CNG ?????? not to mention cooking gas bottles ...

Even on some dive tanks there is a problem...I have seen some with next inspection 2005 and it was 2011 when I saw them.

And on all some air bubbled out...neck or valve.

Bad luck as well...usually when they brake they don't fully explode.

Beside Oxygen tanks are sensitive to oil and grease which might start burning on itself with O2.

cooking gas bottles are due to the low pressure relative insensitive. But if they leak the there is a lot burnable gas coming out.

In those reports above theres 3 different causes sighted ,1)shaken the bottle ?

2)Filling the bottle ,most likely cause,faulty bottle,too much air, and 3) Gas leak

noise. why is it so difficult getting to the truth here, 1 subject , umpteen theories,

and different stories,

RIP the dead,

regards Worgeordie

I've never seen a threaded on safety cap used on oxygen tanks in Thailand, even on trucks with dozens on board. It is used in the USA in case the fitting is jarred during transport as it can break off. That might have happened here as witnesses reported the noise of escaping gas, which would be quite loud if the neck broke off.

I've never seen a threaded on safety cap used on oxygen tanks in Thailand, even on trucks with dozens on board. It is used in the USA in case the fitting is jarred during transport as it can break off. That might have happened here as witnesses reported the noise of escaping gas, which would be quite loud if the neck broke off.

It's like trying to find a set belt in the back seat of a taxi... Sad, very sad.

The cylinder cap is used to protect the valve, if the valve is snapped off the cylinder then becomes a torpedo if it is full (around 3000 PSI) and can go through a 10 foot wall of concrete. Most of the countries in Asia do not use cylider caps on any of there high pressure cylinders and I am surprised that there are not more accidents. But this has to be something differnet going on here as oxygen or inert gases are usely not explosive, in this maner. Maybe they where trying to transfill from a larger cylinder to a smaller cylinder which is very dangerous.

But from the pictures I would suspect that it was probably some type of fuel gas like acetylene, LPG or Hydrogen, which are very explosive, especially acetylene as it shock sensitive when not stablized or used at to high of pressure.

You don't use Oxygen tanks for balloons ... Compressed air or is it Helium for the floaters .... RIP

Helium is expensive possibly hydrogen.

Whatever 'you do not use oxygen' to inflate balloons' "balloons buffoons" at least there are now 3 less than before... cheesy.gif

That explosion is more than just a ruptured pressure canister. My guess is that they were filling a gas/acetylene tank with oxygen. Just a small amount of residue gas when mixed with pure oxygen, will produce a powerful explosion.

I was thinking that too. Something created a fuel-oxy mix and explosion. Acetylene was in the shop and like you say, it doesn't take much. Very sad for the families of those in the area.

Original thread does not make much sense. Compressed gas cylinders are color coded to avoid erroneous filling and it is highly unlikely that anyone would fill an acetylene tank with oxygen or vise versa. A mixture of these gasses would most certainly lead to a violent explosive detonation with the occurrence of a fire ball which was not mentioned. This type of explosive damage was not caused by a valve neck failure as it would have turned a charged cylinder into a missile. It is more likely that it was caused by metal fatigue and or corrosion of a cylinder which had not undergone the routine inspections. Standard safety regulation dictate that pressurized cylinders should have routine inspections on a 2 to 4 yer basis depending on the cylinder manufacture and condition. Such inspection certifications are date stamped on the cylinder neck and no cylinder out of certification should ever be filled with pressurized gas. Furthermore all pressurized industrial gas cylinders should be fitted with a safety cap especially during transportation. Whatever happened her was in all probability a significant violation of safety protocols and legal requirements however in Thailand such conditions are common place.

• Like 2

Original thread does not make much sense. Compressed gas cylinders are color coded to avoid erroneous filling and it is highly unlikely that anyone would fill an acetylene tank with oxygen or vise versa. A mixture of these gasses would most certainly lead to a violent explosive detonation with the occurrence of a fire ball which was not mentioned. This type of explosive damage was not caused by a valve neck failure as it would have turned a charged cylinder into a missile. It is more likely that it was caused by metal fatigue and or corrosion of a cylinder which had not undergone the routine inspections. Standard safety regulation dictate that pressurized cylinders should have routine inspections on a 2 to 4 yer basis depending on the cylinder manufacture and condition. Such inspection certifications are date stamped on the cylinder neck and no cylinder out of certification should ever be filled with pressurized gas. Furthermore all pressurized industrial gas cylinders should be fitted with a safety cap especially during transportation. Whatever happened her was in all probability a significant violation of safety protocols and legal requirements however in Thailand such conditions are common place.

Check the details on right and left hand threads on oxy and acetylene bottles

A Thai friend has a pay-at-the-pump gas pump on the front wall of his house. I won't go there anymore.

Can't tell you how many scooter boys smoke while filling.

Likely what happened here. As it would with hydrogen, which fuels the sun, and the Hindenburg.

Helium is the appropriate choice for balloons.

"a pickup truck came to have its gas tank filled with oxygen at a retailer shop" - if this is really true, someone filled OXYGEN into an LPG GAS container... it is pure luck that "only" 2 died. RIP to the victims and quick recovery for the injured.

However - if the explosion was truly triggered because the quoted part is true, and the two dead are A ) the person who had this glorious idea, and B ) the person who was crazy enough to try this, I guess it was god's swift punishment for utter stupidity and he took them out before they can harm any more people in their path...

Edited by catweazle

A Thai friend has a pay-at-the-pump gas pump on the front wall of his house. I won't go there anymore.

Can't tell you how many scooter boys smoke while filling.

Likely what happened here. As it would with hydrogen, which fuels the sun, and the Hindenburg.

Helium is the appropriate choice for balloons.

The scooter boys fill up with oxygen?

As someone who handles LOX,GOX, LIN and gaseous N2 on a daily basis I shudder at some of the antics I see of people handling cylinders in Thailand. I'm surprised accidents like this don't happen more often.

I've watched guys manhandling O2 cylinders while smoking. I've never seen safety caps screwed over valves. I shuddered when I watched one guy show off how he could roll 2 standing up OXY cylinders, one in each hand, then flip them into the back of a pickup valve first.

They've obvously never had safety training or seen the results of a snapped off valve or an OXY fire.