What's your night-time, air-con temperature?

simon43

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Thailand for 30 years, I always had the air running all night at between 23-24c.

When my family opened a coffee shop downstairs I got a huge electricity bill at the end of the first month.

I went on a save electricity rampage,... fine tuning the temperature of all the fridges and freezers, limiting the air in the coffee shop when really needed (rarely), limited use of the oven (weekend baking only) AND finally sleeping WITHOUT the air in my bedroom !!!!w00t.gif

Since cooling the room with the air then turning it off and sleeping with a FAN ONLY I have felt much more refreshed, no headaches, no sinus blocking problems, no aches and pains in the joints and feel a lot healthier and refreshed generally.

My advice then is:

1) cool the room in the evening whist you watch TV or whatever you do!

2) Buy a nice big fan, big blades that can go down to slow speed is best.

3) Just before you retire aim the fan to suit your preference.

4) TURN OFF THE AIR FOR THE NIGHT !!! w00t.gif

I am surprised I have stayed comfortably cool all night and at times have had to bury myself in the duvet.

My Electricity bill has come way down clap2.gif

We very seldom use the aircon in either the living room or the bedroom and when we do it is for no more than an hour or so at a time. A ceiling fan is used in both rooms whenever we are at home though I use a stand alone fan in the bedroom when working on my PC as the ceiling fan is too far away to be effective.

Alan

At home I only use it maybe 5 times a year when heat & humidity are at their worse. Then set it at 25 degrees.

I'm on the 15th floor of a condo near the water so there's almost always a breeze. Normally sleep with a fan which is sufficient for cooling and to muffle any street sounds . Since I'm used to the windows and balcony doors always being open, I feel claustrophobic when I shut everything to run the AC.

In hotels, especially in Bangkok, it usually takes some experimenting since the temperature setting seldom has a very close relation to what result you get.

PM Yingluck requested earlier this year, that we set the thermostats to 25C to save energy. I use fan during the day and AC at night set to 24 - 25C.

An Aussie mate used to complain bitterly about his electricity bill and I found that his thermostats were set at 18C. In the UK the regulation office temperature is or was 18C and here 24C. Thais think it is cold if the temperature drops below 24C and put on balaclavas, woolly jumpers and gloves. Whereas the Brits rush to the beach when the temperature rises to 18C. My wife's sister has just come around for some woolly jumpers as she is feeling cold in Bangkok with the current weather.

25C is fine during the day. 22-23 in the bedroom but I like to sleep in a cold room and be warm under a duvet. Maybe I ought to buy some fans, might cut my 6k electric bill.

You might just need to service your A/C units, if your cost is that high.

I have two refrigerators, three 42" TV's, Mac Mini, 32" monitor, two sewing machines, and two iPads, going everyday, with the iPads being charged two or three times a day, and my electric bill only cost 2,800 bht per month, but I also keep my A/C services/cleaned every six months.

I think it's better than pouring out electric on inefficient appliances.

We all must live comfortably...well maintenance appliances help keep the cost down while doing so...

My preferred temp is about 2 degrees lower than the outside temp at night. Just enough so the A/C keeps running intermittently, circulates some air and removes the moisture.

It's not the temp, it's the humidity that bothers me- sleeping in sweat and all. Plus, I'm allergic to mold, and mildew and everything that grows in this humid climate.

In fact, I'd shut the A/C off at night if I had a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down. That would be after I had cooled the place down from the oven it is when I get home from work.

An aircon actually dries the air.You need a humidifier to put the moisture back.

this time of year i set the ac at 25c at night. car 26c, office 25c. During the day I have the dehumidifer on at home and it keeps the place between 48-53 % humidity and the temp tends to be within 2 degrees up/down of the outside temp but feels great with lower humidity(except when there is a storm, then humidity goes above 60%). there are few moments during the year(in bkk and pattaya) that I could possibly use just fans and dehumidifiers to sleep at night without having heat rashes from scratching. but when i go home to montana i keep the temp at 25c too, which is much warmer than locals do, the trouble though is dry skin and frequent application of lotion.

About 18C at night and 24C or less in the daytime. That's because it is the normal temp this time of year in my area so the climate is the air conditioning. It's why I chose to live in the mountains.

I think I have been in Thailand too long. My first thought was "how can anybody enjoy such a cold environment".

I keep mine at about 28 , mostly to ease the humidity in the air.

I have this a/c, made by a local company, for seven years and it has operated fine. Except, that about a year ago, no matter what I did, the temperature would not go to 30 degrees where I always kept it when using it during the day times in the summer - just to keep it mostly less humid, especially when using my cpu. I attempted to have the sensor (thermostat, by whatever name) changed, however several a/c companies plus the manufacturer told me that Thais don't like the temperature to go above 28 so therefore my a/c would not go over that (even though it had done so the previous six years)! The problem probably is not in the remote as there are lights on the unit which tell the presently set temperature and that shows 30 whereas I have two thermometers in different parts of the room which show 28!

One tech refused to come back when I tried to explain that it was a machine that was built to operate in a certain way and did not operate according to Thai wishes or superstition! Am not going to spend another 20-30 thousand baht for another a/c - other than that - any thoughts on the subject? Do they have exorcisms for a/c units?

Edited by snooky

Now with the temp outside reasonably low I go with 25, when the days (and nights) warm up I go down to 23.

During the day @ home - fan and windows open, @ work 25 but on for a few hours until midday, if there wasn't so much construction and so many trucks going past I would just open the windows at work...too dusty to do that currently.

Right now the temperatures are plenty cool in Udon. My aircon has been off for many weeks, and my ceiling fan is just fine. Most nights, the temperature is around 22, sometimes lower. I am actually using a blanket. The fan is just for ambiance....the noise and the breeze. Great weather, and even better in Dec and Jan.

I installed a 5-blade ceiling fan in the master bedroom and normally set it on "2" most nights. If too hot or humid, I set the a/c at 24 and the ceiling fan on "1". My girlfriend pulls the blanket up to her chin, but I use only the top sheet. (We live 35 klicks north of Chiang Rai).

23 in the master bedroom from sundown to sunup, open the sliding doors on the seventeenth floor corner condo from sunup to sundown, very comfortable, electric bill is 1,700 a month

from my iPad in CHA-AM

Edited by ocean268