What's your night-time, air-con temperature?

simon43

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I came here (from Sweden) 5 years ago, I set the AC on 17 nights and 25 in daytime. It was very cold for the ladies who slept with me sometimes. Now I have 25 day and night. It´still too cold for my Thai wife. She need an extra blanket.

The body temperature drops when sleeping. Living in Isaan if I use the air con and not the fan, I set it at 26 to cool the room and then 27 or 28 degrees is comfortable, with the fan on very low or off and set for energy mode.

Thai people if using air put the temp very low and then put a thick comforter on them, instead of a higher temp and no need for a thick comforter. On a cool night, with screened windows open a fan is ususally sufficient.

Hotel guests tend to abuse the air and leave it on when they go out, since they are paying for it and may not have air at home. I lived in a house with a/c in 5 upper floor bedrooms, really only used in our bedroom, unless we had guests.

24C, but I would prefer 25 or 26C, if I could keep the humidity down.

I can set my Panasonic a/c's to dry or cool, don't use auto. Set it in the bedroom at 27 or 28 and the setting depending on the humidity. Fans during the day unless very humid or none if it's like it is at the moment.

Fans are better for the throat !

But not directly in your face, or head. I can get a cold in a draft when it is 90 degrees, more so if the temp is cooler.

I direct the fan towards my feet but enough air circulates to keep the mosquitos away.

In hotels in India for long periods we used to set the air on when we went out and then turned it off when we retuned, being hot and the room cool..

Agreed, about 2dg lower than outside temperature. however, I have noticed when the AC is set to 28dg my other thermometer indicates it's 26dg....I'm not sure which is more accurate.

Either way, I find cooling the room between 9pm and 12 midnight is enough before switching from AC to wall fan.

Many of the Asian communities enjoy cranking up the AC while diving under a duvet....they pay the same rate whatever the temperature. It costs the hotel more but if you minimise cool air leakage then at least the AC works more efficiently and over the course of a year you will save on your bills.

When it is really hot season (when isn't it?) I like to sleep at 27 C but my Thai partner likes 25 or lower - even though he grew up without A/C. When the outside temp is below 31C - we just use a fan.

Anything below 29 degrees is chilly, which seems rather upside-down for the tropics -- particularly if there's a ceiling fan going. Personally, I prefer 30 at night (with a fan), and cover up with a sheet to keep the flying beasties under control.

Anything below 29 degrees is chilly, which seems rather upside-down for the tropics -- particularly if there's a ceiling fan going. Personally, I prefer 30 at night (with a fan), and cover up with a sheet to keep the flying beasties under control.

Do you live in the South ? Here in Pattaya the temp at night goes to under 25 in dry season, meaning double blankets.

I seem to smell a trend here. Those acclimitized to tropics never go under 25, but office dwellers and n00bs go as low as the AC can. There's a huge difference in electric bills, getting used to tropics pays off.

No air cons at home

A 30*C is fine with a blanket and an overhead fan. (I wear warm clothes, in the street, some time between November and January ) and feel like a fish ( in water ) at 35*C. I should add that cold shower is a No No, whatever the ambient temperature

Funny enough, when my spouse (Thai, who loves cold weather) and I take a vacation, spending our nights at hotels we set the temperature at low, extra blankets ( I am from Europe, mild climate )

We literally dive in the beds and have the longest nights ever ( talking about sleeping of course) which can last up to ten hours whereas I barely sleep five hours in Thailand

Edited by alyx

23 or 24 for sleeping, but 25 if I need it during the day.

Once it gets to like 26, there's no point because by that time I'm sweating anyway (that's 79F) so I might as well run the fan and sweat without adding to the electric bill. Or just knock it down to 25.

• Like 1

A temperature lower than 30 deg is OK with me, day or night. 30 and above I find uncomfortable. So I set my A/C at 29. Incidentally I find Thai cinemas and A/C buses/trains far too cold and always carry extra clothing if I have to use them.

nobody here has the kind of wife that puts airco at 23°C & then crazely covers the whole body except the head and cannot make her put the airco off even a minute ?

bills in the 4000 baht

drives me crazy !!!!!!!!!!

blanket as thick for a european winter.... claimes she is used to it ...

waiste of money

I use my aircon only, when I am sick. Usually no aircon, no fan, only windows opened. I am used to that and it makes it easy to go out and not get knocked out because of the temperature difference. November at Phangan is so cold, that I even use a thick blanket at night biggrin.png

nobody here has the kind of wife that puts airco at 23°C & then crazely covers the whole body except the head and cannot make her put the airco off even a minute ?

bills in the 4000 baht

drives me crazy !!!!!!!!!!

blanket as thick for a european winter.... claimes she is used to it ...

waiste of money

I do......Idecided not to install any at home, cutting short all arguments as well as the bills

Don't have any A/C at home (Bkk) so a fan suffices. However I do not like the swing option. I lay there as the cool air is wafted over me and then am waiting for the next one and so on which keeps me awake.

Temp? I'm OK with 25 - 28 C with a low continual stream of fan.

Re: why the Asians in hotels turn up the air until it's like Finland in December, I think they really like to be snug warm under a duvet plus they feel as they are paying for it, let's get the max value!