Buying A Snake

Hi, maybe this should be in the pets section. not sure, sorry if that's the case. Simple question. I want to buy my son a small. harmless snake for his birthday - any tips on where to buy?

Thanks,

Seonai

Hi, maybe this should be in the pets section. not sure, sorry if that's the case. Simple question. I want to buy my son a small. harmless snake for his birthday - any tips on where to buy?

Thanks,

Seonai

Never seen a snake in a pet shop here; most Thai people throw rocks or start beating the poor creatures with a stick on sight, regardless of whether or not they're posionous. :o

Why don't you ask some of your neighbours to catch one for you? There must be snakes everywhere in Koh Yao.

Failing that, I'd try asking at one of the snake shows in Phuket or Ao Nang. They mostly keep venomous snakes, but they get them all through their local contacts, so they may be able to find you a harmless green grass snake, or something of that nature.

we had a small green and black snake at our place this morning seonai. he was beautiful too. i gave him directions to your place. expect a hiss at the door any time soon!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Bought a reticulated Python from CHatucah market and brought her down south with me in the train now worries. REtics might to big for your young one to start of with, A ball Python should be the best. Chatuchak section d has a few good reptile shops, try them out.

On that note does any body knoew the legislation on import and export permits for snakes as I wantr to start breeding, Lex is just over 1o fot know so she is ready for some company.

Thanks you guys

eug

Seonai ... did you find your snake?

If not I'll head to JJ next weekend and take a look (I actually think they do pet animal marke day on Wed too ... but not sure) and have a look ....

I probably CAN find an iguana in Phuket but since I want one that is a little used to being handled ... I was gonna look up here first :o

Hi,

I live in Thung Song ( close to Nakornsri ) I know of two buremese pythons waint to be sold, They in a realy good shape and use to handeling. Let me know if you interrested. JJ secion d is open trough out the week for pet sales.

Hi, I live between UK and Thailand and have been a reptile trader/breeder for the last 20 years. Chatuchak is about the only place to find a wide selection of snakes. I would suggest also a Ball Python (Python Regius) if it is a boid (boa/python) that you want. Rarely do they bite or exceed 5 feet in length.

Retics are my speciality and I have the first clutch of Albino Retics now hatching ever in the UK! They are hugely aggressive snakes, very large and have the potential to kill a man. PS - To the other poster - how old is your Retic? Usually they will not breed until after their fourth winter although my Kayuadi Dwarf retics bred in their third year. Also to the same guy - no import or export of live snakes allowed for the forseeable future. Plenty of US colubrids are available in Chatuchak but these are usually smuggled in.

I would seriously not be keeping a Burmese Python or Retic in Thailand unless you have permission to do so, as this is a definite no no here. I had a pair of Albino Burmese, 1 Male Granite Burmese and a Leopard Burmese Female (ALL CAPTIVE BRED COLOUR FORMS) and they still brought the hammer down on me even in my remote village in Buriram!

www.viperandvine.com

Lex, my feamle retic is headng for one year now and is just touching 6 foot. She was a bit agressive when I just got her, but she is so chilled now. She has never bitten me So for all has ben well, almost the whole comunity knows about her and comes to vissit her often. I try and do some education on the locals as Retics are becomming less in Thailand. So far Karma has trwated us well. I might be relocating to Bali soon and this could opposze some promblems. Anu suggestions?

eug