I've accidentally overstayed my 90-days reporting

I have a 1 year work permit, and I assumed having that automatically gave me 1 year residency permission also.

But I assumed wrong, I found out today I should be reporting every 90 days to say I am still in the country. I haven't done that at all, not once. What's the damage?

It seems strange, I have the valid work permit so clearly the authorities know I am here, and I pay tax every month, but apparently I'm supposed to get my passport stamped every 90 days.

Whats the best way to deal with this?

considering I am probably several months late, would it be cheaper for me to lose my passport?

Edited by razorramone

A work permit does not allow you to stay in the country. Only a visa or extension does that.

If seems you may have an extension of stay since you mention 90 day reports. That is not overstay and the fine is 2000 baht.

If you have been here without getting an extension or making border runs every 90 days because you have a multiple entry visa then you are on overstay. The fine is 500 baht a day up to a max of 20,00 baht. And you will need to leave and get a new visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

He may be overstay and that could be a 20k fine but if only late address reporting the fine will be 2k if he visits immigration to pay it.

If fine is only 2000 Bht, I would be very happy to pay this every year, just to circumvent this 90 day reporting circus. Not going on "overstay", just wanting to avoid the 90 day ritual.

OK ?

Thanks & cheers.

• Like 2

I don't think you have any choice other than to go in and hope for the best.

Did you get the visa yourself, or company or lawyer ?

My point is they should have told you, not that will cut any ice with immigration.

S

PS, Unless you're on a marriage or similar visa shouldn't you have been leaving the country every 90 days anyway ?

Edited by SDM0712

When you got your extension of stay, they should have told you and gave you the white paper in your passport that states when you should report for the 90 days. As others have stated for not reporting it is a small fine. Do not do it on purpose though because like overstay it pisses them off.

You can have someone do the 90 day for you or you can do it by mail. It isn't a big deal. It isn't every 30 days.

ubonjoe, on 17 Nov 2013 - 15:05, said:ubonjoe, on 17 Nov 2013 - 15:05, said:

A work permit does not allow you to stay in the country. Only a visa or extension does that. If seems you may have an extension of stay since you mention 90 day reports. That is not overstay and the fine is 2000 baht. If you have been here without getting an extension or making border runs every 90 days because you have a multiple entry visa then you are on overstay. The fine is 500 baht a day up to a max of 20,00 baht. And you will need to leave and get a new visa.

Just checked in my passport: I have 3 things, a B work visa and a multiple re-entry permit - both valid until mid next year. Then a 90 day notice paper which is expired by 4 months.

I figured the 90 day thing was just for tourists, or the work visa would make it obsolete.

My company does all visa stuff for us so that's why I didn't pay much attention until now.

the paper is quite vague, states a max fine of 5,000 and an additional fine of 200 baht each day.

What would happen if I lost my passport?

Edited by razorramone

A B visa does not allow more than a 90 day stay and a multi entry B visa would not require a re-entry permit so you must have an extension of stay for work until next year. That requires 90 day reporting if you stay longer than 90 days at any time.

Not really. This fine is for voluntarily late reporting. If they catch you, you might be arrested and face a court appearance and fines are higher.

Btw to the op ... The receipt for reporting is not being stamped in your passport, but rather stapled in your passport so you don't lose a page every time.

He may be overstay and that could be a 20k fine but if only late address reporting the fine will be 2k if he visits immigration to pay it.

If fine is only 2000 Bht, I would be very happy to pay this every year, just to circumvent this 90 day reporting circus. Not going on "overstay", just wanting to avoid the 90 day ritual.

OK ?

Thanks & cheers.

You don't have a B visa you have an extension of stay based upon working.

You will pay a fine of 2000 baht. The 5k and 200 baht numbers are the maximum you would have to pay.

I think loosing your passport would cost more than the fine. Plus immigration keeps the report records on a computer.

I wont be going to changwattana myself, I checked and my company will go for me. But I have to wait until tomorrow for them to figure out what the damage will be first.

To whoever said I don't have a visa, I definitely do. I am looking at it in my passport right now:

first page: non immigrant visa, category B.

next page: Non-B stay permit.

third page: 1 year extension plus re-entry permit.

Anyway thanks for the help, I was imagining a huge 50k+ fine. If its 2k that's okay. Lucky I found this out before visiting home at Christmas :)

Edited by razorramone

I wont be going to changwattana myself, I checked and my company will go for me. But I have to wait until tomorrow for them to figure out what the damage will be first.

To whoever said I don't have a visa, I definitely do. I am looking at it in my passport right now:

Anyway thanks for the help, I was imagining a huge 50k+ fine. If its 2k that's okay. Lucky I found this out before visiting home at Christmas smile.png

You have a current Extension of Permission to Stay, but your visa will without doubt have expired by now (this is irrelevant since visas are for entry only, not stay) if you still want to come and go then that's why you need the Re-Entry Permit - to preserve your Extension of Stay which is not and never will be a visa.

2,000 THB is the typical fine for a self declared late 90 day report, 'fess up your self and sometimes the officer will only ask for 1,000 THB, but not offer you a receipt........

Edited by digitalchromakey

OK ?

Thanks & cheers.

The 90 day reporting does not have to be done in person.

You can do it via mail(if your Imm-office allows it) or send some one to do it.

There are also private companies that can take care of it for you.

Once I missed a couple of 90 day reports and they charged me the 2000 baht so I jokingly asked them what would happen if I just rolled up on my extension date once a year without having reported at all and offered to shell out the 2000 baht. They said if it was obviously a "habit" they had the discretion to hit me with the max penalty.

I didn't do the 90 day report for years - about 4. I was often over past the 90 days when I flew out of Suvarnabumi airport. Had re-entry permit and came back, no problem. I would remove the little piece of paper. It drove my company's lawyer nuts and she would freak out, but I traveled about every 4 months and I think they dont care about this at Suvarnabumi Immigration. But I have heard land crossings are a different story. Also, I do not know about Don Muang, but I suspect it is like Swampy. Once we went for annual renewal and the lawyer (young girl) was shitting bricks. I took the paper out and the officers just did the renewal and asked nothing. Perhaps lucky.

Obviously this is against the law, and as others have pointed out if you get picked up for something you could be in trouble. But if you are going to fly out for holidays in a couple weeks, you might just wait and skip the whole issue.

Also, I believe that if you are over the 90 days and report to Chang Wattana, you must do that in person. If it is simply reporting 90 day address - this can be done by others on your behalf or via the post, as others have pointed out.

I do my 90 days report by post, very easy. I always mark my next 90 day report 15 days before the 90 days are up. However, on one occasion I must have turned over two pages at once, and so when it came to send the report, I was a month late. I went to Immigration and told them I had made a mistake, and paid the B2,000 fine.

A German friend who has had a manufacturing business here for 35 years and never likes to pay any fines, also forgot his 90 day report and refused to pay it. He spoke to the officer in charge and she gave up with him and suggested that a she was due to go to Hong Kong in a few days he could take the risk that he doesn't get stopped before he reaches the airport. So he did not pay the B2,000, went to Hong Kong and returned, setting the 90 day clock back to zero.

If you work for a company they should include the 90 day reporting in their responsibilities. However, you should always check all the documentation to ensure that it is correct.

razorramone said:

Previously, some said 90 days reporting can be done 5 days before and after.

My wife and I were late one day last month and there was no fine.

90 days report means you have to update the immigration of your present address. So you have to be there every 90 days to inform them your exact address.

OK ?

Thanks & cheers.

I have seen several posters say they do it and when they go in for the yearly extension only pay a 2,000 baht fine. I suppose they get away with it because they proudly post it. I wonder what would happen if they got an officer who was having a bad day.

You do not have to go in just fill in the form and have your girl friend take it in for you. As long as the papers are in order they don't care who takes it in. The forms are downloadable from a section in the visa forum. Here in Chiang Mai if you go in in the afternoon it can be any where from a three minute to a half hour. With the odd exception. The mornings are a bit busier. As has been said if you go in now you will get a 2,000 baht fine and a new 90 day to report date.

I do my 90 days report by post, very easy. I always mark my next 90 day report 15 days before the 90 days are up. However, on one occasion I must have turned over two pages at once, and so when it came to send the report, I was a month late. I went to Immigration and told them I had made a mistake, and paid the B2,000 fine.

A German friend who has had a manufacturing business here for 35 years and never likes to pay any fines, also forgot his 90 day report and refused to pay it. He spoke to the officer in charge and she gave up with him and suggested that a she was due to go to Hong Kong in a few days he could take the risk that he doesn't get stopped before he reaches the airport. So he did not pay the B2,000, went to Hong Kong and returned, setting the 90 day clock back to zero.

If you work for a company they should include the 90 day reporting in their responsibilities. However, you should always check all the documentation to ensure that it is correct.

Depends on where you live. Here in Chiang Mai there is a lot of uncertainty over the reliability of mailing in. Some say if you live close in they just put them in the round file as to where you are far enough out to mail them in no one knows. There have been claims by people that they know but they never tell what the boundaries are.

My last 90 day report I asked the clerk she asked me where I lived and I said to close to mail it but if I was to move out of the area would I be able to post it? She was honesty enough to tell me you can take a chance.

Anyway thanks for the help, I was imagining a huge 50k+ fine. If its 2k that's okay. Lucky I found this out before visiting home at Christmas :)

If you have to exit the country before your WP & Visa renewal date, don't do anything and just reset the 90 day clock from the date you re-enter Thailand. As long as when you are exiting exiting Thailand you don't have the last 90 day reporting slip inside your passport no questions are asked.

Wait a second. OP: Have you left the country and returned in the four-month period. If you did, your arrival card stamp resets the 90-day clock. So you did not have to do the 90-day report. Look at your last Permission to Stay stamp, add 90 days and that's when you have to do your report.

I missed my 90-day check a few years back and thought never mind I'll pay the 2k fine at the airport at Xmas when I was leaving on my annual trip back home. At the airport nobody cared, I flew out and didn't pay a baht. When I came back the 90-day starts again. I didn't have a problem at annual renewal. Other teachers I work with have had to cough up at annual renewal as they hadn't left the country. I've done this three times with no problems.

Same as the above guy... I went to immigration to report my 90 days. I thought it was from when I did my retirement visa, but they said that the 90 days started from when I entered the country, not the last time I could prove I was at immigration.

I stormed out without paying and when I left the country, nobody at the airport made me pay anything.