New Zealander killed in Samui car crash

webfact

It's possible that the name of the unfortunate deceased is actually Brown Frank, though it is far more likely that, as is common in this country, the Thai reporter has transposed the given and family names. A simple understanding of foreign names, both farang and others, and a rigorous check, would go some way in adding to the accuracy and integrity of such reportage.

I really enjoying reading posts about bad punctuation, mis-spelling or (in this case) possible transposed names. Shame the posters haven't got more important things to do in their lives.  Hopefully my spelling and grammar is OK 

Almost mate! Almost! Should have been 'are OK' though. If your spelling is OK and your grammar is OK, then your spelling and grammar are OK

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Edwin, I htink you might want to re-read the article. It didn

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

Obviously you have never been on Samui.

There are no roads with two lanes here.

I do enjoy it when people say "obviously". I lived on Samui from 2003 to 2006 before moving to the mainland. "Obviously" you suffer from the same malady as the the person I relied to; You don't read things before properly before smashing away on your keyboard. You say there are no roads with two lane on Samui. The article and myself when quoting the article mentioned a fast lane, not a two lane dual carriageway or motorway. Regarding no roads with two lanes, most of the roads on Samui have two lanes - one going in each directon but if you mean that there are no roads with two lanes going in one direction then you're correct. Except the road on the way to and way back to Nathon from Maenam where there is two lanes going up the hill each direction.. Oh and isn't there one on the way Lamai fron Chaweng when you go up the hill? Apart from that. Good solid work mate.

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

I do enjoy it when people say "obviously". I lived on Samui from 2003 to 2006 before moving to the mainland. "Obviously" you suffer from the same malady as the the person I relied to; You don't read things before properly before smashing away on your keyboard. You say there are no roads with two lane on Samui. The article and myself when quoting the article mentioned a fast lane, not a two lane dual carriageway or motorway. Regarding no roads with two lanes, most of the roads on Samui have two lanes - one going in each directon but if you mean that there are no roads with two lanes going in one direction then you're correct. Except the road on the way to and way back to Nathon from Maenam where there is two lanes going up the hill each direction.. Oh and isn't there one on the way Lamai fron Chaweng when you go up the hill? Apart from that. Good solid work mate.

Also apart ropm that -xxxxx up as it does say "fast speed" and not fast lane!! Monday morning blues strike again so apologies to Edwin!!

Edited by Rooo

I think you should read it again Alwyn, it says "fast speed".

That's the truck drivers story.

Apologies to Edwin, I read fast lane and was a total muppet!! Avoman. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Tourist killed in Thailand not a Kiwi
A tourist killed in a crash crash in Thailand was not a New Zealander as Thai media had initially reported, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) has confirmed.
Initial reports suggested a 65-year-old Kiwi had died when his car collided with a rubbish truck at high speed.
A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car.
''Our embassy had been contacted about the incident but it has since been confirmed that this person was not a New Zealander.''
- © Fairfax NZ News

A good reason to get all your facts, including identity correct prior to rushing off and making a media statement. I assume that Frank Browns family are relieved that he isn't dead contrary to a Police investigation.

UPDATE:

A tourist killed in a crash crash in Thailand was not a New Zealander as Thai media had initially reported, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) has confirmed.

Initial reports suggested a 65-year-old Kiwi had died when his car collided with a rubbish truck at high speed.

A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car.

"Our embassy had been contacted about the incident but it has since been confirmed that this person was not a New Zealander."
- © Fairfax NZ News

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9413301/Tourist-killed-in-Thailand-not-a-Kiwi

-- stuff 2013-11-18

UPDATE:

"Our embassy had been contacted about the incident but it has since been confirmed that this person was not a New Zealander."

- © Fairfax NZ News

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9413301/Tourist-killed-in-Thailand-not-a-Kiwi

-- stuff 2013-11-18

Another elite investigation by Thailand's finest investigators. This is the main reason you don't release details until identity has been confirmed and the family notified.

Edited by chooka

Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person.

Mr. Frank’s body is appointed for autopsy at Koh Samui Hospital to find any presence of alcohol in his blood.

Rest in Peace! Time for the country of hubs to stop vehicles without functioning lights. A sad end of a holiday for all involved.-wai2.gif

Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person.

Mr. Frank’s body is appointed for autopsy at Koh Samui Hospital to find any presence of alcohol in his blood.

Rest in Peace! Time for the country of hubs to stop vehicles without functioning lights. A sad end of a holiday for all involved.-wai2.gif

I believe he is still alive.

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

Yes standard practice, and when you are a spoilt XXXXXXX  your court case gets postponed for years and you hop to another paradise Singapore to spent some quality time with Papa's Cavallino Motors money.

You mean it was a Red Bull garbage truck?

• Like 1

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

You might want to follow your own advice and read the article again, as it clearly states : " Mr. Frank’s car, which was driven in a fast speed, slammed hard into the back of the truck, according to Mr. Aphirak.

???

The garbage collector car's driver wasn't do anything bad. He did his work as every day. If you see the garbage car collects litter probably you have to know this stands or goes very small speed.

So I don't understand at all this "reckless driving".

Rest in Peace NZ old buddy. wai.gif

December 2009 - the very nasty bend between Hin Ta Hin Yai and Huathanon. Three brothers from Watford, UK, had been out drinking in Lamai and were going home at around 1am. They were drunk and had some of the bargirls take them home on motorbikes. One of the brothers' bikes (driven by a sober girl) crashed head-first into a garbage truck which was travelling at very high speed in the opposite direction, and had cut across the dangerous bend and crashed into the opposite side of the road about 200m along (near Krua Chaoban) and flipped over. The girl died instantly, the guy died at about 5am from loss of blood from a major artery in his leg.

I witnessed it, acted as translator and consoled the brothers at the hospital. I didn't know them beforehand. I can say with authority that the garbage truck was travelling very fast (too fast to take the bend in his own lane and fast enough to tip this very heavy vehicle) and was entirely at fault. I cannot honestly remember if its lights were all on - but the street lighting was very poor, the road surface was recently-tarmacced and very black and the bend is notorious for accidents as well.

Therefore your first paragraph is uninformed and actually pretty disrespectful. Your second one is much better.

I believe he is still alive.

The car does belong to Frank, who is in New Zealand.

The driver was someone that was trying to sell it for him.

We drove past this accident on the way to the Ferry early Friday morning - about 04.30.

It was at the far end of Maenam before the turn into the the Lompraya Ferry terminal.

It was dry - no rain at that time.

It is somewhat dark at that end of the road, but not pitch black even at night.

The vehicles were in the left hand lane, not the "fast lane" as someone said.

Whether the truck had sufficient lights showing was difficult to judge due to the large number of emergency vehicle lights flashing and of course we were just driving past, not stopping to rubber-neck.

Very little traffic on the road at that time of the morning, ambulance still on the scene so probably did not happen too long before we went through.

• Like 1

A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car

That is one way of trying to shift the blame for incompetence by the BIB onto the deceased or owner of the vehicle.

The mistaken identification was Actually cause by the BIB failure to carry out a very, very basic investigation.

Thank you... that was confusing.

What confuses me me is why can't BIB investigate first and then bring charges if warranted. I thought that garbage trucks all displayed a yellow flashing light - something else I might have got wrong.

A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car

That is one way of trying to shift the blame for incompetence by the BIB onto the deceased or owner of the vehicle.

The mistaken identification was Actually cause by the BIB failure to carry out a very, very basic investigation.

From a very reliable source:

The deceased gentleman ( driver ) was travelling on a Canadian passport, he is a dual nationality holder, British & Canadian.

The BIB had the right information & dealt with the correct identification process.

The blame lies on the Media who probably got the info from someone who knew the car & the owner and assumed who was driving.

At no time was the information released by the BIB.

So please stop these basically BS posts, trying to lay the blame without having the facts.

• Like 2

How come so many idiot post's on this subject. Has it been moved from another forum to the Samui forum. We don't have this many idiot's on the Samui forum.

John, I don't understand how is this any different from posts on most other topics and subjects on TV?

How come so many idiot post's on this subject. Has it been moved from another forum to the Samui forum. We don't have this many idiot's on the Samui forum.

clap2.gif My thoughts exactly .... where do some of these "experts and knit pickers" come from? coffee1.giffacepalm.gif

In reference to SamuiRes, comment thumbsup.gif .... on he having seen the accident site, that section of road near the Lomprayah ferry turning is quite (very) wide, and also on a slight curve.....section of road leading in both directions there are wide too, so it encourages people to speed...sad.png

It is hard to believe that at that time of day, there would have been much traffic to impede driving conditions, .....sad for the garbage truck guys just doing their job....

• Like 1

Thank you... that was confusing.

What confuses me me is why can't BIB investigate first and then bring charges if warranted. I thought that garbage trucks all displayed a yellow flashing light - something else I might have got wrong.

Perhaps the arrest is necessary to keep involved people from disappearing before the investigation is complete. Running away is the Thai thing to do when there is potential trouble with police. Understanding Thainess isn't easy.

The garbage truck driver charged?? I can only guess his truck is like the one that collects our rubbish during the night no warning lights, in fact no lights at all.

In America it would make no difference. In America, any driver who hits anything from behind is automatically at fault. Reckless driving, no defense.

• Like 2

That is why many Thai drivers flee the scene. They are deemed to be guilty before any investigation takes place.

Being charged does not equate to being found guilty.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Alwin, you need to re-read the article. It says that the garbage truck driver said that he was parked on the side of the road and that the car driver was operating at a high speed. So, using your noodle, you would have to conclude that, in order to hit the garbage truck and do the damage shown in the picture, one would have to be driving on the side of the road.

My guess, poor guy had a heart attack with his foot on the gas pedal and CRASH! May he RIP.

The garbage truck driver charged?? I can only guess his truck is like the one that collects our rubbish during the night no warning lights, in fact no lights at all.

I often drive at Samui at night and have never even seen a working garbage truck without warning lights and big spots at the back, so the staff can see what they are doing during their work – they normally try to sort the garbage for reusable items. They park at the side of the road, but if other vehicles are parked, then the garbage truck will stop in 2nd position.

Driving at high speed anywhere at Samui is absolutely reckless. Speed limits are around 40 km/h all over the island – varies from 30 km/h to 50 km/h; yes, sometimes bit confusing signs stating both 40, 45 and 50 within few hundred meters, even the new 30 km/h pedestrian zones are mixed with the older 40 km/h signs – so many signs, that any driver must know high speed is not safe. However, we do see reckless high-speed drivers and we do see many accidents with so smashed vehicles, which presumably have been driving (much) faster than 50 km/h.

• Like 1

Alwin, you need to re-read the article. It says that the garbage truck driver said that he was parked on the side of the road and that the car driver was operating at a high speed. So, using your noodle, you would have to conclude that, in order to hit the garbage truck and do the damage shown in the picture, one would have to be driving on the side of the road.

My guess, poor guy had a heart attack with his foot on the gas pedal and CRASH! May he RIP.

There are only one lane on Samui roads – sometimes plus a so-called “shoulder” normally used for parked motorbikes and cars, and garbage trucks if no one else park there – the only “high-speed” lane has various speed limits from 30 km/h to maximum 50 km/h.

I think you should be re-reading the opening post yourself.

Edited by Ron19

Nervous here! On my phone and don't have grammar or spell checker. Doesn't look high speed. Damage minimal having hit a heavy fairly immovable object. Surely survivable with an airbag and seat belt. Alcohol helps survive these sort of accidents as the body is relaxed! Problem is alcohol also causes this sort of accident. So I guess things even out. Anyway who said he was drunk. It would be nice to discuss some actual facts. Sad my condolences to his family and friends where ever they are.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In cases of accidents like this one,

Drafting a charge against the surviving vehicle driver is the way such accidents are handled here...

This charge will be later dropped after all facts are considered by relevant authorities....

But how in the world can anyone drive fast enough on Samui to kill himself? A death wish would give the same outcome......

Never been on a songtheaw then? Some of them are pretty speedy.