Car Air Conditioner Service - Dark Side?

NanLaew

Thanks chaps. I took up Rimmer's suggestion and the guy diagnosed a bad compressor clutch and quoted me 4000 baht including parts, gas and labour. He says it will be a 3 hour job so I told him to lash it back together and I will be in at 8 AM tomorrow. It took him almost 20 minutes to unpin the scuttle and get at the compressor which is at the bottom of the engine and totally inaccessible from top sides so I gave him a deposit as it was about 45 minutes work just to find the fault and put it back together!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thanks chaps. I took up Rimmer's suggestion and the guy diagnosed a bad compressor clutch and quoted me 4000 baht including parts, gas and labour. He says it will be a 3 hour job so I told him to lash it back together and I will be in at 8 AM tomorrow. It took him almost 20 minutes to unpin the scuttle and get at the compressor which is at the bottom of the engine and totally inaccessible from top sides so I gave him a deposit as it was about 45 minutes work just to find the fault and put it back together!

So did you let the guy fix it? As your post is confusing.. I also need someone to repair my car AC although I might just need a recharge as the air is cool but not very cold...

So did you let the guy fix it? As your post is confusing.. I also need someone to repair my car AC although I might just need a recharge as the air is cool but not very cold...

What do you think I did after paying the guy a deposit?!

I have subsequently recommended the guy to another mate who can attest to being satisfied with fault diagnosis (bad compressor) and the repair.

Since a/c systems are closed-loop, there's no such thing as 'just a recharge'. If it needs gas, it probably also needs a repair. This chap is honest enough to let you know.

Edited by NanLaew