U.S. Visa for Thai wife

Looking for personal experiences getting a U.S. Visa for a Thai wife. We have a home in Khorat and I want to take her for a 2 week visit to meet family and see some of the country. It is a common story that Thais have a hard time getting a visa but most of those stories, as I understand them, concern long-term stays or to move to the U.S. Is it as difficult just for a short visit with proof we have home, family and otherwise long-term commitments in Thailand?

My better half lives in korat.She has A business,land etc.She didn't have any trouble.We aren't married.I'm surprised with you being married there would be any problems.

In her case it was because she had sufficient ties (her business) to here to prove she would return.

If married in many cases the wife does not have a job or a business to prove they will return. That is why the husbands ties to here are so important.

• Like 2

You shouldn't have a problem if you have proof that Thailand is your home and your wife has ties to Thailand. So if she has a business and records of income, land, this will overcome any negatives if you are her sole financial supporter.

You might also check taking her in the future to obtain a social security number so you can get benefits for her whether you reside in the U.S. or not with her. This is possible if you use the right agency to get it done worth the money it is about timing?

We haven't yet applied for the visa and I really don't expect any problems because there isn't anything concerning our application request that could cause any. I am inquiring before we go into the application process so we won't be caught off-guard by some quirk and so we can have some idea how long it will take. So far, all I know is we have to fill out an application at the embassy website and make an appointment for an interview.

Will my wife need any coaching? Is the interview in Thai? Is it pretty straight-forward process, as in, show up for the interview, answer some basic questions, get visa? How long does it usually take after the interview to receive the visa?

Want to be informed by experiences of others in similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

On the application/appointment process, you will have to choose whether you want the interview in Thai or English. This interview should be as any other interview for a job, etc. Dress nicely, be ready to answer question on why she is going, who she is going with, and when she is returning. If requesting a tourist visa, she should know where she is going and what she is going to see.

Note: My wife's interview had many questions about me, my intentions to sty in Thailand, how long I've been here, how long I plan to stay.

Whole thing took about 5mins, with an immediate answer. Good Luck!

Well, I'm the fly in the ointment. My wife got refused. But at the time our house was just being built. We had been married one year and I had been here on long stays with extensions for 2 years. I still owned a business in the States. The interviewer read only one piece of info in the folder we brought and refused her in 5 minutes.. She owned land but not a car and as I said the house was not finished. She had the same job in Bangkok for 11 years but our house was being build north of Korat.

Give yourself time to get the appointment. The online system fills quickly for the month and you can't jump to far ahead. When someone cancels the opening fills fast. I found that checking early in the morning was the best. I did a trace-route to the server and it is in Denver (I believe that was where it was at, its been a few years) so I would check one hr after opening time there and one hour before closing time. Anyway good luck with that.

Well we had more difficult time than listed by others here. My wife was a gov't employee when she first applied and not married. She was turned down. Then we were married for one year and living with residence in a foreign country, UAE, and denied. A year later with residency in Saudi Arabia she applied for visa in BKK and denied again. This was the third yearly vacation to the US for me to see my elderly parents so it was hard not being able to take her on these trips which were shortened because of her not being with me. She had letters of invitation from my parents, income letters from my company, copies of resident visas, her bank accounts etc. since her house register is Chang Mai she decided to go up there to the US Consolate two weeks after being rejected in BKK and no issues with her visa acceptance. Now the more interesting part, she was awarded a ten year multiple which is standard from others I know. The length of stay is only determined by the customs agent at time of entry. Of the four times to the US the agent has requested to see me before assigning a length of stay. Several times we have seen people on arrival with visas not allowed to enter when traveling alone. My wife explains to me that Thais have a bad reputation of going to a country and not leaving. Best of luck and there is no rhyme or reason but don't give up if turned down. I have a close family member who works for the State dept who I did not ask for help but said the most important thing not to do is lie. It will be documented and it could prevent from ever getting a visa.

• Like 1

10 years ago my Girlfriend got a 10 year VISA at the Embassy, yes I did say "Girlfriend". Initially she refused her at the window at which time I said, "no problem I'll just go for the fiancé visa". The Consul (young American girl) then asked some questions, figured out from my girlfriend that I'd be living in Pattaya (building a home) and also knew that I was married before to a Thai. She then said, "I changed my mind, I'm going to give her the VISA".

I've never heard of a story like that since. I was able to take my wife to Rome, Paris, Tokyo, London and other countries without a problem.. until about 4 years ago when we were refused a VISA to Spain. This pissed me off, I did not understand how since she held a 10 Year

VISA to USA she could be refused.. but what can you do?

Long story short - girlfriend is now my wife, and in 2 years she will be a US Citizen. Her sister tried twice to get a VISA to come visit and was denied both times. We are hoping once she has citizenship her petition for a family member will be approved.

I wish the USA would be easier on VISA's for Thai residents.

My advise, after going through the whole process, is for the lady to dress conservatively and to tell the truth. Some questions are thrown to the applicant just to test their truthfulness. And as the decision to grant a visa is subjective, and up to the interviewer's judgment, then not looking like a bar girl is very important.

My better half lives in korat.She has A business,land etc.She didn't have any trouble.We aren't married.I'm surprised with you being married there would be any problems.

I obtained a visa for Thai GF 20 plus years ago. The US Embassy told me "We do not care about marrage . We do not judge your morals. We are simply here to confirm you have a long term contunius relationship and there is intention to return to Thailand. A marrage is one way to prove a relationship but other things such as traveling together where passport stamps match up, old photos, letters to each other(I said it was a long time ago), Xmas cards from family with both your names on it, etc are all useful. Land ownership, bank accounts, business dealings, etc are also taken into account" Maybe things are different now.

I obtained a visa for Thai GF 20 plus years ago. The US Embassy told me "We do not care about marrage . We do not judge your morals. We are simply here to confirm you have a long term contunius relationship and there is intention to return to Thailand. A marrage is one way to prove a relationship but other things such as traveling together where passport stamps match up, old photos, letters to each other(I said it was a long time ago), Xmas cards from family with both your names on it, etc are all useful. Land ownership, bank accounts, business dealings, etc are also taken into account" Maybe things are different now.

Most of that seems similar to what I was told recently at a US Embassy (we still haven't started the process). However, why would coming back to Thailand be a thing for a married couple? We have lived abroad before and have been married for about a decade. I would like to go to the US (my home country) and live and work for 10-20 years.

We would probably come back here after that (and, unfortunately, after my parents pass away, etc). The embassy official didn't say anything about proving we were coming back. My wife has land, a car, a motorbike, agricultural equipment, etc., here, as well as family. But we would like to live back in the US for a good while.

I feel like her "going back home" shouldn't be such a problem. Dunno, guess I will see soon enough.

Depends on what you are asking for. If asking for a tourist visa, they want proof that you are coming back. If asking for a fiance/marriage visa, they are more worried about your relationship status and financial security.

Most of that seems similar to what I was told recently at a US Embassy (we still haven't started the process). However, why would coming back to Thailand be a thing for a married couple? We have lived abroad before and have been married for about a decade. I would like to go to the US (my home country) and live and work for 10-20 years.

We would probably come back here after that (and, unfortunately, after my parents pass away, etc). The embassy official didn't say anything about proving we were coming back. My wife has land, a car, a motorbike, agricultural equipment, etc., here, as well as family. But we would like to live back in the US for a good while.

I feel like her "going back home" shouldn't be such a problem. Dunno, guess I will see soon enough.

• Like 1

So US citizens get visa on arrival in Thailand - no questions asked - but don't extend that to Thais ? And people on here bitch about Thai immigration policy <deleted>

Your restraint is noted. This is where some start quoting the 1948 UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

If married more than 2 years, you can petition to get her a visa as a family member, that way she gets a green card on arrival. You have to start this in a different building, not at the embassy. There is a thread somewhere on here about it . Maybe someone here can help get you started on that route.

Depends on what you are asking for. If asking for a tourist visa, they want proof that you are coming back. If asking for a fiance/marriage visa, they are more worried about your relationship status and financial security.

Thanks for the response....that was my impression. We are going to go for the more permanent one...10 years or whatever, can work. The guy at the embassy was pretty upbeat about it all. We have just been living in Asia for the entirety of our marriage (in different locations). She would love it there, I think, and I am pretty sure both of us would like to eventually come back here, but my career here feels like a dead end. Brings in money, but just nothing special happening. Would have more opportunity there.

thanks again

My experience of dealing with the US Embassy in BKK is of poor service. I tried for days to complete the on-line form in before it crashed. I tried for weeks to get an appointment & only managed to do so by waking very early. There are only two times for appointments; 8am & 8.30am. (This means overnighting in BKK so factor that expense into your calculations. 'Appointment' is a loose term for the three hour cattle market that my wife had to endure. The interview (an American speaking Thai) was a formality; the questions mundane. After waiting outside on the unshaded pavement/sidewalk, I'd just vowed to never visit America again, when she emerged with a ten-year visa.

Immigration at LA was another off-putting experience but that's another story.

You shouldn't have a problem if you have proof that Thailand is your home and your wife has ties to Thailand. So if she has a business and records of income, land, this will overcome any negatives if you are her sole financial supporter.

You might also check taking her in the future to obtain a social security number so you can get benefits for her whether you reside in the U.S. or not with her. This is possible if you use the right agency to get it done worth the money it is about timing?

I will be going to the US to get the SS number, etc, for my wife...but I am thinking in doing it direct with the SS. What you mean about the right agency?..In the US? I do not know any agency doing that job there. Can you give me more info? Thank you.

If married more than 2 years, you can petition to get her a visa as a family member, that way she gets a green card on arrival. You have to start this in a different building, not at the embassy. There is a thread somewhere on here about it . Maybe someone here can help get you started on that route.

You can file petition next nay of wedding and get a 2 year green card but in two years you will have to file (thru the mail) again in the US that you still together and then get a permanent green card that you will only need for a year because at the end of the 3rd year she will file and become an American citizen.

I went thru all this for the past 3.1/2 years and its all over now.

When my Thai fiance and I lived in Hong Kong, I went with her to get her first visa at the US Embassy. The American Passport gets you in the "fast" lane. The interviewer DID NOT ALLOW ME TO WALK TO THE WINDOW with her. He gave her a no so I stood up and he invited me to the window and said he had no way to determine she was my fiance. He looked at her engagement ring and then got a bit more positive, but asked if I had pictures. I said sure, ran to the office and brought back pictures of our time in Hong Kong and vacations. He then approved it.

The next visa was not approved, so we went to Thailand as he advised. I asked a connected manager in my company for help-he called an embassy friend and later said go tomorrow, no problem, and he was right as the answer was yes.

The 3rd time she went on her own when we were in Beijing, China and we were married about 9 months and I was deathly ill. We had applied for permanent resident but no interview yet. I was to be evacuated to Hong Kong and they gave her a ten year visa. The interview had to be moved to Venezuela as we eventually moved there, and it took nearly 3 years to get the green card, and by law, three more for citizenship.

In her case it was because she had sufficient ties (her business) to here to prove she would return.

If married in many cases the wife does not have a job or a business to prove they will return. That is why the husbands ties to here are so important.

HMMM - Everyone ignores the obvious question - Why is it difficult for family members to go to a spouse's home country..??

The US expects a wife to live with a husband in the US, so makes it difficult for them to be together - sounds like racism - doesn't it...

On the other hand, in the Philippines a foreign husband or wife receives a residence card within weeks of application - often on the same day.

There are a dozen countries that do the same, I have seen evidence of this in Thailand for ASEAN wives of Thai who receive a Resident ID within weeks of marriage.

Heaven forbid the Immigration Ministry kill a golden goose by allowing foreign spouses to live with their families as a resident.

There are a dozen countries that do the same,   I have seen evidence of this in Thailand for ASEAN wives of Thai who receive a Resident ID within weeks of marriage.

Heaven forbid the Immigration Ministry kill a golden goose by allowing foreign spouses to live with their families as a resident.

Wives of Thai men do not get residence that quick and there is no ID for it. They have to apply for extensions but there is no income requirement. There is a short cut for citizenship though.

It would make me happy if I could get residency or citzenship without having to work here.

HMMM - Everyone ignores the obvious question - Why is it difficult for family members to go to a spouse's home country..??

The US expects a wife to live with a husband in the US, so makes it difficult for them to be together - sounds like racism - doesn't it...

On the other hand, in the Philippines a foreign husband or wife receives a residence card within weeks of application - often on the same day.

There are a dozen countries that do the same, I have seen evidence of this in Thailand for ASEAN wives of Thai who receive a Resident ID within weeks of marriage.

There are too many instances where wives from other Asian countries are able to get visas without much problem so I wouldn't agree that it amounts to racism. More likely it is due to the perception and reputation in the minds of many Americans about Thailand and its women trying to get into the US by any means. Of course there are examples of such but when a biased perception takes hold in some people's minds it is difficult, if not impossible, to dislodge it. And there are many other examples of women from all over the world who do the very same thing. Meanwhile, those of us who have the good fortune to find a good wife over here have to deal with the obstacles that result from said perceptions. I don't jump to the conclusion that something is the result of racism just because it involves different races and cultures. I prefer to first blame ignorance and the willingness by some to paint everything with a large brush.

Well, I'm the fly in the ointment. My wife got refused. But at the time our house was just being built. We had been married one year and I had been here on long stays with extensions for 2 years. I still owned a business in the States. The interviewer read only one piece of info in the folder we brought and refused her in 5 minutes.. She owned land but not a car and as I said the house was not finished. She had the same job in Bangkok for 11 years but our house was being build north of Korat.

Give yourself time to get the appointment. The online system fills quickly for the month and you can't jump to far ahead. When someone cancels the opening fills fast. I found that checking early in the morning was the best. I did a trace-route to the server and it is in Denver (I believe that was where it was at, its been a few years) so I would check one hr after opening time there and one hour before closing time. Anyway good luck with that.

They only have a maximum of about 5 minutes to review each application and are under a lot of pressure to get through their daily quotas. Not every officer would make the same decision based on the same information, so it is not a perfect science. Certain documents are considered strong motivation to return to Thailand. A decent job in Thailand held by the applicant and particularly foreign partner is at the top of the tree. If that is lacking things like the time the partner has spent in Thailand in one year extensions and assets of both will have to carry the load. I can understand that a house and land upcountry is not considered a strong tie as it would not stop someone from wanting to work abroad. They might approve her after a couple more years extension of stay on your part. Mine got a 10 year US visa as a full time student with a modest bank balance and no title deeds. What carried most weight was that she was doing a full time degree course and that I was a permanent resident of Thailand, even though I was unemployed at the time. The rest was peripheral. I have a close relative who has done this job at in different US missions but not Thailand.

So US citizens get visa on arrival in Thailand - no questions asked - but don't extend that to Thais ? And people on here bitch about Thai immigration policy <deleted>

My Thai wife just became a US citizen with all the rights and privileges and equal protection under the law, of every other american citizen. When she goes any place she is indistinguishable from every other American , all these only after 5 years in the US

I wonder how long it would take you to be a Thai citizen indistinguishable from every other Thai citizen? Think about that on your next visa run or run with the law in Thailand or when paying Farang prices. or............

To The OP:

Sorry for the Off Topic reply

(Edit to include apology to OP)

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1