Bangkok's taxis earn ranking for value though not safety

webfact

TAXI
Bangkok's taxis earn ranking for value though not safety

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Taxi services in Bangkok, Singapore and Bogota are jointly ranked the 8th in Hotels.com's global taxi survey, with 3 per cent votes.

In the survey released on November 5, covering 30 countries, London's iconic black cabs won nearly a quarter of the vote in the survey, securing 22 per cent of the votes, followed by New York (10 per cent), Tokyo (9 per cent) and Berlin (5 per cent). Jointly ranked the 5th with 4 per cent of votes are Amsterdam, Madrid and Mexico City. Jointly ranked the 9th with 3 per cent vote are Las Vegas, Vancouver and Mumbai.

"Six years running and London cabs are still leading the pack when it comes to travel - it's great to see! Our iconic black Hackney Carriages and their well-informed cabbies can pride themselves on being globally recognised for their expert knowledge and quality of driving. Maybe next year we can top the list for all categories," said Alison Couper, senior director of communications for Hotels.com.

There are seven criteria to determine the service - safety, value, knowledge of area, availability, quality of driving, cleanliness and friendliness.

New York City and Bangkok taxis tied in terms of value for money (20 per cent) though interestingly the latter didn't quite make the overall top five this year. New York's recognisable yellow taxis grabbed the top spot when it came to availability (23 per cent), and will likely maintain this ranking in the coming years due to the introduction of thousands of new green-coloured taxis for more widespread access to New York City's boroughs.

London taxis have been voted the best taxis in the world for the sixth year in a row.

London topped the list across five of the seven categories, including cleanliness (23 per cent), knowledge of the area (27 per cent) and quality of driving (30 per cent). London cabs were also voted top for friendliness (23 per cent), but as this is a category deemed the least important to travellers, London's friendly cabbies could put off some passengers. Safety proved to be the number one priority for travellers, and London also topped the list for safest drivers with almost a quarter of the votes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-18

If they learned how to drive

Turned off the red radio

Took off their red glasses

Re-installed the seat belts

Then maybe they could climb the league tables

On don't speak things like how black your wife is and if she is beautiful or not.

Safety: Appalling. Can't afford seat belts in the back? Driver shifting around in his seat desperately trying to stay awake, or "too drunk to continue", diverting 90% of mental activity to the mobile phone or (my favourite) attempting to make the jump to light speed.

Value: No complaints.

Knowledge of area: Frequently a lot more crap than you might think, possibly because in 15 years I've never seen one that owns a map.

Availability: Great, until it rains, and does not necessarily translate into agreeing to take you anywhere.

Cleanliness: Ok, apart from the smell.

Friendliness: Variable, but frequently pretty bloody rude, actually.

• Like 2

Safety: Appalling. Can't afford seat belts in the back? Driver shifting around in his seat desperately trying to stay awake, or "too drunk to continue", diverting 90% of mental activity to the mobile phone or (my favourite) attempting to make the jump to light speed.
Value: No complaints.
Knowledge of area: Frequently a lot more crap than you might think, possibly because in 15 years I've never seen one that owns a map.
Availability: Great, until it rains, and does not necessarily translate into agreeing to take you anywhere.
Cleanliness: Ok, apart from the smell.
Friendliness: Variable, but frequently pretty bloody rude, actually.

Been in some taxis of late... And have been cringing more than if I was driving myself!

Tailgating, super-dangerous moves with bikers, unresponsible swerving and lane-switching... Speed limits blown systematically, and drivers unable to understand any concept of safety when you try to educate them (safety distance is a concept completely unknown or incomprehensible to them).

The award comes to one taxi who told me: "insurance 24 hrs available. Why afraid accident?"cheesy.gif

When I hear that, and I see the number of taxis that have some repair of some sort, I understand better the public danger these lunatics can be.

• Like 1

Well said GAZAP. I believe Hobicat is an Antipodean, nuff said. I'd also like to point out that the vast majority of Brits you'll meet in Thailand are not from London; more likely to be from the north of England. Very different place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Racist post & replies quoting it removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.