Tour Bus Crushes Teenager To Death

Rimmer

A young girl of 16, no doubt with no licence, no helmet, weaving in and out of rush hour traffic??!! What is wrong with these people??

I have personally seen young men texting while driving a bike beside me. The eyes focused on screen, one hand on keyboard while oblivious to the world around them...of course no helmet and driving not fast..wow...he would not add the speed...he smart driver!

We can only be viewing the drama on the road...mostly keeping our distance and notice and make note of bikes that are driven slower than normal as they are texting and are creating danger. Fast bikes let them go by but also when you are in the slow lane watch out for the texting bikes beside you!

Watch and make note of signs of the bikes behaviour so you know what to expect and always look for an alternative route in not being taken down by these idiots.

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in non standard fonts thank you

The report in the full story stated that the motorbike overtook and then pulled in front of the bus at the RED traffic light , which is when it was struck from behind . That would suggest that the bike was maybe going to stop for the light , but that the bus wasn't or couldn't due to it's speed ???

Vehicles in the left hand lane don't need to stop for a red light at this particular set of lights (and some others, where it is marked on the road), or at least they didn't the last time I checked. This is frequently the cause of near accidents there with pedestrians who think they are safe (safer?) to cross the road to Tesco/Lotus.

The motorbike was reportedly in the middle lane until she got to the lights, so if the bus was in the left-hand lane she may have cut in front of the bus from the middle lane as it carried on (correctly) across the red light. Its hard to tell from the photos, as it looks as if the body is in the 3rd lane (one away from the centre divide), while the bus with the bike under it is in the 1st or 2nd lane, and the body is nowhere near 200 metres past the lights. All a bit confusing ....

Thank God and Tukcom wink.png ) for Dash Cams

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought a dash-cam 2-3 months ago.

Although I'm a foreigner in Thailand, I still feel this offers some protection against these kamikazi motor-bikers.

7 years ago a motor-bike swung out of a small soi into my path on Jomtien Beach Rd. I rammed him, he went up in the air and landed head first through my windscreen, wearing no safety helmet. He suffered a broken leg.To cut a long story short, I got 6 months jail. Why? Because I'm a foreigner.

2 sets of rules.

All I can do when I over-take kamikazi riders is give them a VERY wide birth.

Beware out there fellow foreigners, the odds are against us,

Thai bus drivers are a crazy lot. This weekend in Chiang Mai a large tour bus tried to use a crossover to go from one side of the moat road to the other. The town was crowded with tourists and traffic was already heavy with the parade floats jamming the streets. The bus got stuck and couldn't make the turn so- without any warning to cars and people behind him- he backed up and smashed into another car behind the bus. I didn't stick around to see what the Traffic Police were going to do but why they allow these big tour buses into the city when traffic is already jammed for the festivals is beyond me.

If a farang was driving the car behind the bus I would bet the bus driver would claim it wasn't his fault because the farang should have known what he was going to do.

How sad, a young life gone.

Sadly, expect more, as the number of large tour coaches and mini-vans whizzing up and down Sukhumvit increases this high season.

I can find it unnerving driving a larger vehicle than a motorcycle on this road if I get in the rush to and from the attractions.

It is about time serious consideration was given to a motorway class rd heading that way..... Sukhumvit just doesn't cut it and Rt 36 is in atrocious condition.

Edited by jacko45k

So many dying and so young if this was happening to in Australia there would be an uproar and a massive clamp down on road safety, so many times here I have been first at the lights and when they turn green bikes cut in front of me from the left to turn right forcing me to brake now I wait a few seconds before starting off just in case

Just like you did with guns? I'll take the road freedom of Thailand and the Second Amendment in America over a kangaroo nanny state any day thank you.

The number of times I had people on motorbikes pull out in front of me without even looking in my direction!!!

I see this every day of the week, several times an hour while on the roads. It's like an insane death wish. Incomprehensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What exactly are you guys describing? I've driven cars here for over a decade and not experienced what you describe. I observe most moto drivers to be observent as they are quite aware who comes out on top in any contact between a CSR and bike.

This is obviously very sad.Very very sad.

But ...... this is everyday life in Thailand.

Without road-safety campaigns on TV and education at schools addressing road-safety what can be expected ?

When I see passengers on the back of motor bikes carrying their safety-helmets on their arms, this says it all.

To be honest, I think that a crash helmet wouldn't have saved the girl's life.

Thank God and Tukcom wink.png ) for Dash Cams

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought a dash-cam 2-3 months ago.

Although I'm a foreigner in Thailand, I still feel this offers some protection against these kamikazi motor-bikers.

7 years ago a motor-bike swung out of a small soi into my path on Jomtien Beach Rd. I rammed him, he went up in the air and landed head first through my windscreen, wearing no safety helmet. He suffered a broken leg.To cut a long story short, I got 6 months jail. Why? Because I'm a foreigner.

2 sets of rules.

All I can do when I over-take kamikazi riders is give them a VERY wide birth.

Beware out there fellow foreigners, the odds are against us,

Even with a dash-cam you may have been at fault 7 years ago.

As soon as you hit another vehicle, you are supposed to be at fault, no matter where this vehicle comes from. OK, fair is fair, a dash-cam may prove otherwise.

But if another vehicle from a small soi hits you between front and rear bumper you're "ok".

A 16 year old driving a motorbike...........enough said.

the legal age for small motorcycles is 14 in many countries...

but this is Thailand, HORSES FOR COURSES , ....... half the adult population have the brain of a 14 yr old. The law OBVIOUSLY needs changing AND enforcing .

the laws are fine as they are, it's the enforcing part that needs improvement.

And don't forget the knowing and obeying part. Otherwise, what is the use of enforcing chaos and expecting it to be exempt from the classification of sheer lunacy?

To other drivers under the legal age to drive and without a license (obviously):

Wait until you are of legal age to drive or stay off the roads.

Legally obtain a license to drive or stay off the roads.

Wear a helmet and keep both hands on the handle bars at all times or stay off the road,

Use your directional indicators when changing lanes and merge appropriately or stay off the road.

Do not cut in front of larger traffic and/or fail to use your directional indicators, and then apply the brakes and expect not to get hit, or you will get knocked off the road or have this happen.

And so on and so on and so on until one is beggared.

Otherwise... this is what you get.

The number of times I had people on motorbikes pull out in front of me without even looking in my direction!!!

Yes, you are correct! Unbelievable! It seems to be an everyday experience when we go out. I mainly let my wife drive and let her moan. She passed her UK driving test and as we all know there is nobody more religous than the converted. :-)

And you know that she had no licencem no helmut and was weaving in and out of traffic HOW? Rush hour is at 5:00 am now?

RIP little girl. Condolences to the family.

A young girl of 16, no doubt with no licence, no helmet, weaving in and out of rush hour traffic??!! What is wrong with these people??

And you know that she had no licencem no helmut and was weaving in and out of traffic HOW? Rush hour is at 5:00 am now?

RIP little girl. Condolences to the family.

Do you drive here ?

Again this accident happened early in the morning , before 5 am . A lot of accidents happens around this time, sometimes it involves drunk idiots , this time it was young girl on her way to school or work . Only 2 weeks ago an 18 year old girl on her bike was killed driving against the traffic.

No they will never learn , their parents teach them nothing , the school teach them nothing about safety , this is the way of life , if you die today its just bad karma. And tomorrow everything is back to normal .

Edited by balo