A nation skating on super-thin ice: Thai opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
A nation skating on super-thin ice

Tulsathit Taptim

30220054-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- If finding balance were easy, more tightrope walkers would roam the earth. This truth is so simple it's quickly forgotten. Balance is even trickier in politics, and yet more so in Thailand. Now, do you want to hear the good news? Such uneasy equilibrium might already be here.

Thaksin Shinawatra, no matter how he tries, is still being kept out of a country where his youngest sister is prime minister and his political party controls the House of Representatives. We can thank the rule of law for the first bit and democracy for the latter. That makes Thailand a special place. Name any other country where a "criminal fugitive" is a close relative of the national leader and has virtually the entire ruling party devoted to him.

The rule of law is supposed to be an inseparable element of a healthy democracy. Here, the two things have been at each other's throats and we have to make do with the knowledge that one side has not killed the other yet. It's inconvenient. It keeps political tension high all the time. It makes "peace" seem so remote. But don't you dare tilt the balance.

We Thais have been cursing our luck, but we can also try to look at the bright side. In another world, a political party that enjoyed the support of the people could have been crushed and sent into decades of wilderness, a la Myanmar's National League for Democracy. In yet another world, a corrupt democracy may be wreaking havoc, with those who control the parliamentary majority making rules and laws as they see fit.

To be precise, though, the rule of law did not stop the Pheu Thai Party's controversial amnesty bill. That was done by a national outrage triggered by signs that the rule of law was being ignored. "Democracy" overstepped its bounds, thus threatening the sensitive balance. The rule of law called for help and, within days, the awkward but crucial state of affairs was restored.

We know that "absolute power corrupts absolutely", but we have never been taught how many ways absolute power can come about. Moreover, issuing a blanket amnesty law, based on an election promise to "bring peace and justice", sounds like the right thing to do. It doesn't seem like democracy was abusing its absolute power. But when tens of thousands of people took to streets, with perhaps millions sharing their anger at home, what was proclaimed as "right" was unlikely to be so.

You can believe the government's claims that it's an attempt to destroy democracy, or you might consider the possibility that our unhealthy democracy could unknowingly be putting itself in danger yet again. You can assume that "absolute power corrupts absolutely" is something coined to promote democracy, or you might suspect that it's not only dictatorships that wield absolute power.

Now that the rule of law has been yanked from the jaws of peril, what about democracy? What about a government elected by the people which is being besieged by all kinds of trouble, some of which is "undemocratic"? If tens of thousands converging on Bangkok's main streets symbolise the "right" conscience, what about the millions that voted the sponsors of the amnesty bill in to power?

Tricky, isn't it? But it can be very simple, too. Democracy is not just a show of majority force. And as with other powers, democratic power comes with great responsibility. The ballot box is only one part of a system that is supposed to be open, fair and respectful to minority opinions. If an elected government is democracy's baby, it's supposed to be brought up to be a good person.

The inconvenient balance can tolerate a wayward government. Such an administration may be ridiculed or protested vehemently against, but it will be allowed to live and die through democratic means. The Pheu Thai government's best hope is to be deemed a wayward, not malicious, product of democracy, and given a chance to rise or fall on to its own democratic merits. Just as the demise of the rule of law would be bad for the whole Thailand, Pheu Thai's brutal death would also tip the delicate balance.

Do you see how we are becoming a nation of great political jugglers, sending democracy up with the right hand and catching the rule of law with the left? It's not always entertaining, though. The fun will only continue if nothing falls and breaks. Of course, it's not convenient, but keeping them all in the air is probably the best we can do at the moment.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-20

• Like 2

This guy is such an idiot. Disgusting.

Needless to say it's his opinion (fair enough) but really not 'Thai opinion'.

Agreed. This kind of crap sums The Nation up.

The poor, poor, poor mans Daily Mail.

And yet, it is supposedly read by the "amart". I have to wonder which publication you would find comparable to the 'red rags' such as 'Voice of Thaksin'? I hesitate to suggest Pravda, with the number of Russians in the country who might be justifiably outraged.

I think it is quite a fair representation of Thai opinion.

However, no Thai will understand the phase "super-thin ice" as there aren't any in Thailand.

• Like 1

Is The Nation published in Thai?

The same newspaper carries a story where Thailand ranks #55 out of 60 in english proficiency.

One would hardly expect such a publication to reflect 'Thai Opinion'.

For my part, I found it an interesting analysis of the situation, especially given the audience.

• Like 1

We Thais have been cursing our luck, but we can also try to look at the bright side. In another world, a political party that enjoyed the support of the people could have been crushed and sent into decades of wilderness, a la Myanmar's National League for Democracy. In yet another world, a corrupt democracy may be wreaking havoc, with those who control the parliamentary majority making rules and laws as they see fit.

Yep.

That is Thailand.

• Like 2

STOPPAGE TIME

A nation skating on super-thin ice

Tulsathit Taptim

30220054-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- If finding balance were easy, more tightrope walkers would roam the earth. This truth is so simple it's quickly forgotten. Balance is even trickier in politics, and yet more so in Thailand. Now, do you want to hear the good news? Such uneasy equilibrium might already be here.

Thaksin Shinawatra, no matter how he tries, is still being kept out of a country where his youngest sister is prime minister and his political party controls the House of Representatives. We can thank the rule of law for the first bit and democracy for the latter. That makes Thailand a special place. Name any other country where a "criminal fugitive" is a close relative of the national leader and has virtually the entire ruling party devoted to him.

The rule of law is supposed to be an inseparable element of a healthy democracy. Here, the two things have been at each other's throats and we have to make do with the knowledge that one side has not killed the other yet. It's inconvenient. It keeps political tension high all the time. It makes "peace" seem so remote. But don't you dare tilt the balance.

To be precise, though, the rule of law did not stop the Pheu Thai Party's controversial amnesty bill. That was done by a national outrage triggered by signs that the rule of law was being ignored. "Democracy" overstepped its bounds, thus threatening the sensitive balance. The rule of law called for help and, within days, the awkward but crucial state of affairs was restored.

We know that "absolute power corrupts absolutely", but we have never been taught how many ways absolute power can come about. Moreover, issuing a blanket amnesty law, based on an election promise to "bring peace and justice", sounds like the right thing to do. It doesn't seem like democracy was abusing its absolute power. But when tens of thousands of people took to streets, with perhaps millions sharing their anger at home, what was proclaimed as "right" was unlikely to be so.

You can believe the government's claims that it's an attempt to destroy democracy, or you might consider the possibility that our unhealthy democracy could unknowingly be putting itself in danger yet again. You can assume that "absolute power corrupts absolutely" is something coined to promote democracy, or you might suspect that it's not only dictatorships that wield absolute power.

Now that the rule of law has been yanked from the jaws of peril, what about democracy? What about a government elected by the people which is being besieged by all kinds of trouble, some of which is "undemocratic"? If tens of thousands converging on Bangkok's main streets symbolise the "right" conscience, what about the millions that voted the sponsors of the amnesty bill in to power?

Tricky, isn't it? But it can be very simple, too. Democracy is not just a show of majority force. And as with other powers, democratic power comes with great responsibility. The ballot box is only one part of a system that is supposed to be open, fair and respectful to minority opinions. If an elected government is democracy's baby, it's supposed to be brought up to be a good person.

The inconvenient balance can tolerate a wayward government. Such an administration may be ridiculed or protested vehemently against, but it will be allowed to live and die through democratic means. The Pheu Thai government's best hope is to be deemed a wayward, not malicious, product of democracy, and given a chance to rise or fall on to its own democratic merits. Just as the demise of the rule of law would be bad for the whole Thailand, Pheu Thai's brutal death would also tip the delicate balance.

Do you see how we are becoming a nation of great political jugglers, sending democracy up with the right hand and catching the rule of law with the left? It's not always entertaining, though. The fun will only continue if nothing falls and breaks. Of course, it's not convenient, but keeping them all in the air is probably the best we can do at the moment.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-20

Big-time-exaggeration!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/682453-Big-time-exaggeration!

This one is the most exaggerated I have read!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by smartconsulting

I wonder if mr Taptim whom wrote this article is a little "krob" in the brain. I feel he is trying too however so eloquently legitimize the pua thai government overstepping its boundaries when ignoring the rule of law and promoting the blanket bill which would give amnesty to all corrupted politicians and civil servant can only mean his bank account in some way or form should have a logo saying sponsored by shincorp. Anyway thats just my opinion...

I missed your explanation after reading the name calling. If he is indeed an idiot and disgusting, please share why you feel so. What is or isn't "Thai opinion"? I'm not sure what you mean since your post is very spartan.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I think the article is a fair observation of current affairs written by an intellectual that we can respect with confidence.

• Like 2

I have a problem only with the headlines. They always make things out as much worse than they really are!

Why. I thought it very fitting. I also thought the article generally was good.

Unlike yours smartconsulting that you link to in your own post..strange!

I have a problem only with the headlines. They always make things out as much worse than they really are!

Headlines are like signs that declare "On Sale - One day only,". They are attention grabbers in a sea of information. I read on.

I don't know about political jugglers but there's certainly no shortage of political clowns.

Jugglers and clowns have more than likely been around for thousands of years. They entertain, cajole, baffle and mesmerize the masses with their antics, much like we pundits.

"Don't take me seriously...or else!".

Edited by Benmart

Is The Nation published in Thai?

The same newspaper carries a story where Thailand ranks #55 out of 60 in english proficiency.

One would hardly expect such a publication to reflect 'Thai Opinion'.

For my part, I found it an interesting analysis of the situation, especially given the audience.

"One would hardly expect such a publication to reflect 'Thai Opinion'."

I don't think Fox Noise expresses anything remotely like the "fair and balanced" view of American opinion they claim, but obviously (unfortunately?) they do express a legitimate "American Opinion" for that part of the population that keeps them (and Rupert Murdoch) alive and financially healthy.

Democracy does imply the sometimes inconvenient reality of many legitimate and contrary opinions.

"Thailand ranks #55 out of 60 in english [sic] proficiency."

Proficiency in English is neither a marker for intelligence (at least not for people for whom it is a 2nd or 3rd language) nor a requisite for having a legitimate opinion as many German, Japanese, Chinese, French ... people can attest. Actually amongst the native English speaking membership of Thai Visa, if a demonstrable proficiency in the language were required before permitting the expression of opinions, the forum would probably have folded long ago.

@Suradit69 - Brilliantly worded ! ! Totally agreed !

You may want to consider a career in writing; you do it very well and you make a lot of sense too !)

Cheers,

clap2.gifwai.gifclap2.gif

Perhaps those who are condemning what I thought was a reasonable and balanced piece of writing can explain why? I don't get what's disgusting or idiotic about it.

Maybe it was 'rule of law' bit, in a country where everyone is either corrupt, or waiting for the opportunity to be corrupt.