British woman, 21, whose ‘drinks were spiked in Thailand’ survives 30ft fall from hotel balcony

Lite Beer

British woman, 21, whose ‘drinks were spiked in Thailand’ survives 30ft fall from hotel balcony

A female British holidaymaker has cheated death after falling 30ft from a hotel balcony in Thailand.

Friends claim pretty Romany Mitchell had her drinks spiked in a local bar before the accident on the island of Phuket.

Romany, 21, had returned to her five-star hotel alone, disorientated and crying and fell from the third storey at 3am.

She escaped with a badly injured ankle and is now undergoing physiotherapy in a local hospital.

A member of staff at the hotel said: “It was her first night at the hotel and she had been out with friends but she came back in a taxi alone. She was upset and crying.

“She was helped her to her room and about 30 or 40 minutes later there was a lot of noise outside, with lots of people gathered round her.

“It looks like she had fallen from the balcony. Many people were trying to help her.

“Her foot was injured and she had other injuries but she was very lucky, it could have been very much worse.”

The accident last Tuesday came as Romany took a gap year after graduating from Edinburgh Napier University.

She was rushed to a local hospital in Patong but later transferred to the larger Bangkok Phuket Hospital in Phuket.

Doctors there reportedly hailed her as “the miracle” for surviving the plunge from her second-floor room.

A female travel companion was with her and it is understood she will be flown home later this week and transferred to hospital there.

Foreign Office officials yesterday renewed warnings to Brits travelling to Thailand after this latest in a series of balcony falls.

In January, Lee Charie, 32, flew back to Britain with a section of his skull in his hand luggage after surviving a 22-foot fall on his head.

He smashed the left side of his skull when he fell from the balcony on the island of Koh Tao in December last year.

The extra from The Only Way is Essex spent weeks in hospital before flying back to the UK for reconstructive surgery.

It is still unknown whether he slipped off the hotel balcony or was pushed.

There are now calls for warnings to be put up at the airport for tourists arriving to be made aware of the high incidence of balcony falls.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “Our message to everyone is to behave responsibly when they are staying somewhere that has a balcony.

“Most incidents involve young people between the ages of 18 and 35 and whilst not always the case, alcohol often plays a part.”

Source: http://swns.com/news/british-woman-21-drinks-spiked-thailand-survives-30ft-fall-hotel-balcony-40332/

--SWNS.com 2013-11-20

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road was wet, it was dark, brake failure.. it was not me! .. uh, sorry, this was another topic.

The drinks were spiked, room was dark, the balcony railing was too low!

Foreign Office officials yesterday renewed warnings to Brits travelling to Thailand after this latest in a series of balcony falls.

Nicely combined the unrelated travel advice to 'series of balcony falls' https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Is the SWNS competitor for Daily Mail and Fox News?

I suggest that drunk Brits only book rooms without windows and balconies, and preferably padded. How I've managed to live in Thailand for 3 years without falling off a balcony is a complete mystery to me. Maybe I need to drink more.

3 years later at job interview...

Interviewer: I see that you took a gap year. What did you do?

Interviewee: I got drunk and fell off a balcony.

Interviewer: That's great. You're just the sort of person we're looking for. You're hired.

LOL.

Thanks! You made me feel bad because I laughed!

I suggest that drunk Brits only book rooms without windows and balconies, and preferably padded. How I've managed to live in Thailand for 3 years without falling off a balcony is a complete mystery to me. Maybe I need to drink more.

Interviewer: That's great. You're just the sort of person we're looking for. You're hired.

LOL.

That's not so far from the truth.

When we were in the latter stages of 6th form and waiting to go to BA flight school my classmate had a nasty on his motorbike.

BA told him that was good experience as it would make him more aware of danger and sure enough when he was recovered he joined flight school a year late (and never crashed an aircraft in a long career).

Meanwhile, the young lady was extremely lucky.

Edited by Bpuumike

What a lucky young woman.

A little saddened that her friend wasn't a good enough friend to return to the hotel with her.

(Although I wasn't there, and that comment may be speculative).

Whether her drink was spiked or not I am also unsure, 21 year old British kids are quite accustomed to drinking themselves into a stupor without any spiking.

Count yourself luck young woman, 30 ft is quite a fall which could have left you dead or paralysed!

...I don't know anyone who would willingly drink something spiked with pesticide...as apparently is common here in Thailand...

...2 Canadian sisters died less than a year ago....

...any low-life scum balls that do that can only have sinister intentions.....

...and the clincher is they want to blame the victims......

LOL.

They wouldn't say "You're hired" in the UK. That's an Americanism.

Edited by Card

I don't understand why all these foreigners after coming to Thailand are jumping off balconies?

Pattaya, Phuket, bangkok, Koh samui, chaing Mai , chasing rai..these fine tourists are jumping off?!!!

They flew such a great distance to a fireign land to jump off balconies ? Wow...amazing Thailand.

5 star hotel, drunk and jump.

She is full idiot and I can't feel with her.

My best friend girl just started chemotherapy yesterday, and almost same age.

I guess she received a huge problem, for example:

- her facebook friends didn't like her last picture which she made about herself in mirror,

- her pet at home got a runs,

- her father bought her the new Mini but not in the agreed color,

- or in her Uni she has to change her seat with other mate in next semester.

So I can understand her well, she was very very desperate (AND FULL DRUNK)

Edited by Loles
  • Like 1

I don't understand why all these foreigners after coming to Thailand are jumping off balconies?

Pattaya, Phuket, bangkok, Koh samui, chaing Mai , chasing rai..these fine tourists are jumping off?!!!

They flew such a great distance to a fireign land to jump off balconies ? Wow...amazing Thailand.

DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK

Perhaps it's about time to rename "Roofies" into "Balcies" or something...

Always easy for the tourists to blame someone else for getting completely $#itfaced while partying with things getting our of hand eventually. Sounds to me like that woman was emotionally unstable, had a few drinks and/or roofies, or whatever she voluntarily took, too many - got depressed because the surfer boy of her dreams went home with a Russian or Thai hottie instead of her, so she went home crying and took a dive. And again it's a Thai bartender's fault? Come on, give me a break!!!

Bottom line for (British) party goers: Go hard or go home!

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

The road was wet, it was dark, brake failure.. it was not me! .. uh, sorry, this was another topic.

Nicely combined the unrelated travel advice to 'series of balcony falls' https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Compassion is not a virtue for those without a heart.

Compassion is not a virtue for those without a heart.

Compassion is reserved for those who have pure heart, carry their own responsibilities and do not blame others for their own mistakes.

Not another "I made a fool of myself on holiday because my drinks where spiked" story bah.gif !! Just as believeable as the "I wasn`t aware that those drugs where in my suitcase,honest"-stories.

Drink spiking is endemic in Thailand.

They spike the drink, then follow you when you wander off, on your own, for either rape or robbery.

In my case in CM, after my one and only trip to Spicey, robbery of my wallet.

It's also happened to a couple of my pals.

Not another "I made a fool of myself on holiday because my drinks where spiked" story bah.gif !! Just as believeable as the "I wasn`t aware that those drugs where in my suitcase,honest"-stories.

Drink spiking is endemic in Thailand.

They spike the drink, then follow you when you wander off, on your own, for either rape or robbery.

In my case in CM, after my one and only trip to Spicey, robbery of my wallet.

It's also happened to a couple of my pals.

But according to some 'experts' earlier posts, it never happens here.

• Like 2