Singaporean tourist missing after fall from iconic Phuket cape

webfact

Singaporean tourist missing after fall from iconic Phuket cape
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013112021423923_JWxUHDMAdcYK
Friends console Singaporean tourist Liu Shu Jian, who managed to stop himself from plunging into the waves. Photo: Rawai Municipality Rescue

PHUKET: -- A search-and-rescue operation was launched late this afternoon after a Singaporean tourist slipped from the rocks at Phuket’s iconic Promthep Cape and plunged into the waves below.

Officers at the Phuket Tourist Rescue Center were notified of the incident at 5:40pm.

“Two Singaporean men slipped on the wet rocks and fell from the famous cape in Rawai this afternoon,” one rescue officer told the Phuket Gazette.

“One managed to grab onto rocks and stop himself from falling into the sea. However, the other one ended up in the water and is still missing,” he said.

Friends of the two tourists told officers that the pair had climbed out onto the rocks in order to have their photos taken, as many tourists do at the scenic cape.

“Liu Shu Jian, 21, clutched onto a rock and his friends and people nearby managed to pull him back up,” Rawai Mayor Arun Soros told the Gazette.

“But Gao Yang, 20, disappeared into the sea. He is still missing,” he said.

Mayor Arun confirmed that Mr Liu was taken to the Provincial Hospital in Phuket Town for treatment of scratches and bruises sustained in the fall.

“A team of rescue officers was assembled and started to search for him. Unfortunately, the area is too shallow for Navy boats to get near,” he explained.

The rescue team were forced to abandon the search at 8pm due to darkness and strong waves.

“They will resume at first light tomorrow,” Mayor Arun assured.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Singaporean-tourist-missing-after-fall-from-iconic-Phuket-cape-22835.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-21

We know that "stupid" knows no nationality.

I visited the Grand Canyon in winter. Groups of people were standing (in snow) outside the barrier, very near the edge. I could not watch.

We currently are experiencing "schoolies" here on the Gold Coast. It is the annual end of high school celebration. Balcony-hoppimg is a favourite passtime.

Occasionally someone actually falls.

If Singaporean can follow rule and signs in their "fine" city, why can't they do the same outside Singapore?

I don't think they are Singaporeans, but Chinese living in Singapore.

I'm afraid a RIP is appropriate here.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

If Singaporean can follow rule and signs in their "fine" city, why can't they do the same outside Singapore?

I don't think they are Singaporeans, but Chinese living in Singapore.

I'm afraid a RIP is appropriate here.

74% of Singaporeans are Chinese??

• Like 1

Oh will you all stop bitching about this guy. I've been out on the promontory in the evening with friends, just stick to the well warn pathway.

This constant knee jerk poking at tourists-doing-dumb-stuff on holiday's getting tedious/depressing. Dear God ...

I don't remember seeing any warning signs. And there are no barriers. When I read this story I was quite astonished that anyone would venture anywhere near the slope, more like a cliff.

I expect it will be a body recover. The other man is very lucky to be alive.

Weather dampens spirits, search for missing Singaporean tourist continues
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: The search resumed today for missing tourist Gao Yang, who slipped from the rocks at Phuket’s Promthep Cape late yesterday afternoon.

“We resumed our search this morning,” said Phuket Marine Police Inspector Chatchai Sakdee.

“Rawai Municipality officers have joined the mission. They provided one speedboat and one small boat to help conduct the search,” he added.

“We have divided into teams to search on sea and along the coast,” Lt Col Sakchai told the Phuket Gazette.

Meanwhile, rescue officers are growing despondent over the current foul weather hampering their search effort.

“I received a report from our search teams that the waves are getting bigger. However, we will continue our search for as long as we can,” Col Sakchai said.

Mr Gao and his friend Liu Shu Jian arrived in Phuket holiday as part of a group of four friends, all Chinese nationals who are studying in Singapore.

The two men were posing for a photo at Phuket’s iconic Promthep Cape when they slipped from the rocks.

Mr Liu managed to recover and to be pulled to safety by friends and other people standing nearby. Mr Gao, however, disappeared into the sea (story here).

Staff at Phuket’s Provincial Hospital confirmed this morning that Mr Liu has been discharged from the hospital’s care.

“Mr Liu was discharged yesterday after receiving treatment for physical trauma,” a hospital staffer told the Gazette.

The staffer made no comment on the condition of Mr Liu’s mental well-being after surviving such a traumatic experience.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Weather-dampens-spirits-search-for-missing-Singaporean-tourist-continues-22841.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-21

Should be a sign posted giving the running total of tourists that fall into the water there and are

either rescued or die. Posted in 5 languages. Seems to me this happens 3-4 times a year here.

Maybe the tourists will learn from others past mistakes. I know none of these tourists that witnessed

the accident will go out on the rocks to have their photos taken.

Body found off Phuket believed to be missing Singaporean student
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A Phuket speedboat returning from dropping tourists off at Koh Hei today reported the grisly discovery of a body floating about seven kilometers south of Phuket.

Police suspect that the body found is that of missing Chinese national and Singaporean student Gao Yang, who slipped from the rocks at Phuket’s Promthep Cape late Wednesday afternoon (story here).

Officers from the Phuket Tourist Rescue Center at Chalong were dispatched to recover the body.

“We will have the body identified as soon as possible,” Lt Col Panya Chaichana of the Phuket Marine Police told the Phuket Gazette.

“What we have confirmed so far is that the body found is wearing a blue shirt that matches the one worn by Mr Gao when he slipped from the rocks,” Col Panya said.

Officers from the Marine Police and local rescue teams launched a search for Mr Gao after receiving reports that he slipped into the sea on Wednesday (story here).

Since then, however, the current foul weather has hampered efforts.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Body-found-off-Phuket-believed-to-be-missing-Singaporean-student-22853.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-22