Do Russians mix with westerners?

scubascuba3

There are a lot of Russians in Pattaya and why not, there's enough of lots of other countries. They appear to just keep to themselves, which could be mainly a language thing although when I was in Russia (Moscow/St Petersburg) they seemed friendlier particularly the women..thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand a lot of the Russians who come to Thailand come from the Siberia region which is a long way from Moscow.

There is diversity in who comes here but yes lots from Siberia and a good many Asian Russians as well. it's a BIG country. I would agree probably mostly not from the most sophisticated cities.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

The Russians I know refuse to be around fellow Russians. They love to practice their English with the rest of "us".

Some of the ones I know are highly educated, super rich and not drunks. Not saying that is the norm, but I do believe it is an exception rather than the rule. 8-)

And yes, the ones I know all come from Southern Siberia.

• Like 1

Russians are Westerners by their culture.

By region they are everything from Westerners to far east.

I think your description is way too simplistic.

The question whether Russia is part of the Western world has plagued
Russian intellectuals and Western observers alike for the past two centuries.

http://www.risingpowersinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/gvosdev2.pdf

Also recently in embracing the strong man leader Putin Russia has endorsed cultural separation from the west especially in modern issues such as advancing gay civil rights. If you read up on this issue, there is lots of rhetoric saying we are NOT the west and we don't accept the values of the west.

Edited by Jingthing

I have two Nephew's that married Russian women back in the states, They have integrated well in to life in the US, but also keep their Russian language, culture and food. Much socialization with many other Russian women that live in the same cities also married to U.S. men.

Young, great looking women that seem to welcome and enjoy the US way of life.

I never have interacted with Russian's in Thailand!

Cheers:.

Edited by kikoman

I have two Nephew's that married Russian women back in the states, They have integrated well in to life in the US, but also keep their Russian language, culture and food. Much socialization with many other Russian women that live in the same cities also married to U.S. men.

Young, great looking women that seem to welcome and enjoy the US way of life.

I never have interacted with Russian's in Thailand!

Cheers:.

Friend of mine, Russia-German (a German who grew up in Russia) and his wife (also Russia German) living in Australia, know many Russian women who married Australians and they have no good word for them. Some were even in bride catalogs, similar to Thailand.

Russians are Westerners by their culture.

By region they are everything from Westerners to far east.

This wasn't meant to be a debate on what westerner means

So please name it: Do Westerners mix with Westerners....

Oh please. It is quite undisputed that Russian culture is very distinctive and that it is indeed a thing apart from Western European culture. Speaking as someone with many living Russia born relatives and Russian speaking grandparents from a Russian-ruled land.

The question:

is quite clear and on point I think to MOST of us.

I have found that in Pattaya many of the younger ones do tend to speak some English and are potentially open to mixing but in general the older ones would present a linguistic barrier for most of us ... English speaking westerners.

Edited by Jingthing

It seems most Russian here in Pattaya don't speak english as they rattle off on russian to the thais who are starting to pick up some basic russian phrases and mostly the usual tourist hand language is used.This is a generalisation as some must speak some english and even thai.

Anyway ... back to the actual question in the OP ...

it is hard to generalize. Tourists in general are doing their own thing with their own crowd. The singletons are often seeking new Thai friends, not new western friends. I'm not sure it's fair to say the Russians are any more or less open to mixing than other nationalities, but there is the linguistic barrier.

• Like 1

Oh please. It is quite undisputed that Russian culture is very distinctive and that it is indeed a thing apart from Western European culture. Speaking as someone with many living Russia born relatives and Russian speaking grandparents from a Russian-ruled land.

The question:

I have found that in Pattaya many of the younger ones do tend to speak some English and are potentially open to mixing but in general the older ones would present a linguistic barrier for most of us ... English speaking westerners.

The question:

Russian culture is not more or less distinctive than German culture, French culture, Spanish culture, Hungarian culture.

Russian are not better or worse than any others. There are Russian University Professors who speak several languages and there are low class drug abuser.

Russians are different, like in every country.

Following the logic we can say the same for chinese, japanese, nigerian could we?

There is a problem with russian in that the majority of russian ppl look like ppl from europe but russia itself isn't grouped into europe so it's like they need to figure out a way to include russians as european caucasians.

Most of the Russian women I've seen in Pattaya are super hot smile.png

But as far as the Russians interacting with others, they appear aloof and uninterested in conversing with anyone outside their immediate group.

I have found groups of Russians tend to be VERY open to interact with OTHER Russian speakers. This supports my feeling that a large part of the perception of coldness is linguistic in origin.

• Like 1

I do not doubt your experiences or opinions. I wasn't there so I accept your view that Russians are very open. However, you were not present when I attempted (unsuccessfully) to interact with Russians, so perhaps you will be open minded enough to accept another point of view smile.png

My personal experience is that Russians in Pattaya are unfriendly and do not socialize well.

Point well taken. These kinds of things are going to be subjective as I doubt anyone is going to do a controlled scientific study on this question.

It's a rather strange question here. Why is the OP so concerned if russians mix with westerners? Honestly what does it matter?

Is he concerned if say chinese ppl mix with westerners. No of course not.

Is he creating some type of alliance/network thing with the caucasian looking ppl in a foreign asian country? Sounds stupid and rather racist if you ask me. Just go back to europe or the US.

• Like 1

I think it's a fair and not racist question in Pattaya considering the fact that Russians account for over 50 percent of tourists in Pattaya during high season. As they do DOMINATE here, their social behavior in public does have an impact on the experiences people have going around town.

It's not a question people would ask about Chinese tourists YET as the vast majority of Chinese tourists here are being herded around in big BUS tours and there is no question about whether those groups mix ... OBVIOUSLY they don't just based on the nature of their being on those kinds of tours.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a rather strange question here. Why is the OP so concerned if russians mix with westerners? Honestly what does it matter?

Is he concerned if say chinese ppl mix with westerners. No of course not.

Is he creating some type of alliance/network thing with the caucasian looking ppl in a foreign asian country? Sounds stupid and rather racist if you ask me. Just go back to europe or the US.

Tit