getting married

brasso

hi, just trying to find out if once at the british embassy to get and sigh affamation can this be done same day,or if i have to go back the next day planning to arrive embassy early morning when opening,is it possible to get affamation then translation then to ministry pay express service and all same day,many thanks for help

Hi Brasso, I got married a few weeks ago so I can pretty much give you a good idea. We arrived at the Embassy at 830am which is when it opens I think. There was a small queue outside, maybe 7 or 8 people waiting. Once inside, the whole process took less than 1 hour in total as it wasn't very busy. They were very efficient and it was very straightforward. As long as you have all the required documents with you, there shouldn't be a problem. I do recommend getting there early like we did as I'm sure it will get much busier later. After the Embassy we got the Affirmation translated in a translation agency nearby, which cost about 350baht. This was all done by 11am so if we'd wanted to, we could have gone to the Thai MFA after that, however we opted to go there the following day as we were getting married the following week so had time. The Thai MFA was a very nice building and it was super efficient. There is a queuing system, however if you pay for the Express service which I think from memory was about 500 baht just, you will be taken into the Supervisor's office and your paperwork processed much faster. I paid for this and we were only in the building about 1 hour in total. So yes it is possible to do it all in one day if you get to the UK Embassy at 830am, but I think it could be tight because of the BK traffic and because you need to get to the Thai MFA early to use the same day Express service

Not sure if you know this, but the Thai MFA is at Lak Si , quite a distance from the UK Embassy and the traffic to get there can be horrendous. It's approximately 15 miles away and in Bangkok as you may know, 15 miles in traffic can take a VERY LONG time. I think it took us about 1.5 hours to get there, so if you are going to try and do it all in 1 day you would have to get to the UK Embassy at opening time. Also I think the Express service is only guaranteed at the Thai MFA if you arrive before mid-day, so if you're a bit late you would have to go back for the paperwork the following day. Unless you're in a huge rush, I would really recommend doing it the way we did.........UK.Embassy and translation the first day then to the Thai MFA early the next day to use the Express service. Much less stressful I would say and you should get everything you need to do done without too much trouble.

If there's anything else I can help with in relation to the above or the marriage process etc just give me a shout.

Edited by Rob180

The express service at MFA closes by about 12. (I forget the exact time. Might be 11, might be 1). So getting the affirmation signed, then translation, then getting out to MFA you would struggle to get there by the time the express service closes.

A way to speed things up is to take a copy the affirmation to a translator prior to going to the embassy. This way they could have it done and only need to add the consular officers name to it. Have you downloaded the sample affirmation yet from embassy webpage? Link for download: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/affirmation-of-freedom-to-marry-in-thaliand

A way to speed things up is to take a copy the affirmation to a translator prior to going to the embassy. This way they could have it done and only need to add the consular officers name to it. Have you downloaded the sample affirmation yet from embassy webpage? Link for download: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/affirmation-of-freedom-to-marry-in-thaliand

I don't think this will work because the translator also "translates" the signature. Although the signature isn't directly translated, there is an indication on the translation that the signature is there.

Moved to marriage forum.

You can submit the document sat the MFA yourself and if you are not using the express service can have them send too your address by EMS for 65 baht (including enveloppe and stamps). Saves you the waiting and cuts the price for the legalisation in half, as express service is 800 baht and regular 400 baht.

Takes about 5 days to receive at your home.

I don't think this will work because the translator also "translates" the signature.  Although the signature isn't directly translated, there is an indication on the translation that the signature is there.

Did I not say they would only need to translate the name of the consular officer when he goes back to the translator.

I don't think this will work because the translator also "translates" the signature. Although the signature isn't directly translated, there is an indication on the translation that the signature is there.

Did I not say they would only need to translate the name of the consular officer when he goes back to the translator.

Sorry ... missed that.

I personally see no reason to do the MFA step yourself. The cost of the translation service doing it can be less than the cost of making 2 trips to the MFA plus the time spent doing it. I have had several documents handled this way.

When I got married we just walked into the translators office handed over the affirmation paid the fees and 3 days later the affirmation was delivered to our house by EMS.

• Like 2

Many thanks for all the good replys and some very good advice,many thanks rob, i will maybe try going to mfa myself see what time i get there as to wait or just ems to girlfriend as will get married in udon thani the next week, is the ems a safe way to get the documents,any thoughts on best way to mfa, go by taxi, skytrain and taxi just to get there quickly, what is the nearest skytrain stop please, many thanks for all info.

Many thanks for all the good replys and some very good advice,many thanks rob, i will maybe try going to mfa myself see what time i get there as to wait or just ems to girlfriend as will get married in udon thani the next week, is the ems a safe way to get the documents,any thoughts on best way to mfa, go by taxi, skytrain and taxi just to get there quickly, what is the nearest skytrain stop please, many thanks for all info.

Hi Brasso, I know EMS seems to be good according to what others say, but personally with something so important we preferred to do it all in person as once it's done you have all the documentation you need in your hand. We actually enjoyed the whole experience. Even took some photos outside the Thai MFA!

Our hotel was quite close to the Embassy so we just took a short taxi ride to get there. The following day we went to the Thai MFA and it took about 1.5 hours because of the traffic, but if you're not in a hurry it's no big deal. The taxi fare from near the Embassy to the Thai MFA was about 300 baht, £6 for a 1.5 hour journey is hardly something to worry about. There may be a Skytrain station near Lak Si, I'm not sure, but it really was very easy and cheap going by taxi ,as long as you're not in a hurry. As always with BK, make sure the taxi agrees to put the meter on, if he won't just get one who will !biggrin.png

Edited by Rob180

thanks to all of you for the sound advice, little bit concerned about the ems so will wait and try for same day service even if it means hanging around, it seems the quickest way maybe is to catch a skytrain to chatachak then a taxito mfa just for speed and not stuck in traffic, translate at mfa or close to embassy please advise many thanks rob for help

thanks to all of you for the sound advice, little bit concerned about the ems so will wait and try for same day service even if it means hanging around, it seems the quickest way maybe is to catch a skytrain to chatachak then a taxito mfa just for speed and not stuck in traffic, translate at mfa or close to embassy please advise many thanks rob for help

Hi Brasso. We got the Affirmation translated about 5-10 minutes walk from the Embassy. I believe you can also get it done at the Thai MFA if you prefer. I'm not sure how near the Skytrain station is to the MFA, but if you're not getting married until the following week, I would definitely suggest you just do what we did......deal with the UK Embassy and translation the first day then go to the MFA the next day. Although it may be possible to do it all in one day, why stress yourselves if you don't have to? Doing it over the 2 days meant we could just relax without worrying about traffic, time deadlines, closing times etc etc.

Are you familiar Brasso with exactly what documentation you need for the Embassy and the Thai MFA and for the Amphur marriage? I assume you are marrying at your fiancee's Amphur in Udon? You may already know this, but if you are, she can change her name on her ID Card and Tabien Baan at the Amphur after you have the marriage certificate. If Udon isn't her Amphur, those documents can't be changed on the day, they would have to be sent to her own Amphur office which could take a week or 2 I think.

Brasso, I've copied this information below from a poster in another forum as I found it absolutely brilliant as many people have I think. I took a copy of it with me to Thailand! Also many thanks to 7by7 and many other forumites in here for their help and advice earlier this year with this whole process.

Getting Married in Thailand:

The legal Amphur marriage is very similar to a registry office marriage in the UK and is required in order to count as the “legal ceremony” for the official documentation and certificates. The Buddhist ceremony or "village" wedding is not official, but is often viewed as a lot more important in the eyes of Thai’s, and is generally a big party with everything done for show / face, however, remember that on it’s own, it is not legally recognised in the UK.

If you are a foreign national and you intend to marry a Thai national at an Amphur, then the first thing you will require is a document called an “Affirmation of Freedom to Marry”.

Affirmation of Freedom to Marry:

This is a document, stating you are legally free to marry. Retype the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, replacing the blanks with your details. Type it on one page and in the same format as the one on the UK Embassy website and take it, in person, to the Embassy in Bangkok or one of the other Honorary Consulates in Thailand to sign and have it witnessed before a British Consular official. They will in turn countersign it.

An appointment for this service is not necessary if using the British Embassy in Bangkok, but may be needed at other locations.

British Embassy Bangkok
14 Wireless Road
Lumpini
Pathumwan
Bangkok
Phone: +66 (0) 2 305 8333

The Embassy (Consular Section) provides this service to British nationals only.
You will require:-

• an unsigned but completed Affirmation of Freedom to Marry
  • your passport, as proof of identity
  • a fee of 3,350 Baht.
  • evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved / terminated i.e. an appropriate death certificate or divorce certificate for the UK (must be a certified / original decree absolute from the court)this is important.

Certificates issued in a Third country outside UK and Thailand must be certified by the relevant British Embassy/Consulate or its respective Embassy in Thailand.

Only the original certificate of divorce etc or a certified copy (court stamped) will be accepted – photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances. This process may take up to half a day to complete, so my advice is get there early as you may need to wait or collect it later.

To perform a marriage at an Amphur, the above “Affirmation of Freedom to Marry” has to be translated and legalised.

Translations & Legalisation:

This process translation and legalisation is completed in two parts and consists of:-

(a) having the document(s) translated
(cool.png authenticating the British Consular signature and
© certifying the Thai translation
(d) recording the document(s).

Once you have the signed and countersigned affirmation, you will need to have it translated into Thai. The British Embassy does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents.

There are however a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy who do, or you could use the small bookshop at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) that is very good. As you will be going to the MFA for the legalisation of the translated documents I would suggest getting the translation to Thai done there at the same time.

I would also suggest (at the same time) getting a translation of your wife’s Birth Certificate to English [for later use], I can not remember exactly how much we were charged, but it was not much, around a 300 Baht per document.

As a side note, the canteen on the ground floor of the MFA is very reasonable and serves very good Thai food and beverages, if you have to wait for a while.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The Legalisation Division
Department of Consular Affairs
123 Chaeng Wattana Road,
Laksi District, Bangkok 10210
Tel : +66 (0) 2 575 1056–59, 0 2981 7171
Web Site: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Once translated you will need to go upstairs in the MFA and have the translations legalised, this involves joining some bits of paper together and stamping them with the official stamp, and recording the documents on file etc. This can take a while unless you use the Express service.

You will require:-

• the signed and completed Affirmation of Freedom to Marry
  • any original decree absolute, evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved / terminated.
  • photocopies of your passport etc
  • a fee of 400 Baht (Standard Service) or 800 Baht (Express Service)

Get there early, as you need to present the translated documents upstairs before 12:00 midday if you want to use the express service (you will be directed to the supervisor’s office) and with luck, you will have them back that afternoon.

Photocopying is available for a few baht on the same floor.

That’s the extent of the legal documentation required to enable you to get married. You can now go and get legally married at an Amphur (the equivalent of a registry office).

The legalised affirmation and translation can be submitted to any Amphur registrar, along with your passport and “intended wife’s” ID Card, Birth Certificate, House Registration, etc, The registrar will then if satisfied, marry you, register the marriage and issue two copies of the Thai Marriage Certificate.

Amphur Marriage:

In theory, you could now get married in any Amphur, however, you may find that your spouse will want to marry in her local Amphur. This can have some benefit as she can obtain a document and immediately change her surname on her ID card, House Registration Document, etc (this change can only be done at her local Amphur office).

Or, she can obtain a certificated document to enable her to do it at a later stage if she requires.

Required documents etc:-

• the legalised completed Affirmation of Freedom to Marry
  • any original decree absolute, evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved / terminated.
  • your spouses ID card (maybe your spouses birth certificate)
  • your spouses house registration book
  • a fee of 40 Baht, maybe a few Baht more for photocopies etc.

It is advisable to obtain some photo copies of the marriage certificate and name change document at this stage.

At some point and this really depends when it is convenient and you find yourself back in Bangkok, have the original marriage certificate translated in to English and certified / legalised at the MFA. Required for the Visa Application later.

Congratulations – You are now officially married, and if you have followed the above, will hold the correct “marriage documentation” essential when submitting an application for a spouse settlement visa.

Edited by Rob180

again many thanks for all advice, getting married in udon local amphur so yes will change all id,house paper, to my name in readyness for applying for a spouse visa when i have all paperwork(started new job wage slips etc),the reason i asked about is our daughter is only 3ys old and i did not want my girlfriend to come to bkk with her so get everthing done then i can fly to udon to join them, so that is why i am trying to do same day embassy,translate and mfa in order to catch a flight to udon the same day, if no express advailable at mfa will have to go with ems to girlfriend home, many thanks for all of the posts good to know that there are people out there willing to offer advise and help.

again many thanks for all advice, getting married in udon local amphur so yes will change all id,house paper, to my name in readyness for applying for a spouse visa when i have all paperwork(started new job wage slips etc),the reason i asked about is our daughter is only 3ys old and i did not want my girlfriend to come to bkk with her so get everthing done then i can fly to udon to join them, so that is why i am trying to do same day embassy,translate and mfa in order to catch a flight to udon the same day, if no express advailable at mfa will have to go with ems to girlfriend home, many thanks for all of the posts good to know that there are people out there willing to offer advise and help.

Brasso, I understand it's impractical for your daughter to come to BK. I think it's possible to do it all in one day, but you are going to have to be at the Thai MFA for 1130am I think to use the Express Service. If you are delayed at the UK Embassy you will be struggling to get there for that time because you will have to get the translation done after you leave the Embassy then get to Lak Si either by taxi or by Skytrain then a taxi. You could get the translation done at the MFA which might be quicker, but if there's 5 people in front of you it won't be. Also given the current unrest in Bangkok, you may also encounter traffic delays caused by protests if you're unlucky.

I honestly think you will find it much less stressful to stay in BK overnight, go to the Embassy and get the translation done the first day then go to the MFA early the next morning, but of course it's............ 'up to you' biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

Brasso,

Best way to get from the British Embassy is taking a taxi using the Tollway getting on at Suk 1 make sure on the main road not the one just outside the embassy. By the time you have finished at the embassy and the translation it should be around 10 am so traffic will be lighter get off the Tollway at Chaeng Watthana junction 18.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

i'm due to leave udon thani this week to register my wedding in bangkok, sort of a*se about face from the op, and although i have trawled through

a lot of posts on this subject there are still a few points that are not clear to me,

first it says in the embassy opening hours that some of the afternoon opening hours are for collection only?

does that mean you can only collect finished confirmation of freedom to marry forms. ?

also in the documents needed i have seen proof of income but i can't recall that being mentioned in this thread.

just a few things that niggle me and i was going to phone the embassy to clear them up until i seen these well explained posts.

so if anyone can give me the answers it will save me phoning. cheers.and congrats.

Hi Zoza, no proof of income is required. Your affirmation can have income stated on it, but nobody takes any account of that.

Don't know about the collection thing, but I don't recommend going in the afternoon, it will be busy. Best to go for opening time which is 830am.

You may also wish to know, because it's not mentioned anywhere else....................when the marriage is a farang and Thai woman at an Amphur,the female is required to produce a recent certificate from a hospital confirming she is not pregnant. This happened to us, we had to go to the hospital and go back and get married the next day. If you don't have that certificate they won't marry you (unless different rules apply in different provinces which I doubt.).

ok rob my reasoning for the afternoon visit was because we land in Bangkok around 13.30pm and if I can drop the confirmation

docs at the embassy that afternoon, maybe I could return the next morning and then do the translation and go to the M.O.F.A

and the ampore, I know its a bit back to front, but I'm just trying to save a day of running round.and seeing its six years since we

actually got married an extra day shouldn't matter.

and I think i'll get the missus to phone over the pregnant or not as she has had the snip,so will she need documentation

that could be another fly in the ointment as were due to fly on Tuesday.

thanks for the info.

Edited by zoza

Hi Zoza, no proof of income is required. Your affirmation can have income stated on it, but nobody takes any account of that.

Don't know about the collection thing, but I don't recommend going in the afternoon, it will be busy. Best to go for opening time which is 830am.

You may also wish to know, because it's not mentioned anywhere else....................when the marriage is a farang and Thai woman at an Amphur,the female is required to produce a recent certificate from a hospital confirming she is not pregnant. This happened to us, we had to go to the hospital and go back and get married the next day. If you don't have that certificate they won't marry you (unless different rules apply in different provinces which I doubt.).

There is no such requirement.

There is a requirement to produce a statement that you are not pregnant if you marry with another person within 310 days of a divorce. Nothing to do with a foreigner and a Thai national marrying.

well I was unsure whether to share my experience at first, but if it can save someone else the

bother publish and be dammed spring to mind,

7.00am up and showered and looking for a taxi (we did not use the number provided by the condo manager as wife's family advised local taxis ok. 1st mistake)taxi had no intention of taking us to the British embassy so when I pointed out we were going the wrong way the diver said the embassy had moved, he pulled up outside a large building and my wife paid him and got out the taxi, I followed still protesting he had took us to the wrong place.at the doors there was a small queue of thai

agents and a thai lady and a uniformed guard, I asked both if this was the British embassy and

they both confirmed it was.there is a large sign outside saying consular affairs, but it looks nothing like an embassy.

one escalator and three flights of stairs later and I found we were in the M.O.F.A and another lesson learned. back out to the main road, first four taxi's didn't fancy a trip to the embassy, but

the fifth did, as I got in the back of the cab I noticed the driver's eyes were rolled back in his

head and he was biting his lower lip as though he was possessed, at this point my wife started saying " get out the car " I did not need telling twice as the driver didn't appear remotely human.

eventually we found a drug free and willing cab to take us to wireless road lumpini.

the people at the British embassy couldn't of been anymore helpful and even corrected a couple of things I had got wrong on the freedom to marry form, 3510 bht and my second mistake, I decided

to get the translation done at the M.O.F.A and by the time we got that done it was 1.30pm

and when I presented my newly translated freedom to marry form I was told come back on Friday I

told the lady I would not be in Bangkok on Friday she said ok come back tomorrow (thurs)so we called it a day.

6.00am up and the driver took us to the car park entrance of the M.O.F.A where there was a lot of thai agents and another farang these doors open slightly ahead of the main doors it seems.

you need a signed copy of your passport and your ladies I d can be done ground floor mofa or as

I discovered when we spoke to one of the thai agents get your confirmation form translated near

the British embassy and pay 300bht for an agent to go the mofa for you, if you pay the 800 express

fee as well you should be ready for the amphur by 12noon.

we are going to complete the job in banglamung amphur as I am told yhey are quite farang friendly,

and I believe this freedom to marry has a three month shelf life?.

well I was unsure whether to share my experience at first, but if it can save someone else the

bother publish and be dammed spring to mind,

7.00am up and showered and looking for a taxi (we did not use the number provided by the condo manager as wife's family advised local taxis ok. 1st mistake)taxi had no intention of taking us to the British embassy so when I pointed out we were going the wrong way the diver said the embassy had moved, he pulled up outside a large building and my wife paid him and got out the taxi, I followed still protesting he had took us to the wrong place.at the doors there was a small queue of thai

agents and a thai lady and a uniformed guard, I asked both if this was the British embassy and

they both confirmed it was.there is a large sign outside saying consular affairs, but it looks nothing like an embassy.

one escalator and three flights of stairs later and I found we were in the M.O.F.A and another lesson learned. back out to the main road, first four taxi's didn't fancy a trip to the embassy, but

the fifth did, as I got in the back of the cab I noticed the driver's eyes were rolled back in his

head and he was biting his lower lip as though he was possessed, at this point my wife started saying " get out the car " I did not need telling twice as the driver didn't appear remotely human.

eventually we found a drug free and willing cab to take us to wireless road lumpini.

the people at the British embassy couldn't of been anymore helpful and even corrected a couple of things I had got wrong on the freedom to marry form, 3510 bht and my second mistake, I decided

to get the translation done at the M.O.F.A and by the time we got that done it was 1.30pm

and when I presented my newly translated freedom to marry form I was told come back on Friday I

told the lady I would not be in Bangkok on Friday she said ok come back tomorrow (thurs)so we called it a day.

6.00am up and the driver took us to the car park entrance of the M.O.F.A where there was a lot of thai agents and another farang these doors open slightly ahead of the main doors it seems.

you need a signed copy of your passport and your ladies I d can be done ground floor mofa or as

I discovered when we spoke to one of the thai agents get your confirmation form translated near

the British embassy and pay 300bht for an agent to go the mofa for you, if you pay the 800 express

fee as well you should be ready for the amphur by 12noon.

we are going to complete the job in banglamung amphur as I am told yhey are quite farang friendly,

and I believe this freedom to marry has a three month shelf life?.