Legal age of consent in Thailand 16 or 18

quiuvo

Don't forget, under Thai law someone is a minor (unless legally married) under the age of 20.

There is also a law about keeping a minor from their parents. That one also has strict penalties and has the advantage that no sex has to be discussed.

So if the parents of my 19 year old girlfriend get angry at me for bringing their daughter home late I go to jail? Am I reading that correctly?

no.

For all purposes the legal age of consent for sex is 18.

The concept of "being minor" applies to the legal capacity to bindingly agree to contracts. The Law specifies that sex is ok from 18.

I don't think Mario or I said anything about sex. Are you saying he is wrong saying, "Don't forget, under Thai law someone is a minor (unless legally married) under the age of 20. There is also a law about keeping a minor from their parents"

I said if I brought her home late from a date.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget, under Thai law someone is a minor (unless legally married) under the age of 20.

There is also a law about keeping a minor from their parents. That one also has strict penalties and has the advantage that no sex has to be discussed.

So if the parents of my 19 year old girlfriend get angry at me for bringing their daughter home late I go to jail? Am I reading that correctly?

no.

The concept of "being minor" applies to the legal capacity to bindingly agree to contracts. The Law specifies that sex is ok from 18.

I don't think Mario or I said anything about sex. Are you saying he is wrong saying, "Don't forget, under Thai law someone is a minor (unless legally married) under the age of 20. There is also a law about keeping a minor from their parents"

sorry I misread!

I guess that law is about an obligation to bring within reasonable time the girl to her parents if she or her parents or legal guardians express the wish.

Edited by manarak

In my country age of consent is 16 but if the potential partner is over six years older then its jail time as a sex offender/pedo.

Well if the more deluded TV forum members are correct in their assertions that young Thai females grow up fantasizing about having intercourse with fat, perspiring, curmudgeonly Western pensioners, that law wouldn't work here.

• Like 2

no.

sorry I misread!

I guess that law is about an obligation to bring within reasonable time the girl to her parents if she or her parents or legal guardians express the wish.

Do you see the potential for abuse there if one is dating a woman of 19 years of age? Mom and pop show up at your hotel with the cops and say, "We didn't say little Lek could stay the weekend with the Farang."

• Like 1

In my country age of consent is 16 but if the potential partner is over six years older then its jail time as a sex offender/pedo.

Which country? Do you mean that any greater than 6 year age gap is illegal? Or just for 16 year olds? Can a 23 year old guy date a 17 year old or is that illegal? Strange country!
16 year olds pal just at legal age.Nothing strange about that ,just ask jimmy saville and gary glitter and the bbc for al i care .i hope you dont have a teenage daughter .

Sorry but you haven't answered my question. I have no issue with 16 being the age of consent, it is in my country (the UK), but I've never heard of a law where anything more than a 6-year age gap is illegal that (apparently) is the case in your country! Where is this place?

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

No body should have to know this here, unless you are 16 or 17 yourself.

It seems like a lot of adults sit trying to calculate how young they can go and still be within the law. If you are doing that, you may be a pedo.

That's rather naive! Anyone who frequents bars, freelancer discos and gogos in places like Nana, Cowboy or Pattaya should certainly be aware that any girl under 18 should be avoided, and should always check IDs carefully. Nothing at all to do with paedophilia.

no.

sorry I misread!

Do you see the potential for abuse there if one is dating a woman of 19 years of age? Mom and pop show up at your hotel with the cops and say, "We didn't say little Lek could stay the weekend with the Farang."

No, I don't see more potential for abuse, than if the girl said she had been raped or stayed with you against her will.

Anything can be good to scare a foreigner, but these allegations also have to stand in court.

No need to be alarmed.

It seems like a lot of adults sit trying to calculate how young they can go and still be within the law. If you are doing that, you may be a pedo.

No, it is quite natural for a male of any age to be attracted to a young female that has reached sexual maturity (which usually occurs in girls at between 14 - 16 years).

Paedophiles are attracted to children who have not reached sexual maturity, often not even started developing.

Sex with a sexually mature 14 year old girl is not paedophilia, it is underage sex.

Still very wrong, but the urge is natural and normal. What's not normal is giving in to the urge.

Edited by manarak

That's rather naive! Anyone who frequents bars, freelancer discos and gogos in places like Nana, Cowboy or Pattaya should certainly be aware that any girl under 18 should be avoided, and should always check IDs carefully. Nothing at all to do with paedophilia.

Agreed. That's not what i said.

sorry I misread!

No, I don't see more potential for abuse, than if the girl said she had been raped or stayed with you against her will.

Sounds like you are a Thai lawyer. Are you or just an expat giving an opinion.

So the guy who claims to be old enough to be around in Chicago's corrupt days has a 19 year old GF. Interesting if I am reading that correctly I suppose it is legal age .... just

• Like 1

You didn't ask me if I was a lawyer when you directly asked specifically me if I see a potential for abuse of that Law.

Now I gave my opinion, you have it and you can do what you want with it.

Edited by manarak

You didn't ask me if I was a lawyer when you directly asked specifically me if I see a potential for abuse of that Law.

Now I gave my opinion, you have it and you can do what you want with it.

So, I take it you are just another ex pat like me, given you have not provided a link detailing the laws governing parents and children till the child is 20.

Just asking. (Not saying anything bad but you write with great authority like a lawyer would.)

I think i can, as a parent if my19 year old daughter is late from a date, have the boy arrested and held in jail. Of course I could not do this with rape because I would not know what happened.

Edited by thailiketoo

So, I take it you are just another ex pat like me, given you have not provided a link detailing the laws governing parents and children till the child is 20.

Just asking. (Not saying anything bad but you write with great authority like a lawyer would.)

I think i can, as a parent if my19 year old daughter is late from a date, have the boy arrested and held in jail. Of course I could not do this with rape because I would not know what happened.

Then we will have to wait until Mario provides us with a precise reference to this Law so we can see if and how it could apply.

I very much doubt it could be abused in a simple case of coming home too late.

P.S.

it looks like the multiquote feature doesn't work as intended - in my first attempt, Mario's post was not marked as a quote, I had to edit it myself.

Edited by manarak

No, it is quite natural for a male of any age to be attracted to a young female that has reached sexual maturity (which usually occurs in girls at between 14 - 16 years).

Paedophiles are attracted to children who have not reached sexual maturity, often not even started developing.

Sex with a sexually mature 14 year old girl is not paedophilia, it is underage sex.

Still very wrong, but the urge is natural and normal. What's not normal is giving in to the urge.

I am not going to get in trouble. I asked the ? Only to enlightened myself with all of your replies. Thank you all. I am not into underage girls. I am into overage girls.

So 13-17 as a foreigner your taking a shot in the dark, my suggestion , Don't do it.

Or an alternative suggestion, get yourself to a psychiatrist pronto and stay the hell away from playgrounds and schools.

Many men want to have a younger female. I don't know if that is right or wrong. It depends on the ages and I think younger than 16 should be illegal but then again I was wrong there too just like I was told by a lot of you people. I'm happy with what I have. I lady who is 30 plus.

Sorry but this website has some strickt rules about certain topics and this topic makes me sick to the stomache......

After reading some posts here.

You are joking? Jeez it is an innocent question. If you don't like younger women go get yourself an old hag at soi 7 in bkk. Maybe you have one already. Ok to each his own. I like my girl who is 30 plus .. Again.

• Like 2

13 if they are your wife (with a judges permission)
15 if they are your gf (with parental permission)
20 if they are an employee

Remember, your own countries laws are also in effect, if you ever plan on returning there.

Or you could be returning there in chains, regardless of your plans

I would stick with 18, and ask for an ID

Edited by bobthomas

My friend and I had a conversation about the age of consent on this subject so I decided to ask this forum knowing I would get the answer here. My girlfriend is over 30. I am not interested in girls.

I guess the age of consent laws apply to boys too, so you should be fine.

I think he was referring to "girls" as opposed to "women".

He does have a 30 year old girlfriend giggle.gif

My friend and I had a conversation about the age of consent on this subject so I decided to ask this forum knowing I would get the answer here. My girlfriend is over 30. I am not interested in girls.

I guess the age of consent laws apply to boys too, so you should be fine.

Wow, I can't be right can't i? If I say lady to girls you guys jump at me. If I say I'm not interested in girls because I'm interested in WOMEN you make a statement like the above ! ..

Was it a guess on your part or you know first hand that the law applies to males?

thumbsup.gif

Sorry but this website has some strickt rules about certain topics and this topic makes me sick to the stomache......

You are joking? Jeez it is an innocent question. If you don't like younger women go get yourself an old hag at soi 7 in bkk. Maybe you have one already. Ok to each his own. I like my girl who is 30 plus .. Again.
Do you like do dress her up in a schoolgirl uniform at age of 30?

50 million grown up Japanese men do.

It is a Lolita thing. Nothing to do with Pedo.

For the record: Not my style though.

Edited by Travel2003
  • Like 2

Kudell, you are one sob. Up to you. I'm sure you get your kicks other ways.