Flooding in Chalong?

NomadJoe

I believe a tesseban radio truck just passed my house in Rawai broadcasting in Thai that Chalong circle is flooded and impassible. Pretty steady rain and very high tide overnight so makes sense.

What's that, looking for excuses not to go to work?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I believe a tesseban radio truck just passed my house in Rawai broadcasting in Thai that Chalong circle is flooded and impassible. Pretty steady rain and very high tide overnight so makes sense.

I imagine the flooding would be in front of Home Pro, so I would still probably have been able to make it on a bike picking through traffic. Our boat was cancelled due to weather today anyway, but I must work in the office this afternoon.

The truck went by 2 more times before 0730 but I couldn't make anything out clearly except the words "Kata" and "Karon". The first time I thought for sure I heard the Thai word for flood, and they defiantly said "hayeak Chalong." I will have to ask one of the neighbors what it was about. Perhaps just a general weather warning. According to the Rule 31 website, lots of boats sank on Phi Phi overnight. And now I see this just came out: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Port-closed-yachts-beached-as-storm-lashes-Phuket-22861.html

Edited by NomadJoe

Joe, were there boxing type guys on the top of the truck smacking their gloves together?

I would hope not at 7am. Same type of thing though.

Now my guess is it was directed to all the longtail and speedboat captains that live in the area. I am reading more reports of a big push this morning to keep all boats ashore.

I imagine the flooding would be in front of Home Pro, so I would still probably have been able to make it on a bike picking through traffic. Our boat was cancelled due to weather today anyway, but I must work in the office this afternoon.

The truck went by 2 more times before 0730 but I couldn't make anything out clearly except the words "Kata" and "Karon". The first time I thought for sure I heard the Thai word for flood, and they defiantly said "hayeak Chalong." I will have to ask one of the neighbors what it was about. Perhaps just a general weather warning. According to the Rule 31 website, lots of boats sank on Phi Phi overnight. And now I see this just came out: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Port-closed-yachts-beached-as-storm-lashes-Phuket-22861.html

Same for me, I cancelled for my guests for yesterday and today. In hindsight yesterday was not necessary, but that is the way it is.

Passed Chalong circle this morning direction Central at 09.05, no problem at all BTW.

It was probably the truck sent out by EGAT warning of electricity cuts. They just don't send out trucks for flooding.

It was probably the truck sent out by EGAT warning of electricity cuts. They just don't send out trucks for flooding.

As in planned electricity cuts, or because of the storm? Seems strange to be announcing planned cuts at 7am, and it also seems odd to announce unscheduled cuts during a storm. I have seen and heard these trucks before. This one definitely didn't say "fai dap" at any point like the others did.

Edited by NomadJoe

Have been throughout Chalong, from the Circle to Vichit area, several times today, earliest circa 0730, latest 1830. No flooding anywhere, either on Chaofa East or West. Did spend a couple of hours in the Ao Yon/Khao Khat areas of Cape Panwa this afternoon though, and no flooding but a disaster story as regards the boats moored in Ao Yon. Fortunately mine's ashore so didn't have to worry. I've seen the odd boat or two end up on the rocks during bad weather before, but this was absolute carnage.

post-62520-0-63751900-1385219280_thumb.j

post-62520-0-19775000-1385219311_thumb.j

post-62520-0-46884600-1385219332_thumb.j

post-62520-0-78530600-1385219355_thumb.j