Myanmar boy, 7, used as drug mule: Thai police

webfact

Myanmar boy, 7, used as drug mule: Thai police

BANGKOK, November 23, 2013 (AFP) - Thai police found a seven-year-old boy from Myanmar crying alone at a bus stop with almost 10,000 methamphetamine pills in his backpack in western Thailand, officers said Saturday.

The child was discovered on Thursday evening in the Thong Pha Phum district of Kanchanaburi province near the border with Myanmar, local police said.

"Officers approached him and asked him questions, but he could not speak Thai," district police chief Colonel Amnuay Pongsawat told AFP.

He said the drugs were found in about 50 plastic bags wedged into two baby powder bottles.

"It is the first time that we have seen drug trafficking gangs use a child as a courier," Amnuay said.

He said he believed the boy had been dropped off by an uncle.

The United Nations sounded the alarm this month over record seizures of methamphetamine in parts of Asia.

In its pill form -- known in Thailand as "yaba", which means "crazy medicine" -- the narcotic is used both as a party drug and pick-me-up for low paid workers with long hours.

Thai authorities netted 95.3 million pills last year -- a 93 percent increase on 2011 -- and most of the supply was thought to have been produced in Myanmar.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-23

Oh you folk are amazing. This story isn't about the police, and your feelings and thoughts of them, it's about this poor little innocent child being used as a drug mule. Have some compassion!!

What would compassion change? smile.png I imagine that the "folk" referenced are just as shocked and concerned for the little boy - some of us cry - some make a joke and try to laugh - just different ways to handle circumstances over which we have no control. And be careful about who you call a folk - some of these old folkers might take offense. Regardless, being critical of people with a different view is not a remedy. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

10,000 pills. 2 baby powder containers. The Thai police would never give in to exaggeration, would they? Or could 1,000 be "almost" 10,000?

The BIB can only count 100 baht bills, anything more, they're at a lost. cheesy.gif

Did you really think they count them one by one??? They weigh one and then all and divide the total weight by the weight of one and then they have a number. So let's say it was 9900 and then you've got almost 10000! Also, baby powder containers come in some formidable sizes.

• Like 1

Oh you folk are amazing. This story isn't about the police, and your feelings and thoughts of them, it's about this poor little innocent child being used as a drug mule. Have some compassion!!

What would compassion change? smile.png I imagine that the "folk" referenced are just as shocked and concerned for the little boy - some of us cry - some make a joke and try to laugh - just different ways to handle circumstances over which we have no control. And be careful about who you call a folk - some of these old folkers might take offense. Regardless, being critical of people with a different view is not a remedy. coffee1.gif

Compassion won't change the fact these kids are being used and abused. Nor does airing your feelings and thoughts about the police. Folk is a general term for people, perhaps I should have used the word 'people' instead. And I know people deal with things in different ways, seen too much in my life time to understand that comment. And I am fully aware that having a different view is not a remedy, that was not my intention. My intention was, as stated, this story is about the innocent child being used as a drug mule not about the police. Doubt the world will see a remedy for this abhorrent behaviour in the near future...sad but true...sad.png

I feel truly sorry for the child. I sincerely hope they simply return the kids to his family in Myanmar and get hold of the real culprit.

Really? I hope not. The drugs smugglers had to either know the kids family or actually be the kids family. I don't see drug smugglers kidnapping a kid and have him cooperate to go to Thailand. Someone in the family had to talk the kid into going peacefully into Thailand. Obviously something in their plan fell apart, which I hope it happens every time. What I hope is the authorizes find this child someone good to stay.

Compassion won't change the fact these kids are being used and abused. Nor does airing your feelings and thoughts about the police. Folk is a general term for people, perhaps I should have used the word 'people' instead. And I know people deal with things in different ways, seen too much in my life time to understand that comment. And I am fully aware that having a different view is not a remedy, that was not my intention. My intention was, as stated, this story is about the innocent child being used as a drug mule not about the police. Doubt the world will see a remedy for this abhorrent behaviour in the near future...sad but true...sad.png

Nowhere on this post did I make any comments about police (even though others did); so I could add, ranting in the wrong direction, to my comment above. I read your post as being intolerant of other posts while using compassion as justification to be so; hence, as far I was concerned, that negated the plea for compassion and justified my rant. blink.png Time for... coffee1.gif