10.000 baht withdraw limit for a single transaction with a foreign Maestro/Cirrus debit card

The withdraw daily limit with my European bank is 500 euro. So I can easily withdraw 20.000 baht per day with my European Maestro/Cirrus debit card, as I did since many years here in Thailand.

But yesterday at “Yellow Bank” I tried to withdraw 20.000 baht, no way. Then I tried 19.000, 18.000…down to 15.000 baht…still no way. The display screen said all the times “invalid amount”. And I gave up.

Today I tried to withdraw 20.000 from Kasinkorn Bank and the display screen said “users of MasterCard are limited to 10,000 Baht” and finally I could withdraw only 10.000 baht. Right after I went to the same “Yellow Bank” ATM machine of yesterday and I withdrew 10.000 baht.

So now to get 20.000 baht I have to pay 360 baht ATM fee to the Thai bank (180 baht + 180 baht) and twice the flat commission to my European bank for the 2 transactions because it seems that from now on I can’t get anymore 20.000 baht in just one transaction. <deleted>!!!

Did anyone else experience the same situation?

P.S. Unfortunately where I live there's no AEON branch.

The withdraw daily limit with my European bank is 500 euro. So I can easily withdraw 20.000 baht per day with my European Maestro/Cirrus debit card, as I did since many years here in Thailand.

But yesterday at “Yellow Bank” I tried to withdraw 20.000 baht, no way. Then I tried 19.000, 18.000…down to 15.000 baht…still no way. The display screen said all the times “invalid amount”. And I gave up.

Today I tried to withdraw 20.000 from Kasinkorn Bank and the display screen said “users of MasterCard are limited to 10,000 Baht” and finally I could withdraw only 10.000 baht. Right after I went to the same “Yellow Bank” ATM machine of yesterday and I withdrew 10.000 baht.

So now to get 20.000 baht I have to pay 360 baht ATM fee to the Thai bank (180 baht + 180 baht) and twice the flat commission to my European bank for the 2 transactions because it seems that from now on I can’t get anymore 20.000 baht in just one transaction. <deleted>!!!

Did anyone else experience the same situation?

P.S. Unfortunately where I live there's no AEON branch.

Same with abn amro and deutsche bank cards 10,000 limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You're probably coming up against the ATM's limit each time.

I think you'll find that if you go into the bank with your card and passport and do the withdrawal over the counter, you'll be able to withdraw up to your card's limit. That will also save the ATM fee - I've done it many times at SCB, though not at the banks you mention.

In fact, one of my UK cards allows me to withdraw £2000 over the counter in local currency at discretion of local bank and I've withdrawn 50,000 Baht on it and promptly paid some of the cash into my SCB account. That way, you just get your money at the prevailing exchange rate and pay no fees. rolleyes.gif

Edited by VBF

I have the same problem for some time with Kasikorn. They told me because I do not have a visa card that the max to take out is 10,000 bath. I now use the atm from Bangkok bank and can take out 20,000 bath.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have the same problem, its a stupid rule and has nothing to do with ATM limit. Tried it with my Dutch rabobank card that always worked on kasikorn, and would give only 10.000 while my thai bank gave 20.000 at the same machine. Its a probably done to get more comission. As others said the Dutch banks have a 500 eur limit.

But thank god the SCB does give the 20.000

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

It has nothing to do with the Thai Banks or with Scams etc etc

this is an excerpt from a Dutch Bank a friend send me (Translated from Dutch to English)

ATMs abroad:

At ATMs abroad you can withdraw up to € 500, standard. But beware, this amount may differ by country or by bank. ABN AMRO has no effect on these differences. Do you withdraw money in countries outside Europe? Then you can withdraw up - to € 300, This limited limit applies only to ATMs that are not suitable for the new way of pins. This unfortunately you can not see from the outside of the ATM. With the reduced limit, we can better protect against fraud abroad.

Source: https://www.abnamro.nl/nl/prive/betalen/betaalpas/kenmerken.html

Edited by MJCM

I think you'll find that if you go into the bank with your card and passport and do the withdrawal over the counter, you'll be able to withdraw up to your card's limit. That will also save the ATM fee - I've done it many times at SCB, though not at the banks you mention.

In fact, one of my UK cards allows me to withdraw £2000 over the counter in local currency at discretion of local bank and I've withdrawn 50,000 Baht on it and promptly paid some of the cash into my SCB account. That way, you just get your money at the prevailing exchange rate and pay no fees. rolleyes.gif

I'll try it, but as far as I know it's possible only with a credit card, not with a Maestro/Cirrus bankcard//cashcard/debit card. Anyway I'll give a try. ;)

this is an excerpt from a Dutch Bank a friend send me (Translated from Dutch to English)

ATMs abroad:

At ATMs abroad you can withdraw up to € 500, standard. But beware, this amount may differ by country or by bank. ABN AMRO has no effect on these differences. Do you withdraw money in countries outside Europe? Then you can withdraw up - to € 300, This limited limit applies only to ATMs that are not suitable for the new way of pins. This unfortunately you can not see from the outside of the ATM. With the reduced limit, we can better protect against fraud abroad.

My bank is not Dutch, but anyway I can still withdraw up to 500 euro per day (my daily limit), but not anymore in just a single transaction. Now I can do it only in 2 transactions, one right after one....and of course this means to pay twice the ATM fee to the Thai bank and to my bank in Europe.... :bah:

ATMs abroad:

But up to 300 Euros is almost 13K baht, not the 10K baht limit some folks are seeing. I expect the local Thai bank is behind the 10K baht limit.

ATMs abroad:

But up to 300 Euros is almost 13K baht, not the 10K baht limit some folks are seeing. I expect the local Thai bank is behind the 10K baht limit.

I agree. My last withdraw before I noticed this new limit was in last April and it was no problem to withdraw more than 10.000 baht in a single transaction. So, I reckon it's the Thai bank who introduced this 10.000 baht limit for a single transaction....and of course also my european bank is glad to get more fee... :whistling:

ATMs abroad:

Pib, to withdraw this amount my friend has go through the following sequence (SCB ATM used as an example)

- Change Language to English

- Select withdraw

- Select Savings account

- Type in the amount 12.000 THB

- Accept the prompts about the 180 THB fee and the currency conversion

He has been successfully withdrawing the 12k THB the last couple of days

Edited by MJCM

O use a metro bank card(no charges) with an Aeon machine ,these have a 20 000 baht limit ,but the card provider will only allow 300 pounds a day ,15000 baht at the moment ,i tried to get it raised but they wont ,its their rule abroad. nothing to do with the banks here.

O use a metro bank card(no charges) with an Aeon machine ,these have a 20 000 baht limit ,but the card provider will only allow 300 pounds a day ,15000 baht at the moment ,i tried to get it raised but they wont ,its their rule abroad. nothing to do with the banks here.

My european bank still allows me to withdraw every day up to my daily limit (500 euro = 20.000 baht). The point is that now I can withdraw 20.000 baht only after 2 transactions (10.000 + 10.000, back to back). For years, using the same card, I was able to get 20.000 baht in just one transaction. That's why I think it's the Thai Bank who decided this change.

P.S. And the ATM fee to the Thai bank is now 180 baht, until my previous withdraw on last April was still 150 baht....

My european bank still allows me to withdraw every day up to my daily limit (500 euro = 20.000 baht). The point is that now I can withdraw 20.000 baht only after 2 transactions (10.000 + 10.000, back to back). For years, using the same card, I was able to get 20.000 baht in just one transaction. That's why I think it's the Thai Bank who decided this change.

P.S. And the ATM fee to the Thai bank is now 180 baht, until my previous withdraw on last April was still 150 baht....

Yea, around mid year Thai banks changed some fees for foreign cards....Visa is still Bt150 per withdrawal, but Mastercard increased from Bt150 to Bt180 per withdrawal.

@globalC

I will let my friend try the Aeon ATM to see if he can withdraw more then 10k.

Maybe he has to follow the same steps as when withdrawing the 12k at the SCB Atm (if that is even possible at the AEON atm)

Limit per withdrawal at an AEON ATM is now Bt20K (regardless of card type...Visa or Mastercard..and assuming the card-issuing bank allows that much per transaction/day)...this changed about 3-6 months ago...it didn't occur overnight at each and every AEON ATM...but was staggered. The AEON ATM may or may not mention the new Bt20K limit. My local AEON ATM in my nearby Tesco Lotus mall does not mention the new limit anywhere...not on any screen display or external label. But other posters say the AEON ATMs they use do clearly display the Bt20K baht limit and one even posted a picture of the screen display stating the Bt20K limit.

I have a $1000/day U.S. no foreign transaction fee debit card (actually I got two) and before I could withdraw up to Bt32K per transaction/day when the USD/Baht exchange rate was over 32. Now if I try enter more than Bt20K "the particular AEON ATM" I use all the time unceremoniously displays an error message for about two seconds, then the screen goes gray, and then kicks my card out...all of this happens in about 3 seconds after pressing the Confirm button with a entry greater than Bt20K. It's not nice and simply tells me to try again and enter a lower amount not to exceed Bt20K....instead it just spits my card out. I expect whoever setup this AEON ATM forgot to enter anything about the Bt20K limit...lot of different model AEON ATMs out there...some kinda old, some kinda new. I can still get my daily $1000/approx Bt32K withdrawal limit by simply sliding the card in twice to reach my limit...I usually put Bt20K and then immediately slide it in again to pull another Bt10K to Bt12K depending on the exchange rate. And there have been a few times where I have used both of my debit cards in 4 withdrawals to pull Bt64K...then I took about 20 steps to my Thai bank Cash Deposit Machine and deposited/recharged my Thai bank account that way. Absolutely not fees anywhere along the way, I got the Visa exchange rate which is plus of minus the TT Buying Rate provided by Thai banks for incoming wire transfers, and I got the money immediately.

Works good...hope it continues to work good (knock on wood...my head)...sure hope Thai banks don't do an across the board reduction to Bt10K per withdrawal regardless of the foreign card...to me that means they are just getting more fee hungry. I don't use Thai bank ATMs to withdrawal funds with my foreign cards; I only use AEON ATMs since I have several close to me here in Bangkok...plus they don't charge an foreign card Bt150/Bt180 fee like Thai banks...and sure hope AEON ATMs don't start.

I'll try it, but as far as I know it's possible only with a credit card, not with a Maestro/Cirrus bankcard//cashcard/debit card. Anyway I'll give a try. wink.png

Not so - the card I used is a Visa Debit - I try to avoid using a Credit card in this situation because then the CC company would levy a Cash Advance fee in addition to any other fees that might or might not occur.

ATMs abroad:

Too bad my Rabobank confirmed me they did not change the rules this is for the ABN and that has been in force for a while.

I also posted that there are banks that still give it so its a scam

I have the same problem, its a stupid rule and has nothing to do with ATM limit. Tried it with my Dutch rabobank card that always worked on kasikorn, and would give only 10.000 while my thai bank gave 20.000 at the same machine. Its a probably done to get more comission. As others said the Dutch banks have a 500 eur limit.

But thank god the SCB does give the 20.000

How much is the standard ATM fee now - the fee charged by the Thai bank?

Visa Bt150 and Mastercard Bt180. It use to be Bt150 for either but 3-6 months ago the fee for Mastercard went up. Thai banks charge this foreign card use fee but AEON ATMs (a Japanese company) do not charge the fee.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1