Has Suthep thought through his political goals?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Has Suthep thought through his political goals?

Kornchanok Raksaseri

30220595-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- The fact that protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, a former Democrat MP, has stepped up his recent rallying many times - and his statement on Sunday that he would not stop, even if Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra resigned or dissolved the House - has many puzzled.

"What's the point?" they ask.

There are many questions for protest leader Suthep to clarify. The definition of "the Thaksin regime", his protest target, is one of them.

From the beginning almost a month ago, the number of Suthep-led protesters has fluctuated. It first peaked when the people came out against the blanket amnesty bill, then dropped after the government announced a retreat and the Senate rejected the bill - while Suthep called for civil disobedience and stepped up the rally against "the Thaksin regime".

He later announced Sunday November 24 as the big day on which one million people would come out and join the protest.

The atmosphere seemed to have calmed down until the Parliament president and hundreds of parliamentarians announced their rejection of the power of the Constitutional Court. Last week the court ruled that the charter amendment on the system of selecting senators, proposed and pushed by the government MPs and some senators, was unconstitutional, prompting the red shirts to rally against the court.

The number of protesters joining the protests then became historic. Suthep yesterday led the protesters to march on government agencies and call on officials to take his side.

He has hinted his protest would end within three days, saying either he or his rival would have to go. If so, what can his plan be?

Will he find a cause to step up the rally again and force the government to stop working within three days? Can it be the censure debate and impeachment against Yingluck?

Or else will he bow out of the rally? In this case, how will he evaluate his achievement?

What is his plan after that? How will Thailand be governed afterwards?

If the House is dissolved, what will the next election bring? How can Thais be sure there would not be another rally, either if Pheu Thai comes back or otherwise?

The historic number of protesters comprised not only pro-Democrats. Many said they did not come because of the Democrats but because they could not accept what the government had done.

Suthep must keep in mind that illegitimate or excessive measures will only result in a drop in support.

Regardless of Suthep's plan or non-plan, there is one thing the protesters have expressed clearly: they do not accept cheating, corruption, conflict of interest or abuse of power.

If the government continues its administration and has a chance to prove itself, it should think really carefully before doing anything that can be considered among the ill deeds listed above.

Thailand's political divisiveness has come and gone in a vicious cycle. All opposing sides, as well as political critics, have proposed political reform. The question is how?

The government's reform forum has been stagnant and some participants have withdrawn. It is, just as in many forums on politics nowadays, a question of trust, openness and fairness, and the possibility of how the results would be turned into practice.

In fact, the forums can lead to endless arguments over the definition of issues and the objectives or goals of discussion in the view of various political groups.

Prolonged protests, defiance of the courts and political divisiveness are not healthy for the country.

It is for Thai people to think harder and harder about what they really want. We cannot just let politicians lead us to somewhere or something we don't know or don't want.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

• Like 1

I feel the concept of Government is lost upon these politicians? in Thailand.

Get elected, do what is right for the people and the country and let the people decide at the polls how well you have done or not done....

Not lose an election, get enough people to protest (i.e. paid protesters) try and bring down the Government so your party can get their noses back in the corrupt trough again!

Until Government and Governing is understood and accepted by the majority of Thai people and the corrupt lose control political stability cannot be achieved.

• Like 1

I feel the concept of Government is lost upon these politicians? in Thailand.

Get elected, do what is right for the people and the country and let the people decide at the polls how well you have done or not done....

Not lose an election, get enough people to protest (i.e. paid protesters) try and bring down the Government so your party can get their noses back in the corrupt trough again!

Until Government and Governing is understood and accepted by the majority of Thai people and the corrupt lose control political stability cannot be achieved.

"Has Suthep thought through his political goals?"

Can these people actually think??

Sutheep, has 2 degrees, how many have you? One of his degrees is from the USA ...... so people with degrees from the USA cant think, must remember that.

30+ years as an MP, a secretary of Democrats who has given credit for forming Abhisit's goverment. If, in terms of political strategy, he does not think, I wonder if anyone can think at all. No good or bad here, just pure strategy.

"Regardless of Suthep's plan or non-plan, there is one thing the protesters have expressed clearly: they do not accept cheating, corruption, conflict of interest or abuse of power."

This seems to be an oxymoron. When Suthep was then, Minister of Agriculture and Deputy Prime Minister, he cheated, corrupted and totally flounted a similar system he is now fighting against. These Thai politicians never cease to amaze me.

When and how....I would recommend you sue him if you know about any corruption from him.

At the moment there isn't a single case that has more substance than red propaganda talk

Sutheep, has 2 degrees, how many have you? One of his degrees is from the USA ...... so people with degrees from the USA cant think, must remember that.

Yes one degree in how to be corrupt without being caught and the other one how to lie that everyone including himself believe his lies. This man is even more corrupt than TS and remember he was supposed to be charged with murder before these protest. The end game will be either a coup organised by his paymasters or the murder charges will disappear with the protest. The goal of these protest is self interest and not democracy.

• Like 1

Suthep is one of the most corrupt politicians himself, you only have to look at his past and all allegations that have been levelled against him and that are proven. In comparison with Thaksin, Suthep is the devil.

Suthep is there not for Thailand, but Suthep is here for Suthep What Suthep does not say is that his party passed over 20 amnesties himself and that Suthep was one of the main beneficiaries of the amnesty. That's a problem now. Not only will Suthep end up in jail for order mass murder on bangkok's streets, using snipers to shoot ion protesters and the army instead of riot police for crowd control. Mister Suthep will go to jail for telling a mob to trespass onto government property and for demanding a coup.

Agreed, Thailand is a banana republic (avoid the other word) so the newspapers are supportive of people who rape democracy so what both English language newspapers are hoping for is a putsch followed by a appointed rubberstamp parliament (just like the appointed senators) and kingmaker Suthep in power so he can pass his own amnesty bill to protect the military and to protect Suthep and his shoeshine boy Abhisit.

There is just one problem. This time the rural people will come to Bangkok and they will probably fight the establishment with real weapons and it is all on Suthep and his yellow friends.

"Regardless of Suthep's plan or non-plan, there is one thing the protesters have expressed clearly: they do not accept cheating, corruption, conflict of interest or abuse of power."

This seems to be an oxymoron. When Suthep was then, Minister of Agriculture and Deputy Prime Minister, he cheated, corrupted and totally flounted a similar system he is now fighting against. These Thai politicians never cease to amaze me.

When and how....I would recommend you sue him if you know about any corruption from him.

At the moment there isn't a single case that has more substance than red propaganda talk

I think you need to do some basic research into K Suthep which will quickly show you what charges of corruption have been levelled against him over the past few decades. Look into the handing out of land titles in Phuket.To think he is a cleanskin or any better than the current mob is the stuff of fantasy. And this all happened well before the red shirt movement even existed!!!

I think his strategy is plainly going for broke.

Chances that any anti-government movement will have as much momentum and people power as we have witnessed these past few weeks is far and few so he's going for a topple.

As for his agenda we'll never know for sure but I have to hand it to him that he's taking a lot of risks both physically and politically. Suthep doesn't have to step up to the plate to bat. He could just stay comfortable in the backdrop like what Korn and Abhisit are doing but he's leading the charge as a big bullseye for the opposition. The guys got balls.

He said its either him or his rival that will have to go.

I heard the police are already planning to make sure he goes.

• Like 1

I think you need to do some basic research into K Suthep which will quickly show you what charges of corruption have been levelled against him over the past few decades. Look into the handing out of land titles in Phuket.To think he is a cleanskin or any better than the current mob is the stuff of fantasy. And this all happened well before the red shirt movement even existed!!!

We looked at the land titles on another topic just a couple of days ago.

It would seem that 11 out of the 470 odd titles were given to families with money, how disgusting.

All the titles went to those who had a history of occupation of the titles given to them.

And of course he has a BS murder charge leveled against him which the amnesty bill would have made it impossible for him to defend.

If that charge ever gets to court then his defense will incriminate the red leaders to the extent they will have nowhere to hide.

As he says, bring it on and we will see who is guilty.

• Like 1

Sorry, but in a democracy, putsches are not allowed. Here are the international rules for democracies :

1. When you have an election, the party with the most votes wins.

2. The loser has to accept the results until the next election.

Any questions?:)

Well at least Suthep is insisting that all anti-government protests remain peaceful, as opposed to inciting hatred and instructing them to burn down the city.

What does the reporter see as the way forward ... that Suthep should simply go back home in the hope that Yingluck will eventually resign? The problem is that Mr. T is not yet done with his hold on this country, and I'm sure he has more tricks up his sleeve to hold tightly on to power, indeed, to assume a 'presidential' mantle.

I tend to think that Suthep's desire to see the complete Shin clan ousted has been well considered, since he is aware of the danger of allowing the government (Mr. T) to regroup. Whilst the anti-government movement has the upper hand, it should use its might to oust them all, as this needs to be brought to an end, otherwise this nation is going to sink.

I am quietly hoping that Yingluck demonstrates her ineptitude in the censure debate, potential impeachment and potential snap election, so that those that are as yet undecided can see once and for all that she is not fit for purpose, and merely a puppet of the fugitive criminal.

• Like 1

In terms of describing Suthep and his followers there has been much discussion on the appropriate designation.The following currently seems to be the most favoured:

Committee of Really Educate Thais Intent on Nailing Shinawatras.

Sorry, but in a democracy, putsches are not allowed. Here are the international rules for democracies :

Any questions?smile.png

Well at least Suthep is insisting that all anti-government protests remain peaceful, as opposed to inciting hatred and instructing them to burn down the city.

What does the reporter see as the way forward ... that Suthep should simply go back home in the hope that Yingluck will eventually resign? The problem is that Mr. T is not yet done with his hold on this country, and I'm sure he has more tricks up his sleeve to hold tightly on to power, indeed, to assume a 'presidential' mantle.

I tend to think that Suthep's desire to see the complete Shin clan ousted has been well considered, since he is aware of the danger of allowing the government (Mr. T) to regroup. Whilst the anti-government movement has the upper hand, it should use its might to oust them all, as this needs to be brought to an end, otherwise this nation is going to sink.

I am quietly hoping that Yingluck demonstrates her ineptitude in the censure debate, potential impeachment and potential snap election, so that those that are as yet undecided can see once and for all that she is not fit for purpose, and merely a puppet of the fugitive criminal.

You left one out: When the government throws rule of law out the window and abuses their authority (do I really need to elaborate?) all bets are off. Democracy is a social contract, it only works when everyone respects the rules, and it rarely works where governance is weak.

I know many people like to believe that winning an election entitles a political party to do whatever it likes, but this is not the case.

• Like 1

Any questions?smile.png

Actually, the party with the most votes doesn't always win.

It's the coalition with the most votes (or seats) that wins.