I will be fired soon. How can I protect myself?

You can find the Thai Labour Protection Act (in English) here:

http://www.labour.go.th/en/index.php/2011-04-07-10-49-49/18-2011-05-04-15-52-28

There used to be a synthetic document (2 pages), I cannot find it at the moment.

The law will be on your side, don't hold out on a visa run to come back and claim your rights.

You will get your severance pay.

Good luck

Edited by metaben

Thank you! And thanks to everybody again!

You can find the Thai Labour Protection Act (in English) here:

http://www.labour.go.th/en/index.php/2011-04-07-10-49-49/18-2011-05-04-15-52-28

There used to be a synthetic document (2 pages), I cannot find it at the moment.

The law will be on your side, don't hold out on a visa run to come back and claim your rights.

You will get your severance pay.

Good luck

But what they have to do and what they do could be two different things here. I find that paper does not mean much to them. Also be aware that if you do continue working, you will need to show taxes deducted and paid from your salary of "50,000 Baht" a month, in order to get a further extension. Whether your salary is the amount required for hotel management jobs, or in fact less.

Check all the items and sub items listed in the contract, it may be worded to allow them to get out of it,with clause number ####. ie: if you are let go due to whatever, the salad was soggy, no compensation will be paid.

Not meant to be a negative reply, as I was also employed as a resort manager and Korat Immigration and my boss both knew before I did that no taxes had been paid on my behalf and I would not get an extension. Nice way to let me leave, negating my Non B visa.

You can't have ever renewed your WP then. In fact did you ever even have a work permit? If you have evidence that tax was being deducted from your salary but not being paid to the Revenue Dept then how did you know that the taxes hadn't been paid? Sounds more like you were working cash in hand knowingly avoiding taxes I wouldn't mind betting that you were hired by the company,got your non B then worked without a WP not paying income tax then got terminated. Am I correct? Sounds like karma to me. Surely if you were good at your job and treated people with respect your employer would have a good incentive to keep you here and get your WP organised for you Your assertion that paper doesn't mean much to "Them" is rediculous and incorrect. Severence pay is a matter of law in Thailand and there is nothing that an employer can write in a contract that gets them of the hook for it regardless of employee nationality. In the one case in my last 20 years here that my employer tried to avoid paying severence pay one phone call to the Dept of Labour solved the problem very quickly. At least for a reasonable sum of money the OP should get legal advice and if he is on the right side of the law then I feel confident that justice will prevail. However if you are no good at your job and treat the Thais disrespectfully then nobody will help you and karma will prevail

Edited by kruangfaifar

As I wrote it earlier already: I have a work permit. Read it back mate!

But what they have to do and what they do could be two different things here. I find that paper does not mean much to them. Also be aware that if you do continue working, you will need to show taxes deducted and paid from your salary of "50,000 Baht" a month, in order to get a further extension. Whether your salary is the amount required for hotel management jobs, or in fact less.

Check all the items and sub items listed in the contract, it may be worded to allow them to get out of it,with clause number ####. ie: if you are let go due to whatever, the salad was soggy, no compensation will be paid.

Not meant to be a negative reply, as I was also employed as a resort manager and Korat Immigration and my boss both knew before I did that no taxes had been paid on my behalf and I would not get an extension. Nice way to let me leave, negating my Non B visa.

You can't have ever renewed your WP then. In fact did you ever even have a work permit? If you have evidence that tax was being deducted from your salary but not being paid to the Revenue Dept then how did you know that the taxes hadn't been paid? Sounds more like you were working cash in hand knowingly avoiding taxes I wouldn't mind betting that you were hired by the company,got your non B then worked without a WP not paying income tax then got terminated. Am I correct? Sounds like karma to me. Surely if you were good at your job and treated people with respect your employer would have a good incentive to keep you here and get your WP organised for you Your assertion that paper doesn't mean much to "Them" is rediculous and incorrect. Severence pay is a matter of law in Thailand and there is nothing that an employer can write in a contract that gets them of the hook for it regardless of employee nationality. In the one case in my last 20 years here that my employer tried to avoid paying severence pay one phone call to the Dept of Labour solved the problem very quickly. At least for a reasonable sum of money the OP should get legal advice and if he is on the right side of the law then I feel confident that justice will prevail. However if you are no good at your job and treat the Thais disrespectfully then nobody will help you and karma will prevail

As I wrote it earlier already: I have a work permit. Read it back mate!

My comment is directed to Colabamumbai not you mate!