23 countries now warn citizens on travels to Thailand

webfact

Don't these protesters have jobs?

Funny I was thinking the same...

anything not to work!...

and when all of this is all over..no matter who prevails....these people will go back to their ho hum lives and realize that nothing, absolutely nothing has or will change in their own little worlds

It's clear which side of the fence you are on... perhaps it's their "ho hum" lives and all that means that is behind everything.

Have a look at the GDP / HDI gap and you'll see that Thailand is pretty much number one for that as well.

I'm not on any side of the fence!...Just making a point as it doesn't matter who comes out ahead of this thing...Corruption will prevail on any side..yellow, red, whatever...Answer me this...after things go back to "NORMAL", do you really believe that anyones life other than the few who have all the money and are truly pushing all the buttons, is going to change....the middle class will stay the same..not getting wealthy and just surviving with their day to day jobs...the farmers will still farm, the poor will remain poor...and no one gets better...then when people get bored enough, some "great leader" will call for another protest and the cattle will follow thinking that they are accomplishing something....just a vicious cycle

On TV twitter it says "Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000:"

So where are the cheap tickets that should be available for all these newly vacant plane seats?

As many of us long timers know, Thais will tend to increase prices when demand for their product/service drops. Surely it's an ingenious concept that only the Thais have figured out how to make work.

• Like 1

FWIW, I think people are being a bit naive about the situation. Sure, you might not get hit by a bullet, or trampled by a mob, but as the protests go on longer, and the city becomes more dysfunctional, you could find yourself an unlikely victim as a result of a complication of the protests.

Don't these protesters have jobs?

Yes. Their job is to get the corrupt government out ASAP.

And replace it with another bunch of corrupt buffoons

All countries have issues with their elected... When people realize that they have the power and that Governments are the servants, then things may change...

Never gonna' happen. Politicians have discovered the secret of buying off voters. It's now the MOST corrupt, MOST unscrupulous, MOST "liberal" (as in 'big spender') politician who has the advantage in any election, anywhere "free" elections are held. Voters can't resist the siren song of free stuff & entitlement. No, the power lies with the purse, not the people. And this is what's now infected Thailand (not that Thailand is by any means alone; they're just relatively late to the party). Edited by hawker9000

A while ago... my staff asked me for a day off so they could go join a local red shirt demonstration. Apparently, the organizers went around giving out fliers all along the main road to every business offering THB500/day to people just to turn up and wear a t-shirt, THB1,000 to walk at the front carrying a stick 'looking menacing', and THB1,500 to actually get involved in any violence.

Anyone who's lived in Thailand at grass roots level knows whats going on here. Its simply whoever is in power(or who wants to be in power) looking for some paid for protesters to do their dirty work.

If the money offered to do the protesting is more than the the common man's daily rate - then off they go, and it'll be a slow day at the office :-)

For in the end, no one in Thailand really gives a sh1t about what poplitical entity is in power - the red shirts, the yellow shirts, or (in WW2) the Japanese. Its all the same. Criminals and fools vying for power somewhere in the sky above, far away from where the commoner lives. Life goes on the same, regardless, and doesn't change that much which ever curupt clown is at the helm. TIT.coffee1.gif

Consider...

“Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

• Like 1

Been working at two 5-star riverside hotels today. One of them is receiving a steady flow of postponements and/or cancellations and the other has lost 300+ room nights (from cancellations) in the past 48 hours alone.

This 'situation' is having direct effects on the high-end tourism.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder why the Yellow Shirts always start these protests with the beginning of the high season?... Just like 5 years ago, when they occupied the airports... Maybe they just don't like foreigners?...

BTW, isn't this Suthep the same Suthep who made some vaguely xenophobic comments a few years ago, when he was a member of the government...? I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what he said, but I'm sure other TV members do.....

And what was it about that German photojournalist who was assaulted at one of these rallies, a few days ago?........

no need for warnings its not angola..its peaceful as everyone knows.its in bangkok where it takes a lifetime to get anywhere anyway ,with or without a protest going on..i dont think tourists are that bothered more curious i would have thought..

Yes, they just need to be told to duck when the shooting starts.

some idiots will get right in the middle of the protests and just "look around" I have already seen two femaile fat bodies waddling among the protesters!

• Like 1

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations in Thailand

Domestic political activists in Thailand are holding large demonstrations at several sites throughout Bangkok and at government facilities in several provinces. These demonstrations may continue in the coming days, including at several government locations in areas outside of Central Bangkok.

The Thai Internal Security Act (ISA), which allows authorities to close roads, make arrests, and take action against any security threats, is currently in force in Bangkok and some areas of surrounding provinces.

In preparation for these activities, the Thai government has increased the police presence around government buildings and in other locations. Significant traffic delays are expected in these areas; please plan travel accordingly.

Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.