Roast Beef

212traders

OP.... questions like this get asked quite often, so can I suggest:

1. Put our tin hat on, cos there'll be a barrage of exasperated answers.

2. (More usefully), take a look back through the old threads: there is a wealth of useful information in there to help you

The only place I have noticed beef on sale is in Rimping near Airport Plaza...not sure of the price, but doubt that it will be cheap. Decent beef will be imported, so unless you have sharp teeth and fancy biting buffalo, be prepared to pay!

Good luck,

I went to Rimping at the Airport and bought a Silverside cut which was around 650 - 750 per kilo (many cuts available) went home and let it go in the oven for hours until it was falling apart - lovely bit of beef.

I am sure you will get a decent cut there to cook your roast

• Like 1

I went to Rimping at the Airport and bought a Silverside cut which was around 650 - 750 per kilo (many cuts available) went home and let it go in the oven for hours until it was falling apart - lovely bit of beef.

I am looking for roast beef that's already cooked. Ready to use.

Thanks.

Kiwi fruit is a good tenderiser.

Making the Papaya Meat Tenderizer

All you need to make your own meat tenderizer at home is one medium-sized papaya fruit and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Rinse the papaya under warm water, then cut into the papaya about ¼" deep and peel off the skin. You should be left with a slightly soft, fleshy fruit.

Chop the papaya fruit into small cubes and place it in a small bowl. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt, and then mash the papaya with a fork or the back of a spoon. You want to make a thick paste, so keep mixing until all the lumps are out of the mixture. You will need about one tablespoon of papaya mixture or every half pound of meat (all types).

Tenderizing Meat with Papaya

After you're prepared your meat tenderizer, you will need to activate the enzymes. This requires heating the meat to at least 140 °F, so all you need to do is heat the meat with the tenderizer on the stove, or in the oven. Different types of meat require different heating times, but you want to raise the temperature to no more than 160 °F or the tenderizer will become inactive. According to EnzymeDevelopment.com, Papain becomes completely inactive at a temperature range of 170-185 degrees Fahrenheit.

Check the temperature regularly when cooking the meat using your preferred method so you don't burn the meat, or lose the effects of the tenderizer.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-papaya-as-meat-tenderizer-3470371.html?cat=22

^ Sounds awfully complicated.

Kiwifruit contains an enzyme that helps to tenderise meat. Just pop a kiwifruit into a food processor or blender, and puree. Use the puree to coat both sides of your steak. Cover and refrigerate the steak for three hours, brush off the kiwifruit and then place the steak straight onto the grill or barbecue.
  • Like 1

I had a recipe for making Silverside (from scratch) can't find it at the moment but if you go through GOOGLE I'm sure you'll find it.

When I say "from scratch" I of course, don't mean you have to go kill the cow yourself.....you buy the beef and then pickle it.

Edited by Torrens54

you get what you pay for. Real proper beef is almost impossible to get here and 1500 a kilo is cheap if its the real thing. Ive paid triple that in BKK but usually can't afford it. Good Anges roast beef in UK is around 18 gbp a pound or around 2000 baht a kilo

I love meat, especially roast beef. Recently I went to the newly opened Central Festival Plaza to check out their roast beef price. I was shocked to see that it was sold at more than 1500 Bahts per kilo. Can anyone recommend a better market to buy roast beef?[/quote

you love meat? and you're in thailand? did you take a wrong turn.........

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

650-750 baht a kilo! Is it imported beef?

Down south I pay 240 a kilo for beef and veal. Most of the time I manage to find a decent lump.

I poke slivers of garlic into the beef and roast it until it's just shy of medium rare.

I had a recipe for making Silverside (from scratch) can't find it at the moment but if you go through GOOGLE I'm sure you'll find it.

When I say "from scratch" I of course, don't mean you have to go kill the cow yourself.....you buy the beef and then pickle it.

How do you get to answer a post about ROAST beef with a post about PICKLING beef?..facepalm.gif

"Real proper beef is almost impossible to get here”

Not entirely true.

It depends where you live.

I live in the centre of Thailand's dairy industry. Holstein Friesians are the local breed.

We buy excellent beef at 230 Bht a kilo from the local market.

The secret is in ageing the beef.

This is done almost as a matter of course in Northern Europe, but almost never in Thailand.

Ideally you need to buy a whole carcass, but since that would involve having a commercial cold room, it is not very practical.

What I do is to buy a large lump about 4 or 5 kg and put it in the fridge, uncovered, for at least 6 days, if not longer. Turn it every 2 days, to allow the air to circulate.

As the muscle fibres rest and enzymes in the meat do their work the beef develops flavour and becomes increasingly tender.

More details here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging

• Like 2

you get what you pay for. Real proper beef is almost impossible to get here and 1500 a kilo is cheap if its the real thing. Ive paid triple that in BKK but usually can't afford it. Good Anges roast beef in UK is around 18 gbp a pound or around 2000 baht a kilo

At what point does the cow become improper?

"in the oven for hours u

ntil it was falling apart"....................that shouldn't happen to good roast beef. You obviously don't know the wonders of medium rare roast beef.......maybe your British??

We forgive you.....

You got that wrong. Us Brits like it pretty rare.

i have never heard of anges roast beef unless thats the name of her shop.

its seems that you havent tried hard enough to find good beef.

get yourself some beef from the pon-yang-kham livestock breeding co-op.

better than any imported at around sirloin/striploin@ 695kilo.

rib [email protected] sirloin rump ideal for roasting@ 370kilo.

if you google [pon-yang-kham] marbled beef they have outlets all over.

That would be Aberdeen Angus, I would have thought you could work out what he meant.

Where possible I avoid Thai French beef, not the best lets be honest and go for Aus or NZ

"I have never had any Thai beef that is nearly as good as good imported beef"

I refer you all to the answer I gave some time ago. The Thai beef I buy here in Thailand from the local Thai market is every bit as good as the beef I used to buy in the UK ( I spent nearly thirty years in catering so I know what I am talking about) the key is in the ageing of the meat. See my previous post.

if you are expecting to buy good beef from a Bangkok or Tourist ghetto supermarket in a nice plastic tray (incontinence nappy included) then you are going to be disappointed.

Real food takes skill, knowledge, time and effort.

That would be Aberdeen Angus, I would have thought you could work out what he meant.

Where possible I avoid Thai French beef, not the best lets be honest and go for Aus or NZ

yes i know what he meant i was just being a bit sacastic,a lot of outlets sell so called thai french beef but if it doesnt have the

pan-yang-kham stamp on it ,its not theirs.i have tried the aus.beef which is not as good but almost double the price 1200bht kilo

also i used to buy rib eye from tops at 425bht.kilo it cooked well as steak or as a joint but not as tasty.

i do miss my welsh lamb.