Phuket Honorary Consul reports violent abuse, intimidation by taxi drivers

Lite Beer

Phuket Honorary Consul reports violent abuse, intimidation by taxi drivers
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_20131128175022144_INkfPOyyZol

Irish Honorary Consul Helene Fallon-Wood told Governor Maitri how she was abused and intimidated by taxi drivers at a Rawai resort. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: The Honorary Consul of Ireland this week revealed to the Phuket Governor how she was threatened and intimidated at a resort in Rawai, where taxi drivers refused to let her leave after picking up a friend and her children.

The news came at Governor Maitri Inthusut’s quarterly meeting with Phuket’s honorary consuls at Phuket Provincial Hall on Tuesday.

“I went to pick my friend and her children, but the taxi drivers in front of the resort did not allow us to leave,” Honorary Consul Helene Fallon-Wood told Governor Maitri.

“They insisted that I leave my friends there and that my friend and her children must take a taxi to leave the resort. The drivers surrounded my car. They shouted and kicked my tyres,” she said.

“Finally, I drove out of the resort, but carefully to avoid hitting them,’ she added.

Ms Fallon-Wood explained to Governor Maitri that this was not the first time she had encountered abuse and intimidation from taxi drivers at the resort.

“I always have a problem with taxi drivers every time I pick up friends at that resort,” she said.

Governor Maitri acknowledged that such violent behavior by taxi drivers had become common in Phuket.

“That problem has been happening for a long time. It might take us some time to fix, but we are now working on resolving that issue,” Governor Maitri said.

Regarding the Irish honorary consul’s ongoing predicament, Governor Maitri offered, “If you can recognize their faces, or if you face this situation again, please call me or police.”

Thanking the governor for his pledge to help, Ms Fallon-Wood noted, “The Phuket Police would be very busy if we called them every time this happened.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Honorary-Consul-reports-violent-abuse-intimidation-by-taxi-drivers-22894.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-28

anyone owning or renting a car in Phuket should install a video camera to catch such events on the record. there's no excuse in this day & age, and *might* help to clear the problem up! (maybe)

But that wouldn't change anything...everyone know is since a long time and everyone knows the persons.

It's just a matter of time before some industrious farangs expose these thugs by making a documentary on all the taxi tuk tuk scams and threatening, violent behavior. Hidden cameras and mics on tourists as they come through the airport, negotiate a fair on Bangla Rd at 2am, try to pick friends up at a hotel, and one brave female volunteer can pile into a tuk tuk pretending to be drunk and see what happens next. The farangs would of course be charged with "making a video with the intent to damage the image of Thailand" like the Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand guys did. But I predict this will happen. It's just to good a story not to tell.

Excellent idea!!! thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

@bender92. I don't want to be a moralist, but.... comments on the skin color from us, people living in a melting pot?

@keester Your comment not politically correct, too, but in your case I'd be more flexible, ok, she may deserve an honorary title

Edited by primapagina

She don't look Irish.

Just what should she look like?

costume-female-leprechaun.jpg

Keesters,

Your screen name resembles mine too much. You risk being confused with me. Most of my posts are obvious trolling attempts. I say attempts, because a good trolling post should be subtle, not instantly recognizable as such. Sadly in my case, the intelligence is lacking for doing it that way.

Sorry for going off topic.

This kind of intimidation and harrassment won't stop until the resort and hotel owners employ their own security to throw these thugs off the premises.

Not holding my breath waiting for "Thainess" and unwillingness to rock the balance of mafia driven practices to happen!

• Like 1

Quote: "Regarding the Irish honorary consul’s ongoing predicament, Governor Maitri offered, “If you can recognize their faces, or if you face this situation again, please call me or police.”

I'm afraid this just goes to show what sort of people we have in charge running the island. This is a problem which has been ongoing for years and this is the best that this buffoon can offer.

Too much corruption/graft involved, some of which eventually finds its way up to the top, so why would he want to put a stop to his income.

This response is absolutely disgusting/ridiculous and beyond belief, but then again "TIT", so what can you expect.

She don't look Irish.

A honorary consul doesn't have to be a national of the country he/she represents. The honorary consul for Austria in Phuket is a Thai guy who doesn't speak German.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 2

Quote: "Regarding the Irish honorary consul’s ongoing predicament, Governor Maitri offered, “If you can recognize their faces, or if you face this situation again, please call me or police.”

I'm afraid this just goes to show what sort of people we have in charge running the island. This is a problem which has been ongoing for years and this is the best that this buffoon can offer.

Too much corruption/graft involved, some of which eventually finds its way up to the top, so why would he want to put a stop to his income.

This response is absolutely disgusting/ridiculous and beyond belief, but then again "TIT", so what can you expect.

"but then again TIT" - don't you mean, "TIP?" (This Is Phuket)

24/7, thousands of tourists, locals and expats, are being transported around for 10 baht a jouney, up in Pattaya, on a great "baht bus" system.

This BS is only happening on Phuket.

@keester Your comment not politically correct, too, but in your case I'd be more flexible, ok, she may deserve an honorary title

I did not make a comment I asked a question and gave a humorous answer. You obviously missed the sarcasm and my attempt to ridicule the poster who said she didn't look Irish. I do not see where "honorary title" has anything to do with what I posted.