Information on Protest Sites

Scott

Victory Monument is beginning to get all messd up.

Edit:

OK< sorry everyone. Looks like they were 4 or 5 ambulances that had blocked the road for a while. I just saw them drive away. Traffic will take a while to clear up. The ambulances are now stuck in traffic going southbound.

Edited by taony

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be arriving on Wednesday and need to travel from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Don Muang. What is the best way?? airport link to Makasan then cab??

Ask on Tuesday for most cost effective. Situation is too fluid.

Most reliable: Get an AOT limo. They'll know better than anyone how to do it. But it will cost more. (Still, it won't bankrupt you)

Edited by impulse

What time is the curfew tonight? Last night was 11pm, can't find anything online

Skytrain, subway & airport rail link will operate until 9pm tonight. Curfew starts at 10pm. Trains will resume tomorrow at 6am

Source: Richard Barrow twitter. (He has the most up to date info I'm finding).

His map is also still a good resource: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210550963008557722983.0004ea041241da07d86cb&msa=0&ll=13.746117,100.538807&spn=0.018259,0.027874&iwloc=0004ec3a7c798569775f3

Edited by impulse

VM is very quiet now. People left after it got dark and traffic is moving smoothly now. Very light. I can't see the entire place so there may be still soldiers and protesters there, but for the most part its over. I read on twitter that their plan was to stay until 6PM, they stayed a bit longer, but seem to have kept to the plan to break until tomorrow.

Will be arriving on Wednesday and need to travel from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Don Muang. What is the best way?? airport link to Makasan then cab??

Thanks

Check on Tuesday is a good idea. But from what I understand the transfer bus between the two airports is running despite and during the curfew.

• Like 1

An off-topic post has been deleted. This particular thread is for information on Protest sites. There are numerous other threads to ask questions and make general comments.

Although it appears that the protest sites have been cleared out, we will keep this topic open for a time since there is the anti-coup group and there may be further need for updates.

Chaeng Wattana Update

It is completely cleared in both directions.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I drove there around lunch time yesterday. Obvious military presence but the main bridges were still closed.

Good to know, thank you.

BTS stations are closed down at Chit Lom and Ploen Chit. Not sure about Siam. Walkways were being closed off as I was leaving and several 2.5 ton trucks with troops were pulling up. Not sure what the reason is. This was at 1:30 pm, May 25th.

just read on twiiter the stations are back open, but that's twitter, so take it with a grain of salt.

Right now lots of traffic at Victory Monument. North-south access seems to be cut off, maybe because people have started to show up and are back in the southern part where they tend to go. No backup northbound going into VM yet though. South bound very backed up as well as leaving VM eastbound. Traffic cops are letting traffic go along the northern part of the circle (against the normal flow), which is ok, but causing a bit of chaos at times. Traffic that can slowly make its way out of VM northbound is flowing once it gets there. Westbound out of VM I can't really tell except that cars coming from the south are still slowly entering towards that way.

Can see right now that the trains are not stopping at Victory Monument.

North bound traffic towards VM is closed at Phayathai intersection (at Attutaya road). My friend told me she was just driving home and southbound Phaholyothin was closed from Saphan Kwai to Soi 2. I still see sporadic traffic coming south, but maybe they are entering from intermediary points

Chaeng Wattana Update

It is completely cleared in both directions.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I drove there around lunch time yesterday. Obvious military presence but the main bridges were still closed.

Good to know, thank you.

Yes, yesterday morning they were still clearing parts of the site but yesterday at 14:30 I rode from Laksi to Pak Kret and I was flat out (only a 125) the whole way. I couldn't see if they were still clearing under the overpass but all overpasses were open.

Victory Monument looks to be completely shut to traffic now. My friend is stuck southbound into it, no traffic from the south. Just a few rot doo and buses left inside now. Its a madhouse from Phayathai north. Phayathai , VM, Sanam Pao BTS not stopping.

Just like yesterday, its clearing up real fast. Only northbound still blocked as the soldiers leave. BTS still not stopping, but should soon. Sri Ayuthaya road eastbound still completely jammed. Westbound only slightly better.

edit: changed south to northbound above. But now its open and BTS is stopping again.

Edited by taony

Just in case anyone was unaware and is starting their commute home... all roads to Victory Monument are closed. I'm not sure about the Victory Monument BTS station but the elevated walkways around Victory Monument have been closed by soldiers.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone was unaware and is starting their commute home... all roads to Victory Monument are closed. I'm not sure about the Victory Monument BTS station but the elevated walkways around Victory Monument have been closed by soldiers.

Is this just in the evening?

We stayed in a hotel in Ratchawithi 3 opposite Santiphap park last week and we had problems getting there as taxis were having problems and we eneded up getting BTS to Sanam Pao as Victory was closed and a tuk tuk from there. I believe Sanam Pao and Phaya Thai were closed at some point as well.Once there and during the day there wasn't a problem until my wife had to take a motorcycle taxi at about 4:30 to get back from a meeting.

We're back there again this weekend so I'm wondering if the situation is still the same.

We stayed in a hotel in Ratchawithi 3 opposite Santiphap park last week and we had problems getting there as taxis were having problems and we eneded up getting BTS to Sanam Pao as Victory was closed and a tuk tuk from there. I believe Sanam Pao and Phaya Thai were closed at some point as well.Once there and during the day there wasn't a problem until my wife had to take a motorcycle taxi at about 4:30 to get back from a meeting.

We're back there again this weekend so I'm wondering if the situation is still the same.

The situation is very labile and constantly changing but if I were you I would avoid the Victory Monument, Democracy Monument, Sanam Luang and Ratchaprasong areas if possible as these are prime sites for demonstrations which in turn these days lead to military blockades (and resulting traffic jams on the surrounding roads).

• Like 2

Soi 3 is closed to through traffic now and likely will be whenever they expect protestors in the Victory Monument area. I would find a different area to stay. Things aren't violent and the soldiers are unarmed during the daytime but the situation is changing rapidly, the area is palpably tense, and the military has stated with will progressively apply more pressure on the protestors.

Soi 3 is closed to through traffic now and likely will be whenever they expect protestors in the Victory Monument area. I would find a different area to stay. Things aren't violent and the soldiers are unarmed during the daytime but the situation is changing rapidly, the area is palpably tense, and the military has stated with will progressively apply more pressure on the protestors.

OK thanks. We've booked the hotel but if the protests are mainly in the early evening we should be OK. We won't need to go out if there's problems.

Announcement on the BTS: trains will not stop at Ploen Chit, Chit Lom and Ratchadamri "due to over- crowding". 10:55 AM ; Sunday, June 1, 2014.

Subway (MRT) will not stop at Pahon Yothin.

Edited by lomatopo

A few days ago, a co-worker of my wife wanted to take the ARL to Phyathai Station after work to go home, but was refused a ticket at around 6 pm or so and told he wouldn't be allowed to go there. I gather, that was one of the days where there was a protest attempted in the evening around Victory Monument area. I don't know whether that's still the case today. But obviously, ARL is getting impacted by this as well at some times.

BTS not stopping at Ploenchit or Chidlom. Central World closed but other malls open. No sign or Army or protests in the area as of 12:20 PM. Lots of Police trucks at Victory Monument but no protests at this time.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app