Miserable farangs.........

SimonF

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one come around again so soon.....oh well!

If the OP wants more and varied answers just do a search, this has been done to death, but hey," play it again Sam"

Charlie H, have to note that I've always liked your profile image of JLP with head in hand and the accompanying "quote". Oft it is strikingly close to the topic at hand. This time..., perhaps more so than others in recent memory.

Back to my happiness in LOS

Edited by AlphMichaels

If the OP wants more and varied answers just do a search, this has been done to death, but hey," play it again Sam"

Perhaps you didn't notice I've only posted 22 times on here? You didn't write "wait until you've been here 20 years" but your comment was more or less the same thing.....

Well, there's your problem, then. You're not just a newbie on Thaivisa, you're apparently a newbie to web forums, where any idiot knows that he should spend some time reading the forum and seeing what topics have been done to death already, so as, you know, not to prematurely post on something that's been discussed 1,000 times already, so you don't look like even more of an idiot.

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 1

If people thought about the adage - "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man with no feet" then maybe they would stop feeling miserable.

Have you tried that with much success? Gone up to the old chaps with the down-turned mouths with that little gem of wisdom? Did it cheer them up? Personally, I am rarely cheered up by thinking of the misery of others. Perhaps a more suitable recommendation would be "I cried because I had no shoes, until I brought back to mind Gavin Hastings' penalty goal in the fourth minute of the 1990 Calcutta Cup". Actually, I feel cheerier already!

SC

If people thought about the adage - "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man with no feet" then maybe they would stop feeling miserable.

Have you tried that with much success? Gone up to the old chaps with the down-turned mouths with that little gem of wisdom? Did it cheer them up? Personally, I am rarely cheered up by thinking of the misery of others. Perhaps a more suitable recommendation would be "I cried because I had no shoes, until I brought back to mind Gavin Hastings' penalty goal in the fourth minute of the 1990 Calcutta Cup". Actually, I feel cheerier already!

SC

Well you could add any number of qualifications to what I have written. That doesn’t prevent it from being a genuine “little gem of wisdom.” Are you trying to suggest that somebody making a good score in some sports game is enough to lift somebody up out of depression? The above adage has helped lift me up out of some hard times and others also.

I think it"s age related, many were or are just too old to adapt to a new country.

I think it is travel and experience related. I was around the world twice before i was 20 years of age.

From a young age I realized there were many different ways of doing things. I learned there was no such thing as proper food, proper beer or proper morals. Some people like stinky fish and others like stinky cheese. Some countries citizens smell bad on mass transit and some don't. My parents sent me to college on three different continents so I'd get a broad education. When I did they got upset.

My travels and experiences didn't validate my own culture because I was not trying to judge everything by my own culture. When I saw a beautiful mountain I saw a beautiful mountain not a compared to anything back home. I see the sun rise every morning and wonder at its beauty and don't for a minute compare it to all of the other sunrises I have seen.

• Like 2

Woe is me, thank you for your concern. I didn't know you cared. It's your fault i am miserable, you and everybody else........pour me another and i will tell you a long and boring story.........Hey where are you going, come back here and share the misery.

I'm a little disappointed that no-one has actually answered the OP's post. It's lovely that there are so many people leaping out of the woorwork to boast about how happy they are, and I know a lot of people are doing their best with their condescending explanations of why they think other people are unhappy, but we haven't had any responses from miserable old bar-flies explaining why they don't go home, and perhaps why they are miserable in Thailand.

I know Transam did his best, and at least he's old, but unfortunately he's a bit too cheery and contented to really give a credible opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't know any miserable old men. Perhaps, like rugby union bigots, they exist only in the perception of others; to the best of my knowledge all the people I know will quite happily watch either code, and despite an occasional somber or weary countenance, are actually quite content.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I think it"s age related, many were or are just too old to adapt to a new country.

You young whippersnapper, does that mean you will evolve into an old coot, pass me my geretol and i will tell you how good it used to be......hey get back here, where are you going?

If you're so bored with the topic, why click, read and comment? You can easily move on and not participate.

Perhaps you didn't notice I've only posted 22 times on here? You didn't write "wait until you've been here 20 years" but your comment was more or less the same thing.....

Well, there's your problem, then. You're not just a newbie on Thaivisa, you're apparently a newbie to web forums, where any idiot knows that he should spend some time reading the forum and seeing what topics have been done to death already, so as, you know, not to prematurely post on something that's been discussed 1,000 times already, so you don't look like even more of an idiot.

If you find the topic has been "done to death," why go to the trouble of reading it and commenting? If you're such a forum aficionado you should realize by now that it's inevitable that certain topics will appear over and over again? Why torture yourself by complaining about it? Just move on to a topic that interests you .... or do you just like to complain?

Edited by HerbalEd

If you're so bored with the topic, why click, read and comment? You can easily move on and not participate.
I think he was encouraging the OP to use the Search function, so that he would benefit not only from our wisdom,but from the sage opinion that so many others have offered on this forum so many times before. It would be great if he had done that, and then revived one of the previous topics, so that all our contributions could be safely gathered into a single thread for the benefit of posterity. Like a Wisden's Almanac of geriatric misery

SC

'Farangs' become miserable in Thailand because;

1. They have no political power and no ones cares about their opinions. If they speak up on an issue they are told to shut up and go back to farang-land.

2. They often pay more taxes than a hundred Thais yet are constantly reminded that the country does not belong to them and owes them nothing.

3. They are divided socially from the bulk of the population and stuck with labels and stereotypes based on race.

4. They are forbidden to work in most jobs, many of which would be more personally meaningful than whatever manner they are employed in.

5. They are (rather more infrequently than purported, IMHO) targeted for scams and hustles based on race. This can leave people bitter.

6. Many of them care about Thailand and want to see it overcome its weaknesses. The total inability to improve Thailand even a modicum is at least frustrating.

7. The visa situation is a constant hassle. They are never able to relax - always looking at their passports counting days till when they have to report or extend or go to Savannakhet.

8. If they complain on Thaivisa.com about 1-7 they are derided as bigots and told they should cultivate the delusion that the problem is their state of mind.

Apathy is not a solution to any of these issues, nor does the inability to change them make them unimportant. They are real problems that face expats in Thailand.

If your solution to these issues to is to not care about them, then you have have sold your dignity for peace of mind. I think you will find that the latter is more transient than the former.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

1. They have no political power and no ones cares about their opinions. If they speak up on an issue they are told to shut up and go back to farang-land.

2. They often pay more taxes than a hundred Thais yet are constantly reminded that the country does not belong to them and owes them nothing.

3. They are divided socially from the bulk of the population and stuck with labels and stereotypes based on race.

4. They are forbidden to work in most jobs, many of which would be more personally meaningful than whatever manner they are employed in.

5. They are (rather more infrequently than purported, IMHO) targeted for scams and hustles based on race. This can leave people bitter.

6. Many of them care about Thailand and want to see it overcome its weaknesses. The total inability to improve Thailand even a modicum is at least frustrating.

7. The visa situation is a constant hassle. They are never able to relax - always looking at their passports counting days till when they have to report or extend or go to Savannakhet.

8. If they complain on Thaivisa.com about 1-7 they are derided as bigots and told they should cultivate the delusion that the problem is their state of mind.

Apathy is not a solution to any of these issues, nor does the inability to change them make them unimportant. They are real problems that face expats in Thailand.

If your solution to these issues to is to not care about them, then you have have sold your dignity for peace of mind. I think you will find that the latter is more transient than the former.

I've been in Thailand a long time and am well aware of it's warts and hassles, and yet I still have peace of mind and my dignity. I personally think how a man chooses to react to adversity speaks volumes about his character. There's no dignity in always being miserable.

Edited by HerbalEd

I think that's mostly the miserable younger fellows, who work themselves up into a lather of self-pity by worrying about things they cannot change. Personally, given the choice between apathy and action, I choose not to fight a losing battle.

SC

I would imagine you don't live in Thailand and base your conclusions on things you read in ThaiVisa.

Because I don't agree with any of what you have said and I live here. I've improved Thailand, have no Visa problems, work whenever I want, no one scams me or tells me to shut up. In fact the big wheels where I live ask me for advice and I'm teaching my fruit/vegetable seller the English names for his products.

But tell me if I am wrong. Maybe you are miserable and live here who knows. I think you would be the first one in this thread.

To answer you first question....because they're miserable people. To answer your 2nd question....I ask the same question all the time. But I'd imagine the answer is the same as the first question.

And l think you will find most of these miserable farangs are Brits. Cannot help being the "whinging pom" as the rest of the world sees them. I have a number of friends who are Brits, who are totally embarrassed about how some of their country men in Thailand behave.

To answer you first question....because they're miserable people. To answer your 2nd question....I ask the same question all the time. But I'd imagine the answer is the same as the first question.

And l think you will find most of these miserable farangs are Brits. Cannot help being the "whinging pom" as the rest of the world sees them. I have a number of friends who are Brits, who are totally embarrassed about how some of their country men in Thailand behave.

cheesy.gif .................................cheesy.gif .....................What a load of tosh. .....................cheesy.gif

Good post – great question.

To me, as long as we are guests in their country, there is a strong “love it or leave it” logic. But – We (some of us) do bring some good here. So it would be nice to get along.

My biggest hit was expectations and education – My dose was when we were robbed in Pattaya our 1st or 2nd month there. It was a lack of education and experience. Still Hand Choppingly miffed 3 years later. Personally I tried to get over that by remembering that people get robbed in NYC also. I do however dream of catching them with my axe …

Next I try not to take it for granted when we do meet genuinely nice hard working people. While I NEVER trust Thais to do electrical work without a dose of concern, I have met plenty of honest folks. When we have gotten screwed, the lack of access to courts (sue them and you’ll have “a problem”) does leave me with the feeling that I will always be outside the circle -- No matter how long we stay.

And lets not confuse “miserable” with “amazed”. Hanging power lines two feet off the ground, scaffolding from a Dr Seuss fable. holes in the sidewalk plenty big enough to swallow Farangs and Elephants. On and on …

Finally – It’s the heat. Spend enough time in the heat and even the guy giving out free baht might just get the grumpy look. If it wasn't for my wife's Jai Di, i'd be in a major heap of trouble ... …

How many "miserable" farang are you actually talking about, do you have some numbers, or are you simply drawing a conclusion from a small number that may post on this forum. You seem to live a charmed life if all you can do is feel miserable enough to actually post this type of comment. I would suggest there are far more miserable Thais, going by the looks on peoples faces in Bangkok, maybe your should put more energy into asking them why they are miserable. As for your use of the word "miserable" I would suggest maybe no many, but there are a lot that see the problems Thailand has, and would like things changed so the Thai people live a better, safer, and less miserable life.

cheesy.gif .................................cheesy.gif .....................What a load of tosh. .....................cheesy.gif

See? Laughingly cheerful. Obviously not competent to give an opinion on why people are miserable.

SC

First, I want to say that I believe most farangs who reside here, come here at retirement age or close to it.

That being said, I have observed many good and generally happy people turn into grumpy, whining ,complaining miserable people when they age beyond 60-70 years old.

Maybe it's hormones or lack of them?

Maybe it is a dissatisfaction of where they are in their life when they know they are getting closer to the end?

Maybe it a matter of realizing they won't do everything with their life they had imagined when they were younger?

Maybe it's a matter of not caring what others think or feel anymore and openly voicing all of the negative thought s and opinions they would have kept to themselves as a younger person.

I do think it is age related and that they would be just as miserable if they stayed in their country of origin.

Good post – great question.
To me, as long as we are guests in their country, there is a strong “love it or leave it” logic. But – We (some of us) do bring some good here. So it would be nice to get along.
My biggest hit was expectations and education – My dose was when we were robbed in Pattaya our 1st or 2nd month there. It was a lack of education and experience. Still Hand Choppingly miffed 3 years later. Personally I tried to get over that by remembering that people get robbed in NYC also. I do however dream of catching them with my axe …
Next I try not to take it for granted when we do meet genuinely nice hard working people. While I NEVER trust Thais to do electrical work without a dose of concern, I have met plenty of honest folks. When we have gotten screwed, the lack of access to courts (sue them and you’ll have “a problem”) does leave me with the feeling that I will always be outside the circle -- No matter how long we stay.
And lets not confuse “miserable” with “amazed”. Hanging power lines two feet off the ground, scaffolding from a Dr Seuss fable. holes in the sidewalk plenty big enough to swallow Farangs and Elephants. On and on …
Finally – It’s the heat. Spend enough time in the heat and even the guy giving out free baht might just get the grumpy look. If it wasn't for my wife's Jai Di, i'd be in a major heap of trouble ... …

So, are you miserable or just practicing your whinging skills? I heard the first one gets a prize.