Miserable farangs.........

SimonF

I'm a little disappointed that no-one has actually answered the OP's post. It's lovely that there are so many people leaping out of the woorwork to boast about how happy they are, and I know a lot of people are doing their best with their condescending explanations of why they think other people are unhappy, but we haven't had any responses from miserable old bar-flies explaining why they don't go home, and perhaps why they are miserable in Thailand.

I know Transam did his best, and at least he's old, but unfortunately he's a bit too cheery and contented to really give a credible opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't know any miserable old men. Perhaps, like rugby union bigots, they exist only in the perception of others; to the best of my knowledge all the people I know will quite happily watch either code, and despite an occasional somber or weary countenance, are actually quite content.

SC

Mmm..the OP didn't actually say "miserable old men," he said "miserable farangs." Be buggered how "miserable old men" becomes an issue, misery does not distinguish between ages.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a little disappointed that no-one has actually answered the OP's post. It's lovely that there are so many people leaping out of the woorwork to boast about how happy they are, and I know a lot of people are doing their best with their condescending explanations of why they think other people are unhappy, but we haven't had any responses from miserable old bar-flies explaining why they don't go home, and perhaps why they are miserable in Thailand.

I know Transam did his best, and at least he's old, but unfortunately he's a bit too cheery and contented to really give a credible opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't know any miserable old men. Perhaps, like rugby union bigots, they exist only in the perception of others; to the best of my knowledge all the people I know will quite happily watch either code, and despite an occasional somber or weary countenance, are actually quite content.

SC

Mmm..the OP didn't actually say "miserable old men," he said "miserable farangs." Be buggered how "miserable old men" becomes an issue, misery does not distinguish between ages.

It's because of the elevators (lifts). Everyone knows the elevators don't work but the young guys don't mind the 10 story walk to jump off of the buildings. The old guys look at the, "Elevator No Work" sign and just go back and have another beer.

'Farangs' become miserable in Thailand because;

1. They have no political power and no ones cares about their opinions. If they speak up on an issue they are told to shut up and go back to farang-land.

2. They often pay more taxes than a hundred Thais yet are constantly reminded that the country does not belong to them and owes them nothing.

3. They are divided socially from the bulk of the population and stuck with labels and stereotypes based on race.

4. They are forbidden to work in most jobs, many of which would be more personally meaningful than whatever manner they are employed in.

5. They are (rather more infrequently than purported, IMHO) targeted for scams and hustles based on race. This can leave people bitter.

6. Many of them care about Thailand and want to see it overcome its weaknesses. The total inability to improve Thailand even a modicum is at least frustrating.

7. The visa situation is a constant hassle. They are never able to relax - always looking at their passports counting days till when they have to report or extend or go to Savannakhet.

8. If they complain on Thaivisa.com about 1-7 they are derided as bigots and told they should cultivate the delusion that the problem is their state of mind.

Apathy is not a solution to any of these issues, nor does the inability to change them make them unimportant. They are real problems that face expats in Thailand.

If your solution to these issues to is to not care about them, then you have have sold your dignity for peace of mind. I think you will find that the latter is more transient than the former.

I would imagine you don't live in Thailand and base your conclusions on things you read in ThaiVisa.

Because I don't agree with any of what you have said and I live here. I've improved Thailand, have no Visa problems, work whenever I want, no one scams me or tells me to shut up. In fact the big wheels where I live ask me for advice and I'm teaching my fruit/vegetable seller the English names for his products.

But tell me if I am wrong. Maybe you are miserable and live here who knows. I think you would be the first one in this thread.

The problem with your comment is you take your case but fail to understand that BudRight was looking at the wider picture. Maybe that is hard for you to understand. Maybe you need to think of others, not just yourself.

SC

Fair point. It was others that attributed misery to old age - presumably as a pro-active excuse for their own future foul temper "Sorry for being bad-tempered - it's the age. You should've seen how happy and carefree I was when I was your age. Like a carefree lamb gambolling in the meadow, I was, like a little skylark darting and swooping. But I've turned a bit grumpy and crotchety now I've turned 80 / 70 / 60 / 50 / 40 / 30 / 15 (as appropriate)"

Personally, I attribute it to a hangover, which I think is a more credible claim

SC

This one come around again so soon.....oh well!

If the OP wants more and varied answers just do a search, this has been done to death, but hey," play it again Sam"

Perhaps you didn't notice I've only posted 22 times on here? You didn't write "wait until you've been here 20 years" but your comment was more or less the same thing.....
A low number of posts, or even being a member here for just 6 months means nothing ! You may have been on the sidelines for years for all I know, you may have another identity too, Here you assume nothing !

Point taken Sir, and a good one. Didn't know Thai visa existed until about 6 months ago.

If the OP wants more and varied answers just do a search, this has been done to death, but hey," play it again Sam"

No Charlie, in this case, more like, "Play It Again SIAM."

I too get sick of the "Grizzle-guts" parade but once in a while, one of them comes up with some new aspect of discontent that makes me smile and prods me into slapping them down.

We can continue to tell each new Nay-sayer, to pack up and go home but I'm sure that the majority of them, if they do go home will only be there for 5 minutes before they start moaning about how bad things are there and how much better things are in LOS.

Cheers!

I never will understand, why I have to love everything a country, a society or just people throw at me, not be seen as "miserable"?!

There are things good and bad in Thailand, just like everywhere else.

But it seems, once you come here, you are expected to leave your brain at the immigration and just walk this place like you are constantly on dope, finding everything just amazing!

I am here for 6 years and I came to experience a different culture and to work here. Different culture was what I got!

I didn't leave my homecountry because it was hell and I didn't come to Thailand, expecting it to be paradise.

But I think I have the right, to criticize things that I don't deem okay, without the usual "if you don't like it- go home"...most of all not by other farangs.

Your misery is an affront to my illusion of paradise. You should not be allowed to be miserable in public. If you can't gambol and cavort, then at least appear smug or content.

SC

• Like 1

'Farangs' become miserable in Thailand because;

1. They have no political power and no ones cares about their opinions. If they speak up on an issue they are told to shut up and go back to farang-land.

2. They often pay more taxes than a hundred Thais yet are constantly reminded that the country does not belong to them and owes them nothing.

3. They are divided socially from the bulk of the population and stuck with labels and stereotypes based on race.

4. They are forbidden to work in most jobs, many of which would be more personally meaningful than whatever manner they are employed in.

5. They are (rather more infrequently than purported, IMHO) targeted for scams and hustles based on race. This can leave people bitter.

6. Many of them care about Thailand and want to see it overcome its weaknesses. The total inability to improve Thailand even a modicum is at least frustrating.

7. The visa situation is a constant hassle. They are never able to relax - always looking at their passports counting days till when they have to report or extend or go to Savannakhet.

8. If they complain on Thaivisa.com about 1-7 they are derided as bigots and told they should cultivate the delusion that the problem is their state of mind.

Apathy is not a solution to any of these issues, nor does the inability to change them make them unimportant. They are real problems that face expats in Thailand.

If your solution to these issues to is to not care about them, then you have have sold your dignity for peace of mind. I think you will find that the latter is more transient than the former.

That being said...sack up and move on.

Good post – great question.
To me, as long as we are guests in their country, there is a strong “love it or leave it” logic. But – We (some of us) do bring some good here. So it would be nice to get along.
My biggest hit was expectations and education – My dose was when we were robbed in Pattaya our 1st or 2nd month there. It was a lack of education and experience. Still Hand Choppingly miffed 3 years later. Personally I tried to get over that by remembering that people get robbed in NYC also. I do however dream of catching them with my axe …
Next I try not to take it for granted when we do meet genuinely nice hard working people. While I NEVER trust Thais to do electrical work without a dose of concern, I have met plenty of honest folks. When we have gotten screwed, the lack of access to courts (sue them and you’ll have “a problem”) does leave me with the feeling that I will always be outside the circle -- No matter how long we stay.
And lets not confuse “miserable” with “amazed”. Hanging power lines two feet off the ground, scaffolding from a Dr Seuss fable. holes in the sidewalk plenty big enough to swallow Farangs and Elephants. On and on …
Finally – It’s the heat. Spend enough time in the heat and even the guy giving out free baht might just get the grumpy look. If it wasn't for my wife's Jai Di, i'd be in a major heap of trouble ... …

Hate to ruin your day, BUT, you are NOT a "guest," to be a "guest" you need to be invited, check the definition. You, I assume like the rest of us, had to obtain a visa, this gives you permission to enter the kingdom, which means you are a visitor. Would you treat a "guest" the same way farang are treated?

• Like 1

Good post great question.

To me, as long as we are guests in their country, there is a strong love it or leave it logic. But We (some of us) do bring some good here. So it would be nice to get along.

My biggest hit was expectations and education My dose was when we were robbed in Pattaya our 1st or 2nd month there. It was a lack of education and experience. Still Hand Choppingly miffed 3 years later. Personally I tried to get over that by remembering that people get robbed in NYC also. I do however dream of catching them with my axe

Next I try not to take it for granted when we do meet genuinely nice hard working people. While I NEVER trust Thais to do electrical work without a dose of concern, I have met plenty of honest folks. When we have gotten screwed, the lack of access to courts (sue them and youll have a problem) does leave me with the feeling that I will always be outside the circle -- No matter how long we stay.

And lets not confuse miserable with amazed. Hanging power lines two feet off the ground, scaffolding from a Dr Seuss fable. holes in the sidewalk plenty big enough to swallow Farangs and Elephants. On and on

Finally Its the heat. Spend enough time in the heat and even the guy giving out free baht might just get the grumpy look. If it wasn't for my wife's Jai Di, i'd be in a major heap of trouble ...

Hate to ruin your day, BUT, you are NOT a "guest," to be a "guest" you need to be invited, check the definition. You, I assume like the rest of us, had to obtain a visa, this gives you permission to enter the kingdom, which means you are a visitor. Would you treat a "guest" the same way farang are treated?

Smashing! Two of our perennial favourites in one thread. And what about the driving, eh? Let's see if we can get them all in...

Where can I buy peanut butter in South-East Samutprakarn?

SC

• Like 1

Perhaps you didn't notice I've only posted 22 times on here? You didn't write "wait until you've been here 20 years" but your comment was more or less the same thing.....

A low number of posts, or even being a member here for just 6 months means nothing ! You may have been on the sidelines for years for all I know, you may have another identity too, Here you assume nothing !

Both of you, don't be so miserable!

SC

It's because of the elevators (lifts). Everyone knows the elevators don't work but the young guys don't mind the 10 story walk to jump off of the buildings. The old guys look at the, "Elevator No Work" sign and just go back and have another beer.

:)

Hi All,

Have a read of this, one neighbour seems happy and the other seems unhappy,

humour seems to be the difference.

The title initially was...

Another Nobody Writing About Their Life
or

Only an Aussie could do this.....or the odd Brit or 2

http://anothernobodyslife.com/2012/10/05/dear-neighbor/

I have lived here for a year and been visiting for eight years,

and I am pretty happy. If they could get rid of the taxi mafia

(and not creating their own political disasters each high season) I would

be ecstatic!!

Good luck and good humour to us all.

Pretty happy Aussie in Phuket!

IE

Good post great question.

To me, as long as we are guests in their country, there is a strong love it or leave it logic. But We (some of us) do bring some good here. So it would be nice to get along.

My biggest hit was expectations and education My dose was when we were robbed in Pattaya our 1st or 2nd month there. It was a lack of education and experience. Still Hand Choppingly miffed 3 years later. Personally I tried to get over that by remembering that people get robbed in NYC also. I do however dream of catching them with my axe

Next I try not to take it for granted when we do meet genuinely nice hard working people. While I NEVER trust Thais to do electrical work without a dose of concern, I have met plenty of honest folks. When we have gotten screwed, the lack of access to courts (sue them and youll have a problem) does leave me with the feeling that I will always be outside the circle -- No matter how long we stay.

And lets not confuse miserable with amazed. Hanging power lines two feet off the ground, scaffolding from a Dr Seuss fable. holes in the sidewalk plenty big enough to swallow Farangs and Elephants. On and on

Finally Its the heat. Spend enough time in the heat and even the guy giving out free baht might just get the grumpy look. If it wasn't for my wife's Jai Di, i'd be in a major heap of trouble ...

Smashing! Two of our perennial favourites in one thread. And what about the driving, eh? Let's see if we can get them all in...

Where can I buy peanut butter in South-East Samutprakarn?

SC

You just did.

Well, there's your problem, then. You're not just a newbie on Thaivisa, you're apparently a newbie to web forums, where any idiot knows that he should spend some time reading the forum and seeing what topics have been done to death already, so as, you know, not to prematurely post on something that's been discussed 1,000 times already, so you don't look like even more of an idiot.

Absolutely right, ( idiotic at post #64 and counting this time around), the topic's been flogged to death and of no value or interest to anyone. Talking about fmiserableclap2.gifcoffee1.gifcheesy.gif

How can you be sure that a miserable looking person actually is miserable. Some people just look discontent when in fact they're feeling OK with life. I guess the only way to find out if one is that interested is to ask; that's one way of making friends or ending up on the receiving end of some verbal.

Think this is a fair question. I have only been here for 18 months but in that time have seen at least half a dozen happy farangs become completely miserable after they were fleeced by girlfriends or wives 20 years their junior and wondered why.

No options. Foreign country and usually no money does not a happy man make I imagine!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Completely disagree.

There are many people moving in to or visiting Thailand who do not have the time that you apparently do. It is always nice when they can open a forum and see a topic that they would nor generally think about but have an interest. I know why they are here several reasons. so I do not bother to look but many new comers or potential new comers don't and they have enough to do with out searching through years of Thai Visa threads.

They are here for the booze the broads the drugs because they can not afford it where they come from because they are not wanted where they come from because the Thai's are so accepting and the list goes on.

They all have the one thing in common they are just miserable people under any and all circumstances.

Just want to say, I am miserable today.....................sad.png

Well once a year is OK isn't it.......?.........thumbsup.gif

Good on you, Transam, taking one for the team. Can you tell us why?

Weeeeeeeeeell, it's cos I was reading this topic...............laugh.png

I never will understand, why I have to love everything a country, a society or just people throw at me, not be seen as "miserable"?!

There are things good and bad in Thailand, just like everywhere else.

But it seems, once you come here, you are expected to leave your brain at the immigration and just walk this place like you are constantly on dope, finding everything just amazing!

I am here for 6 years and I came to experience a different culture and to work here. Different culture was what I got!

I didn't leave my homecountry because it was hell and I didn't come to Thailand, expecting it to be paradise.

But I think I have the right, to criticize things that I don't deem okay, without the usual "if you don't like it- go home"...most of all not by other farangs.

There's nothing wrong with expressing a negative about things (e.g., Thais & Thailand) but the misery ... or lack there of ... is all about attitude and how you choose to react.

Edited by HerbalEd

Think this is a fair question. I have only been here for 18 months but in that time have seen at least half a dozen happy farangs become completely miserable after they were fleeced by girlfriends or wives 20 years their junior and wondered why.

haha.

and what did these geniusses expect? some "hot cutie" (sic - see yet another post) half their age to be genuinely interested (let alone: in love) in a guy with a totally different background, totally different culture/language, different habits, utterly different BMI, etc.

here's what i see most of the time when observing farang with younger girlfriend:

1/ she's still pretending she's interested in listening to his superior knowledge about everything (spoken in this pathetic THAIGLISH) and he feels "interesting" again (as long as he does the talking of course...).

2/ she's bored to death, her brain is in hibernation, she eats as much as she can

Just want to say, I am miserable today.....................sad.png

Well once a year is OK isn't it.......?.........thumbsup.gif

Good on you, Transam, taking one for the team. Can you tell us why?

Weeeeeeeeeell, it's cos I was reading this topic...............laugh.png

Right, that's it. In our sample of one miserable old git, the principal cause of misery was reading TV. Perhaps if more people of advanced years were to read this topic more carefully, we could increase our sample size.

Personally, I struggle to understand why anyone just can't be happy today, after convincing wins for Edinburgh and Glasgow in the Pro12, and Steve Genmmell's team making it to the Quarter-Finals in Dubai. I suppose, unless they weren't Scottish.

SC