I had my British Embassy Income letter rejected by immigration for my annual extension of stay - Ban

I have often wondered what I would do it I had a problem and everything on my end was correct. I think I would do the dumb Farang routine. Act like I don't speak Thai and get my passport back and get out of the offending office. The next day I would go to another office, rent a hotel get the receipt and go to immigration there. That not working I would employ an agency to do it for me.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a pain in the arse I know, but go to the UK Embassy and explain what you were told by the Thai authorities and show them the stamp/s. Tell them that as there are agreements in place between both countries that this behavior on the part of the Thais is unacceptable and should be looked into by the Embassy staff. For if it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone from the UK. That simple. However, I do think that it was the wording of the name of the bank that caused the confusion. No one here in Thai knows what York is or where it is or if it really is a real bank. Statements from them stamped/notarized by the Embassy might be of a help next time. But the Thais saying that you cannot submit documents from the UK Embassy is ridiculous and goes beyond the scope of the normal parameters and international law. An embassy is sovereign territory and as such is to be respected as such. Therefore information coming from them must be considered valid and acceptable under any circumstances.

I have often wondered what I would do it I had a problem and everything on my end was correct.  I think I would do the dumb Farang routine.  Act like I don't speak Thai and get my passport back and get out of the offending office.  The next day I would go to another office, rent a hotel get the receipt and go to immigration there.  That not working I would employ an agency to do it for me. 

You cannot just go to any immigration to apply unless you move your residence. Just hotel receipt would not be enough proof.

I have often wondered what I would do it I had a problem and everything on my end was correct. I think I would do the dumb Farang routine. Act like I don't speak Thai and get my passport back and get out of the offending office. The next day I would go to another office, rent a hotel get the receipt and go to immigration there. That not working I would employ an agency to do it for me.

You cannot just go to any immigration to apply unless you move your residence. Just hotel receipt would not be enough proof.

If I live in a hotel what kind of proof would I need? I lived in hotels in CM and Pattaya and immigration never asked me for proof but it was a few years ago. Has that changed?

It is a pain in the arse I know, but go to the UK Embassy and explain what you were told by the Thai authorities and show them the stamp/s. Tell them that as there are agreements in place between both countries that this behavior on the part of the Thais is unacceptable and should be looked into by the Embassy staff. For if it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone from the UK. That simple. However, I do think that it was the wording of the name of the bank that caused the confusion. No one here in Thai knows what York is or where it is or if it really is a real bank. Statements from them stamped/notarized by the Embassy might be of a help next time. But the Thais saying that you cannot submit documents from the UK Embassy is ridiculous and goes beyond the scope of the normal parameters and international law. An embassy is sovereign territory and as such is to be respected as such. Therefore information coming from them must be considered valid and acceptable under any circumstances.

The final sentence on the US Income Affidavit form says: I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

Request for assistance. No reference to any mandated agreement in place. Also, the Police Order 777/2551 says all the information listed for the various bases for extension of stay are 'Criteria for Consideration' and there is no implication that if the conditions and documents as listed are met that the IMM Officer is somehow obligated to provide the requested extension.
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Yes things have changed since immigration issued an order that you have to do your extensions and etc at the designated office for where you live.

If you live in a hotel what kind of proof do they want?

Probably some kind of documentation proving you were staying there on a long stay basis.

This is a frustrating problem. You don't know the precise problem and if you push them too hard to find out you'll be seen as a troublemaker. If it was me I would try again next year and make sure there is no mention of a bank on the letter. I would also bring along solid proof of the source of the income in case of being challenged. If still getting flak then that would be the time to elevate the issue.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have always felt that I am not welcome in this country. Now that the government is under fire I believe that many office will take out their spite on farangs. I have a RP and only have to report every 8 years and pay a fee.

Interesting - How difficult is the process to get this?

It should of been PR which is permanent residency. Which you do not qualify because you are not working here.

Remember UbonJoe DOnaldBattles has been working and running a chain of food stores. A meat processing plant and at least one resturant for many years though I believe he has semi retired now.

He certainly would have qualified for permanant residency then and if he did still does.

I have sent a letter as the first step both to British Embassy and Thai immigration.

They both received their letters 3 days ago - I would expect the British Embassy to at least respond in the next 5 days with a position that I can follow up on.

I was going to go directly to the British Embassy immediately, but I have seen a few times complainers (about other issues) attempting to get someone (other than the girl behind the counter managing applications) to talk with them, but usually the outcome is they get little satisfaction or traction to go forward.

So if I get a positioning from a British Embassy with a response I then have some traction before I visit. If I get a general letter saying "sorry to hear about your problems, but...." I will research the response a little and then find out who I should be asking for - Try to arrange a meeting making a phone call.

If still nothing - I will go pay a visit to British Embassy and try and stand ground on a "please contact the Thai immigration because this position is not satisfactory".

Its not a perfect method and I might have to adapt and pivot along the way.

The final sentence on the US Income Affidavit form says: I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

Request for assistance. No reference to any mandated agreement in place. Also, the Police Order 777/2551 says all the information listed for the various bases for extension of stay are 'Criteria for Consideration' and there is no implication that if the conditions and documents as listed are met that the IMM Officer is somehow obligated to provide the requested extension.

Same sentance is on the British Embassy letter - So it feels like the best I will get from British Embassy is their cooperation in sourcing information to close the gap in understanding what went wrong.

Total success would be getting the Embassy to communicated with immigration and get guidance on how the Embassy should actual word the letter differently if other documents are presented (if simply its the banking docs that are the source of the problem).

There is no question that the Embassy has an obligation to understand what the gap is and look at processes to close this information gap for its users.

But getting any Embassy to communicate with Thai immigration in a meaningful way is the hard part - If they take a position that is they only go so far with helping its users of its service and they do not intend to enter new communications since this matter has been defined for all countries Embassy's via some or other document or decree or act of government etc - The process of defining a more accountable and predictable outcomes is going to remain difficult.

Edited by spambot

This is a frustrating problem. You don't know the precise problem and if you push them too hard to find out you'll be seen as a troublemaker. If it was me I would try again next year and make sure there is no mention of a bank on the letter. I would also bring along solid proof of the source of the income in case of being challenged. If still getting flak then that would be the time to elevate the issue.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like your response because it is solid and has a common sense way forward - It is actionable info.

I am currently having a letter written (in Thai) - Outlining my confusion and then just simply is asking 1. What was the problem? 2. How can I fix it? - Which is attached with a second sheet of paper with a headed saying: "answer (in Thai) on this page please "

Then after the protesters have exited the Gov buildings around the area I will then make a visit and pass the letter to her directly.

It might work, but making her commit - Might have a different effect - And might not get my objective met.

• 5 weeks later...

Income letter for Brits in Thailand

go to this link

https://www.gov.uk/n...de-for-thailand

and scroll down to

"services we provide in Thailand"

scan down to income letter and....

follow instructions - easiest by post IMHO Hope that helps

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Below is extract from site copied 4/01/2014

Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration

We can issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration confirming your pension/income to support the renewal/extension of your retirement visa. This letter is a Thai requirement and the granting of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Thai Immigration authorities not the British Embassy.

Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the essential financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter. According to Thai Immigration, your pension currency should not be converted into Thai Baht.

The fee for this letter is payable by cash or credit card if applying in person or by postal order for the exact amount if applying by post. The letter can be collected in person or sent to you by express mail with an additional postage and packaging cost of 100 Baht. Please note that fees can change without prior notice.

If you are unable to visit us in person, please mail us your request stating the total pension amount received monthly/yearly and enclosing the required documents. Please make the postal order (available at Post Offices) payable to the “British Embassy” and to be cashed at “Nana Post Office Bangkok 10112”.

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Documents required for this service

• original valid British passport or a photocopy if applying by post
  • proof of address such as outlined above
  • evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you

Where the wording says

“and has shown us banking statements from Yorkshire bank stating that he receives incomes totalling GBP xxx”

I know nothing about the income method as I use the cash here in Thai bank method.

But I wondered since this statement just reads you have income in a Yorkshire bank if

possibly that is the reason for rejection? Has that always been allowed & now changing?

As it would not necessarily mean you have funds for living on hand here?

Just wondering & thought I would ask is it that different than the cash on hand method?

the last three letters for me from british counsulate states he has shown us letters from,hsbcs bank statements,barclays bank statments,that he recieves pensions totalling??????,were before it said he has provided evidence that he recieves a pension of?????