Converting E-mails In Thai

TBWG

Hi :D

Getting hotmail e-mails from stepson that have been typed in thai.

These show up in the UK in what I assume is computer language. Any ideas as to if it is possible to translate them back to Thai so that boss lady can read them? or into english?

Have tried Babelfish but being computer jargon it does not work. :o

If possible instructions in easy to follow steps for a computer dummy would be appreciated :D

TBWG :D

Hmmmm, I can only suggest searching for an online translation service, for emails that you've already received.

For the future, I would suggest using a service like "thia2me" dot com. You pay a small fee, and you can send emails in English, which are then automatically translated into Thai. Your friends/stepson/whoever can use the service to send emails to you in Thai, which are then automatically translated into English before being sent to you.

Apparently the translations can be a little off though, being done automatically by a computer program.

What operating sytem do you run?

I know on my xp pro you can click on view then select encoding then goto more then look down the list for Thai. Select that then the email should show in Thai witout a problem.

If you dont have xp or cant find the Thai lisited in your list, i think you can goto microsofts website and download the language pack for free, which should contain the necessary files.

Hope this helps :o

I know on my xp pro you can click on view then select encoding then goto more then look down the list for Thai. Select that then the email should show in Thai witout a problem.

If you dont have xp or cant find the Thai lisited in your list, i think you can goto microsofts website and download the language pack for free, which should contain the necessary files.

Hope this helps :D

Thanks DB and all who responded.

Problem was e-mails where previously unreadable as it was in computer lingo rather than Thai. Anyway, As suggested have used character encoder found in view on toolbar and boss lady can now read in Thai.

Next problem, how can I get hold of a Thai keyboard in UK, so that she can reply? Any ideas? or website where I can order one?

Thanks again .

TBWG :o

Hope this helps :D

Thanks DB and all who responded.

Problem was e-mails where previously unreadable as it was in computer lingo rather than Thai. Anyway, As suggested have used character encoder found in view on toolbar and boss lady can now read in Thai.

Next problem, how can I get hold of a Thai keyboard in UK, so that she can reply? Any ideas? or website where I can order one?

Thanks again .

Sorry DB

Forgot to say congrats on mini daleyboy :D , Trust mum and son are doing well.

How is the nappy changing going? :o

Or let some one by you the Thai Keyboard Sticker and stick them onto your Keyboard.

Thai language keyboard stickers available from Here $5 dollars delivered, I use them on my laptop and they last quite well but eventually need replacing depending on usage.

Hope this helps :o

Edit - new info.

Keyboards availabe Here in UK and they are in stock at present for £16.93 including VAT

Better solution if your using a desktop :D

Edited by iamguava

If you have already loaded Thai font onto your computer, i think the best way is to get hold of the stickers. I got the stickers this year and the Mrs types easily with them now (they also have the English font on them). I think they cost between 40 and 60 baht. Get the family to post some over.

Sorry DB

Forgot to say congrats on mini daleyboy :D , Trust mum and son are doing well.

How is the nappy changing going? :D

All is well mate, wife is good and dirty nappies aint as bad as i thought they would be :o

If you have already loaded Thai font onto your computer, i think the best way is to get hold of the stickers. I got the stickers this year and the Mrs types easily with them now (they also have the English font on them). I think they cost between 40 and 60 baht. Get the family to post some over.

Hi Thanks to all the members who supplied info.

Expect stickers is the easiest way to go. :D Although my computer reads Thai what do I need to do to to get it typing Thai?

Easy to folow instuctions appreciated :o

Now you have the encoding, you will need some software, and short of buying the Thai version of windows, you will need to buy or get for free :o a software package. I personally dont know of any packages, but if you have a spare computer i would get a copy of Windows in Thai :D

and short of buying the Thai version of windows, you will need to buy or get for free whistling.gif a software package. I personally dont know of any packages, but if you have a spare computer i would get a copy of Windows in Thai

If you are using Windows XP it has Thai as standard, it just needs activating in the languages section of control panel. It is then just a matter of pressing left Alt key together with the shift key and you toggle between English and Thai input language. :o

Failing all that as time is upon us, use this as mentioned before:-

http://www.learningthai.com/thaikeyboard/

Type it your message and then highlight the text, then “Copy (ctrl c) and then Paste (ctrl V)” onto your e-mail.

Hope it works, worked for me.

Have fun :D

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Failing all that as time is upon us, use this as mentioned before:-

http://www.learningthai.com/thaikeyboard/

Type it your message and then highlight the text, then “Copy (ctrl c) and then Paste (ctrl V)” onto your e-mail.

Hope it works, worked for me.

Have fun :D

Yours truly, :o

Hi Kan Win :D

I have now established what I have always suspected i.e. that I have an IQ only marginally above that of an ant :D

I have gone to the virtual Thai keyboard and can get no further! Where/how do I type a letter using this facility?

Alternatively on my windows 2000 programme I have gone to the control panel selected regional options and configured the system to read & write Thai. But once again can get no further, do you know how I can switch from English to Thai? I feel that this in conjunction with Thai keyboard stickers is probably my best bet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

and short of buying the Thai version of windows, you will need to buy or get for free whistling.gif a software package. I personally dont know of any packages, but if you have a spare computer i would get a copy of Windows in Thai

If you are using Windows XP it has Thai as standard, it just needs activating in the languages section of control panel. It is then just a matter of pressing left Alt key together with the shift key and you toggle between English and Thai input language. :D

Hi iamguava'

As you can see in my post to Kan Win I am experiencing problems on my PC which has Windows 2000

However I have followed your instructions on my laptop which has XP and have installed Thai via the Language options.

But once again cannot activate the switch between English and Thai via Left Alt & shift key as you suggest.

I recall using PC's in Thailand where it had an Icon on the task bar saying either EN or TH as yet that has not appeared on my laptop or PC, feel if I could activate this all would be well but so far have not been able to manage it, any ideas?

Or maybe I should just give up! "my pen rai" :o

:D

TBWG

Last gasp effort, try “Search:D

And then type in :-

switcher.exe

That is if you have Microsoft Office “Installed”. Should be there :o

Hope so for your sake.

Good Luck :D

Yours truly, :D

Hi TBWG

From control panel on you laptop

Regional and Languages - options

Click languages tab

Click details button

On the settings tab towards the bottom you will see button marked "Language bar" click this button

Ensure that there is a tick in the checkbox "show additional language bar icons in the taskbar"

This should then show the familiar EN and TH in the bottom right corner of the taskbar.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use the stickers on my laptop but they have now worn away with use and I have found that a USB keyboard is a much more elegant solution and its just a matter of plugging into a spare USB port on either the desktop or laptop, once you have been successful in enabling Thai in windows.

Good luck! :o

Hi TBWG

From control panel on you laptop

Regional and Languages - options

Click languages tab

Click details button

On the settings tab towards the bottom you will see button marked "Language bar" click this button

Ensure that there is a tick in the checkbox "show additional language bar icons in the taskbar"

This should then show the familiar EN and TH in the bottom right corner of the taskbar.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use the stickers on my laptop but they have now worn away with use and I have found that a USB keyboard is a much more elegant solution and its just a matter of plugging into a spare USB port on either the desktop or laptop, once you have been successful in enabling Thai in windows.

Good luck! :D

Hi Iamguava

Thanks for easy to follow instructions :D However I had been through that procedure several times before without any success, tried again as you suggested, but EN/TH icon stubornly refuses to appear!! :o

I have tried looking at the task bar settings on control panel but nothing seems applicable.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but any further ideas very welcome :D Wearing out stickers on laptop keyboard remains a dream!

Thanks TBWG :D

I may be being a bit simple here, but all i have to do to be able to switch the language bar on is right click on the task bar at the bottom then go to toolbars and select language bar, and hey presto there it is.

Then when you have done that right click on the icon and goto setting and just check to make sure you have Thai installed, then it should just be a simple matter of clicking on the icon and selecting thai.

Now i am no genius so if this doesnt work then i cant help, but i run xp pro and thats how i get it to work. Hope that helps :o

I may be being a bit simple here, but all i have to do to be able to switch the language bar on is right click on the task bar at the bottom then go to toolbars and select language bar, and hey presto there it is.

Then when you have done that right click on the icon and goto setting and just check to make sure you have Thai installed, then it should just be a simple matter of clicking on the icon and selecting thai.

Now i am no genius so if this doesnt work then i cant help, but i run xp pro and thats how i get it to work. Hope that helps :D

Hi DB

Followed your instructions, language bar is ticked but icon still refuses to appear :o I am at a loss what to do next, think I might just give up!!

I am sure there must be a simple answer, trouble is I don't know what it is!

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way that I used to do is :

For reading thai and thai font : *Right mouse* click on anywhere on your desktop then click *Encoding to Thai Window* then your Boss can easily read thai.

For setting your keyborad to Eng-Thai-or French or German or other languages...( I am using 3 languages too )

......Click Start....click Setting.....looking for *Keyboard*......Click at *Language* then

.......click *Option....choosing your Thai -English * then Click *Add*

.......Click ( mark) in the small box to activate your language on the screen ..easy to click when you want to type TH......click TH.....Eng....when you want to type English ) click OK.

Finish......now you can type and change languages you want.

Followed your instructions, language bar is ticked but icon still refuses to appear :o I am at a loss what to do next, think I might just give up!!

็็Have you tried shift/left-alt regardless? It may be worth trying in Notepad or Word, where with a reasonable font (e.g. Tahoma) I believe the change will show up as soon as you start typing. With Word (at least, the XP Office version - a.k.a. Word 2002), you can switch to Thai just by pasting in some Thai and clickling in the text.

On XP I have had trouble with the language bar disappearing, but shift/alt-left has continued to work.

It may also be worth checking your language bar preferences. On XP it is accessed from a button on the window controlling your keyboard choices. Check that 'show the language bar on the desk top' is ticked.

If all else fails, there are several programs available - details are pinned at the Thai language section. They range from Javascript web page programs (some fully downloadable for working off-line) where you have to cut and paste, to full blown programs to interface keyboard and application directly.

Guest endure

When you say you have Thai installed have you installed the Thai keyboard driver?

From Microsoft:

Windows 2000

To add an additional language in Windows 2000, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Regional Settings.

3. Click the General tab, click to select the check box next to the appropriate language group you wish to install, and then click Apply. The system will either prompt for a Windows 2000 CD-ROM or access the system files across the network. Once the language is installed, Windows 2000 will prompt you to restart the computer.

To enable a newly added language and specify a keyboard layout in Windows 2000, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Regional Settings.

3. Click the Input Locales tab.

4. In the Input Locales box, click the appropriate language, and then click Properties.

5. In the Keyboard Layout box, click the appropriate keyboard layout, click OK, and then click OK.

Thanks to all who supplied above info, can now type Thai thanks to your help. :D

Now just need to await keyboard stickers to be able to make sense of it :o

Might try virtual Thai keyboard in meantime, although that could be opening another can of worms!

Thanks again

:D TBWG

Thanks to all who supplied above info, can now type Thai thanks to your help.

What solved the problem?

A related Windows XP SP2 anecdote. Within the past 24 hours, I lost my language bar. Shift,left-alt would take me through language/keyboard combinations, but the only way I knew which keyboard I had (except in Word) was to type and see what happened. The langauge bar was ticked in the the list of taskbar toolbars, but when I went to the keyboard selection window from the control panel, the language bar button in the preferences section was greyed out! The only way I could find to restore the language bar was to add another keyboard! I subsequently deleted the extra keyboard from the list and I still have my language bar.

Thanks to all who supplied above info, can now type Thai thanks to your help.

What solved the problem?

A related Windows XP SP2 anecdote. Within the past 24 hours, I lost my language bar. Shift,left-alt would take me through language/keyboard combinations, but the only way I knew which keyboard I had (except in Word) was to type and see what happened. The langauge bar was ticked in the the list of taskbar toolbars, but when I went to the keyboard selection window from the control panel, the language bar button in the preferences section was greyed out! The only way I could find to restore the language bar was to add another keyboard! I subsequently deleted the extra keyboard from the list and I still have my language bar.

็Hi RW

To be honest I have lost track of the options I have taken to try to activate the Thai keyboard, all I know is that the last thing I did was follow Endure's instructions and it worked, although I am fairly sure I went through that procedure previously without success.

However I do have a similar problem to you, although I have ticked the box to enable indicator on taskbar the icon stubbornly remains on EN even when typing in thai. I alternate between languages via the left alt-shift option.

Regards

TBWG :o

in

• 2 weeks later...

Postscript

After recieving the stickers all went well, for 2 days anyway.

Until I managed to spill half a glass of best bitter over keyboard :D:D

Consequently keyboard now B*****ed!! So I have now ordered pukka Thai keyboard, could have been worse could have bought keyboard in first place and ruined within 48 hours :D

Spos'e the moral here is don't drink and drive a computer at same time :o

TBWG