Stallions Motorcycles power up own plant

bazmlb

Stallions, a Thai motorcycle manufacturer, will start up its own 200-million-baht assembly plant this month, aimed at doubling sales to 12,000 units next year.

stallions.jpg

Chief executive Areerat Sriprathai said the assembly plant in the Hemaraj Chonburi Industrial Estate has annual production capacity of 12,000 units. 

Stallions plans to export the motorcycles to Asean in the future.

The minibikes are currently produced by a factory owned by Tiger, another Thai motorcycle brand, in Samut Prakan.

[afg]2013-12-2[/afg]

I have a foreboding feeling but wish them all the best. The Thai motorcycle market has been starved of consumer choice for many decades so all new entrants are welcome.

I have just thought, is this a tie-up with the Procurement Section of the RTP, I wonder?

Edited by Briggsy

12,000 units per year equates to about B 16,700 gross per unit, and to be competitive in the market place, against say Keeway, it looks likely to retail at about 60,000 baht.

As mentioned in other posts, 'Made in Thailand' is by no means a guarantee of quality. I also agree the overall appearance of the machine is reminiscent of a past era and may not find an appreciative audience.

If the machine isn't designed to cope with the demanding terrain of a typical Thai roadway it will soon fall foul of the many potholes, bumps, crevices and surface debris. A  sturdy construction coupled with robust mechanical engineering is a necessity if The Stallion is to succeed.

I recently came 'unstuck' and floored my 9 year old TA 200, admittedly it has a crash bar but even so, the only damage was a broken NS rear indicator & armature and a crumpled chromed side trim.

Cost to reinstate as new, a total of  B 1450 inclusive of oil change, a quick check-over, plus collection from house and return... since my foot was broken in 4 places ! If the Stallion can withstand the same punishment it might have a chance.

When something seems illogical, the explanation can be it is not what it is claimed to be.

I just have a feeling this could be a small wealth transfer project. Perhaps, from the capital value of the bank i.e. the shareholders to a consortium of bank staff who oversee loans and executives of Stallion. Just an idea.

Their 150cc bike pictured is actually a "cafe racer" style bike "developed" by Tiger, which they decided not to put into production.

Its a little overstating it to say that their bikes are "produced" by Tiger; they are actually manufactured in China and then assembled by Tiger.  Given the Chinese reputation for the quality of their parts (possibly undeserved) and Tiger's reputation for the quality of their assembly (definitely deserved) they seem to have the worst of both worlds.

Its probable that, like Tiger, their main market is export to ASEAN rather than Thailand and that Thailand, rightly or wrongly, has a better reputation in ASEAN than China.

The Stallions Centaur in this picture actually sells pretty well in Thailand.There is a whole owners group in BKK and they are all pretty happy.

It is easy to convert to a cafe racer and it has a green book, unlike 90 percent of the SR400's on the road.

When something seems illogical, the explanation can be it is not what it is claimed to be.

I just have a feeling this could be a small wealth transfer project. Perhaps, from the capital value of the bank i.e. the shareholders to a consortium of bank staff who oversee loans and executives of Stallion. Just an idea.

You mean that "a consortium of bank staff who oversee loans" and "executives of Stallion" may be financing the factory with an overvalued bank loan?  Basically ripping off the bank?  Not only is that rather libellous, but while it may have been possible 15 years ago its also extremely unlikely with current Thai banking regulations and checks.

You mean that "a consortium of bank staff who oversee loans" and "executives of Stallion" may be financing the factory with an overvalued bank loan?  Basically ripping off the bank?  Not only is that rather libellous, but while it may have been possible 15 years ago its also extremely unlikely with current Thai banking regulations and checks.

You sure?
as it is all about whom you know from top levels.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

(edited)

I also agree the overall appearance of the machine is reminiscent of a past era and may not find an appreciative audience.

Umm ... that's the whole point of this bike, the Stallion Mini, Tiger Retro, Ryuka Classic, Retro Sport, etc.  They're designed and intended for people who want a "retro" style bike from a "past era", not for those who just want a Fino or something unidentifiable to go shopping on.

Amongst Thais (and some farangs) they already have an appreciative audience, despite their many drawbacks.

• Like 2

You sure?
as it is all about whom you know from top levels.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What I'm "sure" of is that this is all based entirely on speculation and is libellous. 

If Stallion want to sell more bikes they can't do it under the current arrangement with Tiger as Tiger simply do not have the manufacturing/assembly capacity.  End of story.

What I'm "sure" of is that this is all based entirely on speculation and is libellous.

Surely libel has to be "aimed" at someone and not just be vague meanderings about people who may or may not exist. I think that is called a waffling? Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Surely libel has to be "aimed" at someone and not just be vague meanderings about people who may or may not exist. I think that is called a waffling?

I'm pretty sure "the executives of Stallion" exist!

Tiger was never known for producing awesome bikes! And this looks like a smoldering oldie that will live up to tigers reputation. I just don't get why they would copy an extremely unattractive replica of a bike that had a very small market in the beginning for Yamaha SR400.(Which I had for 5 weeks & traded for 1000 LTD  Kawasaki

And was worth the trade up in cost to have a comfortable ride that didn't look 40 years old when it was new.I wish them good luck but they do have their reputation in the past that may come back to bite them with the new production run of bikes.

• 8 months later...
I have just noticed that they have a classic for 62k 150cc and the café racer 150cc for 67k on the Sukhumvit road Pattaya.

Anyone bought one of these? ?

I'm in the market now that the Honda Click has gone.

Thanks in advance.