Where can I buy a pizza stone?

durianfan

Don't know about that but I had one of them mini pizza's from the Supermarket shop in Kata, near beach (next to Surf shop) 120B but boy Aloy Mak Mak! eaten about 1hr ago Mmm...

Surely a catering outlet store does them, I would go and ask at a few pizzeria's where they get stones from

True Value hardware has pizza stones, and for not much more than pocket change too. They work fine.

If you search on pizza stones using Google, you will find that most of the cooking/recipe web sites have information on using plain tiles as pizza stones. It seems there are some things to look for regarding type to stone, density etc etc. They also caution against using glazed stones for a number of reasons.

Edit: assuming you have a True Value hardware down there that is...........

Edited by User3

Don't know, but you can go to a shop that does granite countertops and have them cut you out a round in any size you want.

Yep...granite is ideal for pizza stone..just make sure its unglazed..If glazed on one side use that no problem, but bake on the unglazed side..ie glazed side down..enjoy

Edited by andreandre

Don't know, but you can go to a shop that does granite countertops and have them cut you out a round in any size you want.

Yep...granite is ideal for pizza stone..just make sure its unglazed..If glazed on one side use that no problem, but bake on the unglazed side..ie glazed side down..enjoy

Any paticular reason to use the unpolished side rather than the polished? I've been using the polished side of a granite stone I had cut for the oven (doesn't need to be round for sure!) for a long time. Easier to clean up any juice spills etc if they're on the polished side and the baking parchment I use under the pizza or loaves of bread slide nicely.

Edited by fredge45

Any paticular reason to use the unpolished side rather than the polished? I've been using the polished side of a granite stone I had cut for the oven (doesn't need to be round for sure!) for a long time. Easier to clean up any juice spills etc if they're on the polished side and the baking parchment I use under the pizza or loaves of gread slides nicely.

About what thikness is it?

10mm oe so?

Any paticular reason to use the unpolished side rather than the polished? I've been using the polished side of a granite stone I had cut for the oven (doesn't need to be round for sure!) for a long time. Easier to clean up any juice spills etc if they're on the polished side and the baking parchment I use under the pizza or loaves of gread slides nicely.

About what thikness is it?

10mm oe so?

Mine is right on 15mm thick. Leave it on a rack lower in the oven all of the time as it acts as a heat sink and evens out the spikes of temperatures in the oven when baking pastries etc. Those are baked on a sperate rack of course.

• Like 1

Any paticular reason to use the unpolished side rather than the polished? I've been using the polished side of a granite stone I had cut for the oven (doesn't need to be round for sure!) for a long time. Easier to clean up any juice spills etc if they're on the polished side and the baking parchment I use under the pizza or loaves of bread slide nicely.

Any paticular reason to use the unpolished side rather than the polished?

I was told that often lead and or other toxic materials used in the process that can be released at the high temps required can be detrimental to your health.....fact or not? i really dont know..

I , by chance bought an off cut that was unglazed before i researched it..If you have been using yours and have no ill effects...keep on using it

I was told that often lead and or other toxic materials used in the process that can be released at the high temps required can be detrimental to your health.....fact or not? i really dont know..

I , by chance bought an off cut that was unglazed before i researched it..If you have been using yours and have no ill effects...keep on using it

Now I start to understand what you're driving at here.

Granite is a natuallly occuring stone and is quarryed for various uses. It is not glazed but polished by mechanical means.

You are referring to glazed tiles. Tiles fired to low temperatures after being glazed with some combination of chemicals can pose health risks if subjected to certain chemicals (acidic fluids will leach lead based glazes) or higher temperatures than a kitchen oven can normally achieve.

Big difference between the two for sure.

Thanks for clearing this question... There are many who say I'm more than a bit crazy but I can assure you it is not from using the polished side of my granite baking stone. w00t.gif

Now I start to understand what you're driving at here.

Granite is a natuallly occuring stone and is quarryed for various uses. It is not glazed but polished by mechanical means.

You are referring to glazed tiles. Tiles fired to low temperatures after being glazed with some combination of chemicals can pose health risks if subjected to certain chemicals (acidic fluids will leach lead based glazes) or higher temperatures than a kitchen oven can normally achieve.

Big difference between the two for sure.

Thanks for clearing this question... There are many who say I'm more than a bit crazy but I can assure you it is not from using the polished side of my granite baking stone. w00t.gif

Yes i understand and agree with most of what you say, yes granite is polished not glazed..[crossover of terms by me ,my bad] but because granite is porous like any other stone, it is usually sealed after polishing..this is apparently where the toxins come from when heated in the oven..