Banks set to switch to chip-based ATMs

Banks set to switch to chip-based ATMs
By English News

13860766244858-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 2 – Thailand's commercial banks nationwide will start shifting existing magnetic strip ATMs and debit cards to chip-embedded cards by next year to prevent skimming fraud.

Bank of Thailand Payment Systems Policy Department senior director Jaturong Jantarangs said all commercial banks will start using the chip technology to prevent skimming fraud. So far, up to 30,000 out of 50,000 ATM machines nationwide have been made compatible with the chip technology and the rest should be upgraded by next year.

Mr Jaturong said all banks will bear the cost of the technology upgrade. At the same time, card users will need to learn how to operate internet banking and mobile banking to protect themselves from falling prey to skimming fraud.

As of now, banks in Europe, the US and Japan have shifted to chip-based debit and ATM cards which bar skimmers from copying card information. In Thailand, Bangkok Bank, the country's largest bank in terms of assets has already upgraded to chip-based ATMs and debit cards. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-03

"Mr Jaturong said all banks will bear the cost of the technology upgrade".....

Hmmmmm.....if this is true then clap2.gif but i think the reality will be more the norm of "lets charge them with higher blah blah blah but don't tell Jaturong "!!! wai2.gif

Hmmmmm.....if this is true then clap2.gif but i think the reality will be more the norm of "lets charge them with higher blah blah blah but don't tell Jaturong "!!! wai2.gif

Cost of the new cards springs to mind.

Will the banks actually insist everybody has to replace with a new card once the rollout is complete?

• Like 1

Will the banks actually insist everybody has to replace with a new card once the rollout is complete?

I expect the new cards will be phased in. As people's cards expire or they replace lost/damaged cards, the replacements will be the chipped cards.

At some point the banks might request everyone come in for a new card, or if a customer happens to be there for some business they might suggest swapping their card out for the new one.

I would guess the old mag strip cards will continue to work for a long time.

The cost of the chip version is peanuts anyway, especially if you order big quantities like the banks do. I think it would be quite stupid to refuse this offer, or would you rather save 100 baht for the card and risk having stolen your money from your old magnetic ATM?

About time. And it's not only banks in Europe, US and Japan. Malaysian banks have all switched to chip-based card since I-don't-remember-when.

Actually, I think the great majority of cards in the U.S. are still magnetic strip based...I probably have around ten U.S. debit and credit cards (around half are debit cards)...from the largest banks/credit card companies to small regional credit unions..."none" of them have chips. However, I have seen where at least one of my banks is now offering chipped cards (I think it was a credit card not debit card) but you need to request it at time of issue otherwise you still get the magnetic strip card. No doubt there is a shift beginning in the U.S. towards chip based cards...but it's just a beginning.

I expect the new cards will be phased in. As people's cards expire or they replace lost/damaged cards, the replacements will be the chipped cards.

At some point the banks might request everyone come in for a new card, or if a customer happens to be there for some business they might suggest swapping their card out for the new one.

Yes I agree and my question was meant to be slightly rhetorical.....

The banks already charge for any new card and I would imagine a lot of Thais will not bother to change unless forced to which somewhat defeats the point of the roll out. Of course the banks then actually have a reason to say any losses are not their responsibility............whistling.gif

One of the main reasons I've never opted for BKK Bank's chipped ATM/debit card is its total incompatibility -- now -- with all the other Thai banks' ATMs.

If in the next year or two -- considering the Thais' adherence to keeping to schedules -- the other Thai banks upgrade their ATM machines to work with chipped cards, I'd certainly consider converting my various Thai bank cards to the chipped versions.

So far, up to 30,000 out of 50,000 ATM machines nationwide have been made compatible with the chip technology and the rest should be upgraded by next year.

3 out of 5 Thai bank ATMs are now compatible with chip technology?! As far as I know only Bangkok Bank has such ATMs and none of the other Thai banks....don't remember any other Thai bank advertising such capability. Maybe Khun Jaturong meant 3,000 out of 50,000. I sure hope Khun Jaturong has told the bank about his desire....but he did use the "should" word in terms of the "upgraded by next year" part of this statement. "Should" to a Thai generally means you really don't have to do it unless you really want to.

One of the main reasons I've never opted for BKK Bank's chipped ATM/debit card is its total incompatibility -- now -- with all the other Thai banks' ATMs.

If in the next year or two -- considering the Thais' adherence to keeping to schedules -- the other Thai banks upgrade their ATM machines to work with chipped cards, I'd certainly consider converting my various Thai bank cards to the chipped versions.

BKK bank Atm/debit card is one of the only card's that can be used for online payment's as far as I know.

Just wait until the Thai banks -- who the government says will have to pay for the upgrade themselves -- turn around and pass along the expenses to their customers via higher card issuance charges for the chipped cards or perhaps other types of transactions charges. Can't say that will happen for certain, but a certainly wouldn't be surprised.

The banks never PAY for anything themselves. Only the customers pay, one way or the other, in the end.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I just replaced my ATM card with Bangkok Bank 2 weeks ago. They still gave me the old style with the magnetic strip. My expiration is 2023, so I hope they don't wait until this one expires. There will be no such thing as an ATM card then. It will all be a fingerprint, or eyeball, scanner. Has anyone got a copyright yet on "SmartEye Technology"? Or "iEye"? Pay me a royalty please.

Hmmmmm.....if this is true then Posted Image but i think the reality will be more the norm of "lets charge them with higher blah blah blah but don't tell Jaturong "!!! Posted Image 

I just replaced my ATM card with Bangkok Bank 2 weeks ago. They still gave me the old style with the magnetic strip. My expiration is 2023, so I hope they don't wait until this one expires. There will be no such thing as an ATM card then. It will all be a fingerprint, or eyeball, scanner. Has anyone got a copyright yet on "SmartEye Technology"? Or "iEye"? Pay me a royalty please.
I received a new ATM card from KTB last week. It is a mag strip card also. The expiration date is far off in the future; it might be 2023 as well.

I wonder if we will still be using ATM cards then, or even using cash.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got an email from Capital One just before I left for my trip to Thailand in October that it was offering a chip card to users of its credit cards who travel frequently overseas. I suspect part of this was due to the amount of fraudulent charges they get from old magnetic strip credit cards. I predict many other credit card companies in the US will follow suit and before too long most of the consumers in the US will have their cards replaced with ones that contain the chip technology.

Pib, on 04 Dec 2013 - 18:53, said:

c

QuoteSo far, up to 30,000 out of 50,000 ATM machines nationwide have been made compatible with the chip technology and the rest should be upgraded by next year.

3 out of 5 Thai bank ATMs are now compatible with chip technology?! As far as I know only Bangkok Bank has such ATMs and none of the other Thai banks....don't remember any other Thai bank advertising such capability. Maybe Khun Jaturong meant 3,000 out of 50,000. I sure hope Khun Jaturong has told the bank about his desire....but he did use the "should" word in terms of the "upgraded by next year" part of this statement. "Should" to a Thai generally means you really don't have to do it unless you really want to.

Well, let me correct myself, according to the paragraph at the bottom of this Bangkok Bank webpage the bank has 8,300 chip capable ATMs. So, if Khun Jaturong is correct on 50,000 ATMs in Thailand and I haven't seen anyone mention any other Thai bank ATMs having chip capable ATMs then 8,300 out of 50,000 are compatible with chip technology. Now we are getting close to 1 out of 5. But maybe Jaturong meant the ATM is compatible "when and if" the ATM is upgraded...i.e., new card read and software installed. Because when Bangkok Bank upgraded their ATMs to be chip capable I'm pretty sure they did not replace them/junk the old ones, instead they just upgraded them....one day the ATM is not capable...the ATM upgrade team modifies the ATM...the next day the ATM is chip capable. Just takes time and money....both of which which seem to be frequently in short supply in Thailand unless it's new political scheme--then it's on a do it now schedule and money is no an object.

Maybe upgrade could be paid for by changing the foreign card ATM use fee from Bt150 for Visa/Bt180 for Mastercard to Bt200...I sure hope no bankers read my post as they'll probably think raising the foreign card use fee is a dam_n good idea....but I expect they have already thought of it...bankers are geniuses when it come to fees.

Use of Bangkok Bank chip enabled Be1st debit cards is optional. The customer picks which one he/she wants to use and pay for. Pick the Be1st standard/magnetic strip card that's what your replacement card will be at Bt200/year fee unless request to switch to the chip enabled card. Pick the chip-enabled card and that's what you replacement will be at a Bt300/year fee. See below fee chart taken from the Bangkok Bank website. At this point in time, use of Bangkok Bank chip enabled cards is customer optional. But if you do use the Be1st chip enabled debit card as far as I know you can only use it in Bangkok Bank ATMs since most to all other Thai bank ATMs are not chip capable as far as I know.

post-55970-0-17926200-1386213158_thumb.j

BKK bank Atm/debit card is one of the only card's that can be used for online payment's as far as I know.

For my online shopping I can use both BKK bank and Kasikorn (K-Cyber Banking)