Self defense in Cambodia

Get a walking cane - seriously.

http://www.canemasters.com/

Dont be lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that you have one, but I view this as infinitely preferable to having to explain to the Police that you stabbed someone 'in self defense'. Several Youtube vids showing different techniques for using your cane - you dont have to hold it over your head and charge, Kendo-style, at your assailant ;)

Bloody hell, are you insane! If for some reason, you did end up using a knife, taser, gun on anyone in Cambodia, even as self defense, you would find yourself locked up in Prey Saw or one of the countries other medieval prisons...YOU will be GUILTY in the eye of the law, and unlikely to be found innocent once you finally go to trial.

And why are you afraid of "insane Barangs"...are you involved in illegal activities?? Hmmm?

Get yourself to some Krav Magra training. Don't arm yourself with anything, unless you are actually capable and commited to using the weapon.

Krav Maga, sadly, seems to be the 2013 equivalent of the Ninjitsu craze which swept the West back in the 80s. I would put the chances of finding a qualified instructor in Cambodia as roughly equal to my chances of winning Lotto - happy to hear otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Get yourself to some Krav Magra training. Don't arm yourself with anything, unless you are actually capable and commited to using the weapon.

Krav Maga, sadly, seems to be the 2013 equivalent of the Ninjitsu craze which swept the West back in the 80s. I would put the chances of finding a qualified instructor in Cambodia as roughly equal to my chances of winning Lotto - happy to hear otherwise.

I agree, although Krav Maga has been around for a long time it is only recently coming into the limelight for average citizen joe as the next big craze. Also, most Krav Maga that is taught these days is a "Westernised" version of the original, the only true Krav Maga is taught in the Israeli SF.

There is one qualified instructor that conducts Krav Maga training in Cambodia that I am aware of, an ex French Foreign Legionnaire at K1 Fitness & Fight Factory.

Edited by rarky

It's a bit more than a craze or fad. It's one of the simplest and most effective self defence systems out there which is why I reccomended it. I suspect you are correct about finding a qualified instructer in Cambodia.

Back in the 80s, there was a guy in NY who taught 'no BS self-defence' specifically for women. At a time when others were still teaching the old 'finger strike to the eyes', he was teaching his students to carry a pen everywhere and go straight for the eyes. He would also take students to clubs to teach them situational awareness and he had no problem with his students glassing an attacker. I thought the guy was a bit of a whack job at the time, but the YT vids on Krav Maga seem to contain a lot of the same ideas - use a weapon if you can find one, never assume there is only one attacker, learn to defend against armed attackers etc.

Most of the self defense vids on YT do make a point that you should be trying to talk your way out of a confrontation, but the techniques from that point forward seem designed to leave the opposition with a permanent disability (or worse) - I just dont know how that will go down with the law.

• Like 1

A good, solid pen makes a great defensive tool, and also is not classed as a weapon. Someone carrying something like a knife, which is classed as a weapon would have a hard time defending their actions as self-defense, but a pen is an everyday item which you just happened to have on your person at the time.

Disclaimer: I'm not condoning violence in any way, shape or form.

• Like 1

I'm concerned about defending myself against lunatic barang

I am not sure I understand? I have been coming to Cambodia for close to 20 years and lived here the last 5; in that time I have never had any problems with either locals or Barang. Maybe you should make better choices when it comes to the venues you hang out in.

I didn't say that I'd had a problem with anyone. I said that I was "concerned about defending myself," and I base that on some of the people I see. Perhaps the concerns are unfounded but regardless, I feel like every adult has the right to defend themselves if need be.

Get a walking cane - seriously.

http://www.canemasters.com/

Dont be lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that you have one, but I view this as infinitely preferable to having to explain to the Police that you stabbed someone 'in self defense'. Several Youtube vids showing different techniques for using your cane - you dont have to hold it over your head and charge, Kendo-style, at your assailant wink.png

I'm a little too young to be walking around with a cane.

Bloody hell, are you insane! If for some reason, you did end up using a knife, taser, gun on anyone in Cambodia, even as self defense, you would find yourself locked up in Prey Saw or one of the countries other medieval prisons...YOU will be GUILTY in the eye of the law, and unlikely to be found innocent once you finally go to trial.

And why are you afraid of "insane Barangs"...are you involved in illegal activities?? Hmmm?

Please, let's not turn this forum into another K440.

I am not sure I understand? I have been coming to Cambodia for close to 20 years and lived here the last 5; in that time I have never had any problems with either locals or Barang. Maybe you should make better choices when it comes to the venues you hang out in.

I didn't say that I'd had a problem with anyone. I said that I was "concerned about defending myself," and I base that on some of the people I see. Perhaps the concerns are unfounded but regardless, I feel like every adult has the right to defend themselves if need be.

OK. I guess if you lived in Berlin, Paris, or London you'd probably ask where to get a sub-machine gun?

• Like 1

OK. I guess if you lived in Berlin, Paris, or London you'd probably ask where to get a sub-machine gun?

Why do you feel the need to make comments like this? I made a simple and generalized inquiry about self defense in Cambodia. I didn't ask anyone where to get a weapon and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop insinuating that I'm saying things which I have in fact never said (that I have a problem with someone, that I'm looking for a weapon, etc.). And if you're not interested in the topic, then find some other thread and stop looking for opportunities to antagonize people.

OK, starting to get testy here, everyone please calm down.

OP to be fair you did specifically ask about weapons (and the legality of same) in your post.

I think most readers (myself included) just have a hard time understanding why you feel threatened.

In more than 20 years all over Cambodia, I've seen some scuzzy foriegners that I didn't much care for, but can't recall ever seeing any I felt were a potential threat to my safety. Unless one counts being bored to death.....

• Like 1

OK, starting to get testy here, everyone please calm down.

OP to be fair you did specifically ask about weapons (and the legality of same) in your post.

I think most readers (myself included) just have a hard time understanding why you feel threatened.

In more than 20 years all over Cambodia, I've seen some scuzzy foriegners that I didn't much care for, but can't recall ever seeing any I felt were a potential threat to my safety. Unless one counts being bored to death.....

Sorry I ever asked (or created this thread). In the future I will ask my questions in other forums dedicated to Cambodia. There are several. Bye!