Nigerian cook sinks with ship, found alive in air bubble after 3 days

webfact

Harrison Okene Rescued From Sunken Ship After 3 Days Trapped Under Sea (VIDEO)
The Huffington Post

A man who spent three days trapped in an air pocket of a sunken ship was discovered by divers, turning a search for dead bodies into an incredible rescue operation.

Recently released video taken by DCN Diving captured the intense rescue.

Harrison Okene, 29, was a chef on the Jascon 4, an oil company's ship, when the boat capsized and sunk 100 feet into the ocean off the coast of Nigeria in May due to heavy ocean swells, Reuters reported at the time.

As the ship sunk, Okene was washed away by the rushing water.

"Three guys were in front of me and suddenly water rushed in full force," Okene told Reuters. "I saw the first one, the second one, the third one just washed away. I knew these guys were dead."

Of the 12 members on the crew, Okene was the only survivor, finding refuge in a small air pocket of the ship.

The lone survivor began pulling paneling from the walls to use as a raft. For three days he drank Coca Cola, unable to eat or drink water, according to the BBC. Even worse, the salt water started to take the skin off his body and tongue.

"I was there in the water in total darkness just thinking it's the end," he said. "I kept thinking the water was going to fill up the room but it did not."

Despite surviving in pitch-black conditions, Okene said he knew he wasn't alone.

"I couldn't see anything, but I could perceive the dead bodies of my crew were nearby," he said. "I could smell them. The fish came in and began eating the bodies. I could hear the sound. It was horror."

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/03/harrison-okene-rescued-video_n_4377878.html

-- THE HUFFINGTON POST 2013-12-04
  • Like 2

I don't know about him, but I think I would be going through years of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome for many years. I'd probably also be staying really, really far from boats, ships, and anything deeper than a shower.

• Like 1

It must have been a very big air pocket, otherwise C02 poisoning and/or O2 starvation would have gotten him. I'm wondering if this is a hoax ...

I am happy for the man. If it is fabricated I pray for him.

It never occurred to me to look for a darker side of the story.

Easy Does it.

It must have been a very big air pocket, otherwise C02 poisoning and/or O2 starvation would have gotten him. I'm wondering if this is a hoax ...

I'm wondering if this is a hoax ...

Did you happen to read the full story and see the rescue video?....of course not..obviously facepalm.gif

keep on 'wondering' mate....

• Like 2

While he was trapped underwater, he penned the following letter,

Dear Friend,

I know this letter comes as a surprise to you.

I have been trapped in a boat for the last three days. While contemplating my imminent death, I was moved by God to impart you the good news that my father, former nigerian oil minister, had left me USD10,000,000 ( Ten Million US dollars) which I would like to transfer to a trustworthy partner such as yourself. Unfortunately, because of my fathers position, I am not able to transfer funds without a correspondent bank overseas.

In view of our trusted relationship, I undertake to share with you 20 percent of the sum transferred.

Please do not divulge these details to any other party.........

Is this suppose to be funny?

• Like 1

The incident was in May. The BBC news channel earlier today explained the reason it is back in the news now, is because the video has only just been released.

It is a inspirational moving story of survival and fortitude.

I hate the bad sick "jokes" but guess not uncommon on here on many topics.

Did you happen to read the full story and see the rescue video?....of course not..obviously facepalm.gif

MaxYakov knows a thing or two about russkiy submarines and air pockets - look his avatar.

I also know little bit.It has happened last night - I watched good movie about russkiy subs - "Phantom",real story,rescue operation was reported in National Geographic mag years ago - incredible!nobody survived - 4000mtrs below surface;but they got bodies and they send them to Soviet Union.

Some people just ain,t got no sense of homour ! Hat,s off to him anyway smile.png

Humor at the expense of another persons suffering is indeed unfortunate. I don't find a person run over by a car, being maimed in a machinery accident, someone lost at sea or trapped in a sunken vessel the least bit humorous. Death is no comedy, whatever face you paint on it.

Place yourself or a loved one in this persons place. If you are not under the influence of some substance or toxic liquid, perhaps you will feel compassion or a degree of sympathy for him.

Live and Let Live

MaxYakov knows a thing or two about russkiy submarines and air pockets - look his avatar.

I also know little bit.It has happened last night - I watched good movie about russkiy subs - "Phantom",real story,rescue operation was reported in National Geographic mag years ago - incredible!nobody survived - 4000mtrs below surface;but they got bodies and they send them to Soviet Union.

Yes, an incredible feat. I'm sure the families appreciated being able to lay their loved ones to rest in the soil of Mother Russia. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

I dont see what this humble cook has to do with Nigerian scammers. The joke was in bad taste and racial stereotyping.

Imagine what it was like.

He could have no idea anyone knew his vessel had sunk let alone where. He would assumed there was little chance of survival.

It would have been the same as being buried alive. Salt water sores, lack of sleep, the sheer horror of his situation. Pitch dark.

I am freaked thinking about it.

But he kept it together and survived.

Ok ... not the crime of the century to make an infantile racial joke but I am glad some vented their disgust.

But then again no one ever says in a discussion of any sort ... wow your right. I am wrong, So guess the poster of the sick joke and supporters wont agree.

Now back to my beer, having got that off my chest.

So amazing. I watched the 15 minute long video on youtube and could not believe it.

Pitch black darkness for 3 days. No food or water. He said he could hear fish eating his fellow crew members. Then suddenly a rescue diver appears. I'm guessing that he might have never scuba dived in his life and now he is being told to put on a mask a breathe underwater. WOW!

I read another article that said now that he is home, he wakes up at night constantly thinking his bed is moving and he jumps up and screams. Sad. Hopefully he will get better.

So amazing. I watched the 15 minute long video on youtube and could not believe it.

Pitch black darkness for 3 days. No food or water. He said he could hear fish eating his fellow crew members. Then suddenly a rescue diver appears. I'm guessing that he might have never scuba dived in his life and now he is being told to put on a mask a breathe underwater. WOW!

I read another article that said now that he is home, he wakes up at night constantly thinking his bed is moving and he jumps up and screams. Sad. Hopefully he will get better.

Heard that he is now fully recovered and working as a cook in a hotel, with no plans of going back to sea. Wise move.....

After three days without food or water most people would be in a state of delirium, incapable of separating reality from disjointed thought.

You do not think about what you are being told to do, you will not even be able to resist, it just get's done.

I have this T-Shirt.

He is a very lucky man to get such assistance, he will recover.

(btw, I did find the Nigerian scam email post to be very funny, because he is alive, a different out come would have meant it was in incredibly bad taste, but it isn't, some need to loosen their collars a little bit)

Edited by Thaddeus

A great survival story and good news for a change, why not have a little joke about Nigerian Scammers, is not knocking the bloke... Lighten up peeps,

Hats off to him and to the team who rescued the man, all good stuff!

• Like 1