Twelve month B , work for 25,000 ok. Twelve month O pension 35,000 not ok?

Can anyone explain the logic behind these rules. If I work as a teacher for 25,000, providing I have the necessary 'qualifications' I can get a 12 month B/work permit, and presumably if the contract is rolled over every year, I can stay forever. If I have a monthly pension of 35,000 I cannot get a retirement extension unless I can show a total of 800,000. Why is this? What is the logic?If a teacher/worker can live on 25,000 per month, without showing a total annual cash availability of 800,000 why can't a non working individual, who has invested a considerable sum in property, so pays no rent, be allowed a retirement visa. Providing of course that the necessary health care cover insurance is paid. Thai families live on far less that 25,000 per month.

• Like 1

The thing with rules, is that they are just rules. There no logic behind them.

If you want to find some logic behind it, you could say that as a teacher, you're contributing to Thai society and therefore they give you a visa, even though you get only 25000B/ month income and you're not a big spender.

If somebody retires here, he's not contributing anything, except his spendings, and therefore they want to see you've enough money to spend.

Since you're in education, maybe you can do some free teaching in exchange for an ED visa. So, you teach a bit of English, and you get free Thai courses and a student visa.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2

That is how it is, nothing you can do about it........... or every person would need to be interviewed...

Myself house built 10 years ago and fully paid, so no monthly rent to pay, friend live a few Villages up from me pays monthly 6,000 baht for a 3 bedroom detached house rent.. another has a 3 bed nice Condo in BKK the rent is 75,000 baht per month, another has a nice room and pays 4,000 baht month.

You do not have to spend the 800 k, just as long as you top it up if you spend any 3 months before your yearly Extension. many do not use it at all. and live on there pension

I think Thailand system is great. I wish they use the same in Finland where I am from. I would also choose and allow people to live here who have reasonable amount money in their pockets, not someone who only use the resources and not give anything back. We have a lot of that kind of people coming to Finland from poor EU countries and people are pissed off. Think if all foreigners would be allowed to Thailand without control? Thailand would be a paradise for people who did not succeed in their life and are pretty lazy. And people who retire are going to be sick also and they need to have money to pay their hospital bills/insurances etc.

Thailand is like any other country. People basically want to keep it for only themselves but if foreigners bring something good (=money etc.), then they are ok. Otherwise you are not welcomed. Why you think you are so special that Thai goverment would want you here?

• Like 2

No it's not logical. Nor is it logical when Thais pay 100 bahts to see a waterfall and foreigners pay 400 bahts

Thais love discrimination.

They like our money but don't really want us to stay

No, the normal price is 400 baht, the locals get 300 baht discount. ;)

I have always got discount when talking some Thai and showing my Thai driving license.

• Like 1

Is it so hard to see the logic? Try to put yourself in the place of the Thai's!

If Thailand need help from educated people they will allow them to stay in the country on a Thai income, living as a Thai.

If someone wish to come here without contributing with anything, just for his own pleasure it is ok if he contribute with money. Therefore there is a demand on an income in the upper class levels, 65 000 a month. Westerners often demand a higher standard of living then Thai's and therefore they will probably spend the money. And add to Thailands economy.

If they do not have an income or a lower income than demanded it is ok if they can show same amount in cash for the the coming year e g 800 000. It is also allowed to combine the two if it add up to the same sum.

If you are married with a Thai citizen, one can assume that you live "Thai style" with a lower budget and therefore the demand is lowered to half the sum, 400000. So you can live with your family in Thailand even with a lower income.

Thailand do not want people who don't contribute with anything, people who will probably be a burden on the country and use money that could be used for Thais.

This rules are to protect their own people. Very logical!

You're missing the point, Topah.

An expat teacher working here is able to spend 25,000 bht per month, and may have his contract, if there is one, terminated with no notice and without any seemingly logical reason. A retiree on a regular pension of 35,000 a month will be able to spend 10,000 a month more, and is much more likely to have some kind of medical insurance paid for via an investment if he or she isn't too old to be acceptable to providers.

Both are worth money to the local Thai economy, but the expat retiree is a better long-term bet as the pension is open-ended and will only stop when its recipient dies.

As regards contributing to society, many experienced expat teachers in government schools believe they have little chance of this due to the education system, but at least they try. On the other hand, retirees with a regular pension income are often involved in groups who attempt to help the underprivileged in both the Thai and expat communities.

Finland, it seems, has similar problems to the UK as regards migrants, but when I lived in the multi-ethnic East End of London, I saw many official abuses perpetrated on migrants unable to help themselves due to language of health issues.

Respect for human rights is diminishing all over the world, and it'll be the death of society as we know it. Us humans have the 'law of the jungle' hard-wired into our brains from antiquity, and many don't know how to lock it away and lose the key.

I thought the minimum was meant to be 40-50k for a westerner if you wanted a NON-B but then as always people are willing to bend the rules for favours

There is no minimum salary to get a non-b visa from a embassy or consulate.

For teaching there is no minimum salary for an extension.

The minimum salary requirement only applies if you are working for a company and getting an extension under clause 2.1 of police order.

I thought the minimum was meant to be 40-50k for a westerner if you wanted a NON-B but then as always people are willing to bend the rules for favours

Teachers are exempt from the minimum salary rule.

Ok so that makes perfect sense then, they want native English people to come giving English lessons because let's face it they need them,but they don't really want retired people coming over with little to no money,

I see the point that teachers give education and money to the community and retiree can only give money. I think everyone has their own opinion depending which side of the table you are sitting about the right amount of baht you need. If you are about to retire and want to live in Thailand you want the conditions to be easy for you and if you are Thai goverment you want as much money as possible. I think they want less old people here with greater amount of money compared to more old people with less money. Very simple logic. I haven't seen any reports from Thai goverment that they want alot of foreigner retirees here with less money. Better keep the fees high and take only the people who have money. When they keep the fees high, Thailand won't be overcrowded and if the demand as a retire home is high it works like a business. Very simple. Family connections are totally different topic by the way.

You're missing the point, Topah.

An expat teacher working here is able to spend 25,000 bht per month, and may have his contract, if there is one, terminated with no notice and without any seemingly logical reason. A retiree on a regular pension of 35,000 a month will be able to spend 10,000 a month more, and is much more likely to have some kind of medical insurance paid for via an investment if he or she isn't too old to be acceptable to providers.

Both are worth money to the local Thai economy, but the expat retiree is a better long-term bet as the pension is open-ended and will only stop when its recipient dies.

As regards contributing to society, many experienced expat teachers in government schools believe they have little chance of this due to the education system, but at least they try. On the other hand, retirees with a regular pension income are often involved in groups who attempt to help the underprivileged in both the Thai and expat communities.

Finland, it seems, has similar problems to the UK as regards migrants, but when I lived in the multi-ethnic East End of London, I saw many official abuses perpetrated on migrants unable to help themselves due to language of health issues.

Respect for human rights is diminishing all over the world, and it'll be the death of society as we know it. Us humans have the 'law of the jungle' hard-wired into our brains from antiquity, and many don't know how to lock it away and lose the key.

They are making money and there is no logic if you mean by logic a reason that fits in with some fair system. They are ripping you off and they can and will continue to do so for the reason they can and you will pay because you want to stay and you will pay for it and they will benefit from it via rules and regulations that only benefit them.

The question is how much will you put up with before telling Thailand where to go. They have been pushing the boat out on this question for years and the boat is already lost at sea.

I think 1900 baht is very reasonable price. I am at same position so I don't want it to be more. Maybe if I qualifie to some other "fee" group I would take more from you and pay less myself. Like I said it is always about which side of the table you are sitting or who you are "friends" with. But everyone here can ask a questions "Why I am so important for Thailand that I should not pay anything?". Only thing we need to understand that everything works here and everywhere else with money and connections. Life is not fair is the fact number 1 to realize :D.

Topah

In my language a "fee" is a sum of money paid for a service.

The only fee I pay to the Thai Government, in return for an extension of stay based on retirement, is 1900 Bht.

Should I be paying more?

They want foreign teachers to improve the level of English, not for their contribute to tourism income. They are not bringing tourist dollars anyway because they are earning baht.

They only want retirees for their contribution to tourism income and set financial hurdles to ensure that they are able to contribute sufficient to justify a 12 month extension. Why would they want them otherwise? Like it or lump it a foreign retiree is just regarded a tourist who stays long-term but has no long-term rights and never will have. If you want that, you have to go next door to Malaysia and show B5 million in assets plus B100,000 in monthly income and get a 10 year renewal visa with rights to work part time, import a car tax free and own a plot of residential land.