Phuket: Pickup truck driver kills 18 year old boy, flees the scene

webfact

The drivers do fleed the scenes cause they probably high on drugs or drunk they know they will be caught but they most of the time they surrender the next day to the police and they apologies saying they were scared and police can't check anymore for their blood level.u understand now why in thailand most of the time when an accident occure and have death the drivers flees

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the misfortune to hit and kill someone whilst driving, you also are strongly advised to run away and to turn yourself in at a police station later, which is what the person in the article will almost certainly do. Failure to follow that rule will likely see you killed by an angry mob, it's not a matter of being irresponsible more a case of survival and common sence.

I am in Phuket.

I see many accidents.

I never saw anyone staying on site and getting beaten for causing an accident.

Where in Thailand are those beatings happening?

Isn't one of " the road rules " here in Thailand that it is prohibited from doing a u turn in the front of a school, police station and hospital ? I seem to remember getting that wrong when I got my bike and car licence .

Don't remember that rule in the 'highway code' when I sat my Thai license test.

But I do remember when I took my driving license test in Indonesia some 30 years ago that one question asked what to do in the case of a bad accident - the correct answer was drive away and report to a police station within 24 hours. That question/answer stayed with me all the years I have lived/worked in SE Asia. Must admit I can't remember that sort of question in the Thai test.

If you have the misfortune to hit and kill someone whilst driving, you also are strongly advised to run away and to turn yourself in at a police station later, which is what the person in the article will almost certainly do. Failure to follow that rule will likely see you killed by an angry mob, it's not a matter of being irresponsible more a case of survival and common sence.

I am in Phuket.

I see many accidents.

I never saw anyone staying on site and getting beaten for causing an accident.

Where in Thailand are those beatings happening?

You say you see, "many accidents" in Phuket where someone has had the, "misfortune to hit and kill someone whilst driving"? I think not!

I think the driver is totally stupid , the car is still there and I dont think it will take long time for the police to find the owner of the truck .... hard to face responsibilities , specially when you just murdered a young boy who had all his life in front of him ... sad ...

The driver made a bad move and deserves blame but the kid also made a stupid move, "traveling at a high rate of speed" apparently too fast to evade a potential problem. That's why they call it defensive driving. Sad story.

I read this sad story and try to refrain fom appointing blame or culpability. A young life was lost and another's is about to embark on a painful trip.

RIP tough man.

• Like 1

Drivers flee here, not because of fear of mob violence, although that is possible, but because the rule of law is weak and it helps in any situation if you have a load of friends and family, particularly ones who have a position of status, e.g. civil servant, police officer, army officer, teacher, etc to speak for you to the police and failing that, just a huge mob of family.

When the rule of law is weak, something other force will replace it. That's the way it is.

If YOU are involved in an accident, who can you count on?? blink.png

Look at the remains of the motorcycle. Rims as thin as bicycle rims and an aftermarket exhaust.

Sure the young man drove too fast.

Considering that almost all of our Thai friends are driving like crazy, accidents like this will happen

again and again. Wouldn't put the blame on the pick-up driver only.

• Like 1

something completely wrong whit the story.

The pick-up makes a u turn .When he comes on the other side

the motorcycle can crash on the "left" side of this pick-up .

But he smashed on the "right" side ? (foto)

So maybe the motorcycle wanted to overtake the Pick-up (on the fast lane ! a Mio? look at the foto.)

The motorcycle driver did not see the car breaking to be able to do a u-turn? (regardless the blinkers were used or not)

The motorcycle driver ,probl did see the intension of the car ,but believed that his "tattoo" and high tuned Mio would

protect him?

The pick-up driver just saw 1 white light (if the Mio's light was burning?)amids 100 other white lights in his rear-mirror.

He did nothing wrong,or how do you suggest to make a u turn?

The speeding (prepped-up)motorcycle was on the wrong lane ,too fast to adapt to traffic,he will not endanger innocent

people anymore.

Even though I have announced my deepest discontent regarding Pimp Bike Wai Loons, I see that you might have overlooked something here. The car is standing on a white solid line. This is no good news for the pickup driver since he is not supposed to cross it. However, I am pretty sure the bike did have no lights (pickup driver dod not even see him coming) and that the biker was speeding at least at 100 to 120 km/h. So the 18 year old man (is one still a "boy" with 18? means that we did send boys to Nam...) tried to swerve around the car, crossing into the opposite lane, but did not make it. In addition, I have my doubts that the U-turn was so very "sudden". As far as I see it, the biker, overestimated his ability to master this situation, feeling "cool and invincible", believing that he easily could pass the car before it finishes the turn... emphasis on "believing"...

First, to lucjoker..

The pick up could well have made a U turn from the same side of the road .ie travelling in.same lane and same direction as the bike was coming up behind it......

think about it...nothing wrong with the story at all really.

2nd to catweazel;

However, I am pretty sure the bike did have no lights (pickup driver dod not even see him coming) and that the biker was speeding at least at 100 to 120 km/h.

How can you be "pretty sure"' of no lights

Thats very presumptuous at best isn't it?

High speed is evident, sure...but no lights?

• Like 1

I think the driver is totally stupid , the car is still there and I dont think it will take long time for the police to find the owner of the truck .... hard to face responsibilities , specially when you just murdered a young boy who had all his life in front of him ... sad ...

Probably because the driver was drunk and the norm now is to run off until the next day or so until all alcohol gone, saying that disgusting behavior full stop to run off and not help some1 who is dieing because of you..

RIP

Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit. The number of vehicles I see parked outside a local drinking hole ( across the pavement forcing me to walk in the road, but that is for another rant some day ). is quite mind boggling. I am not saying they will all be drunk drivers but I would guess a number of them turn out to be so....

The driver made a bad move and deserves blame but the kid also made a stupid move, "traveling at a high rate of speed" apparently too fast to evade a potential problem. That's why they call it defensive driving. Sad story.

The way the Thais drive is SAD!!! It is a cultural and problem of national proportion.. safety is not part of their driving attitude .. I feel sorry for the loss of life but I am not surprised at all...

The way the Thais drive is SAD!!! It is a cultural and problem of national proportion.. safety is not part of their driving attitude .. I feel sorry for the loss of life but I am not surprised at all...

I dont normally post but what a load of crock from most of the replies here - a guy driving a truck does a u turn and kills a young guy on a bike. Anyone posting the crap I am reading about souped up bike going too fast etc actually there? I doubt it! . If u driving a car /bike Its the responsibility of the person making a U turn on a road to check whats coming - same in any country although in most u not allowed to make a U turn on a major road. So please stop posting utter self opinionated unknowlegable crap and get a life. RIP to the young boy on the bike - yes he may have been driving too fast but maybe the guy doing the U turn didn't indicate, take his time check who was coming - knowing how many drive here with little awareness of other road user probably and the fact he did the usual disappearing act indicates probably at fault but who knows - no one deserves to die young on the roads here.

Edited by sesdave
  • Like 1

So maybe the motorcycle wanted to overtake the Pick-up (on the fast lane ! a Mio? look at the foto.)

The motorcycle driver did not see the car breaking to be able to do a u-turn? (regardless the blinkers were used or not)

The motorcycle driver ,probl did see the intension of the car ,but believed that his "tattoo" and high tuned Mio would

protect him?

The pick-up driver just saw 1 white light (if the Mio's light was burning?)amids 100 other white lights in his rear-mirror.

The speeding (prepped-up)motorcycle was on the wrong lane ,too fast to adapt to traffic,he will not endanger innocent

people anymore.

Even though I have announced my deepest discontent regarding Pimp Bike Wai Loons, I see that you might have overlooked something here. The car is standing on a white solid line. This is no good news for the pickup driver since he is not supposed to cross it. However, I am pretty sure the bike did have no lights (pickup driver dod not even see him coming) and that the biker was speeding at least at 100 to 120 km/h. So the 18 year old man (is one still a "boy" with 18? means that we did send boys to Nam...) tried to swerve around the car, crossing into the opposite lane, but did not make it. In addition, I have my doubts that the U-turn was so very "sudden". As far as I see it, the biker, overestimated his ability to master this situation, feeling "cool and invincible", believing that he easily could pass the car before it finishes the turn... emphasis on "believing"...

Ah so you watched it happen or you are psychic? - if neither you can make up any story that fits what you want to believe - you sound like you don't like bikers. How can you possibly know the bike didnt have a light on . Who ran away after the accident - the biker or the driver - oh the driver cos the biker was dead - .in any country people who Innocents dont run away. Dont give me the ' oh he panicked crap' please.

protect him?

people anymore.

.in any country people who Innocents dont run away. Dont give me the ' oh he panicked crap' please.

Read post 15 again, this aint Kansas!

• Like 1

All this running away can be stopped if you simply claim that leaving the scene of the chrime to go anywhere other than hospital is an automatic murder charge.

A bit extreme..... but leaving the scene of an accident should of course be punished, along the lines of moreso than being caught there drunk.

And that penalty could be associated with injury to others or not.

It is going to take time and effort to improve driving standards here, but there seems to be little will to start.

• Like 1

Hmm... I think it's more a case of reporting to the Police when you are sober.

Unacceptable in any civilised country and should incur additional penalties.

OK, we live here and understand that Thailand is not civilised.

Edited by Bpuumike

This running away has been the Thai custom for at least forty years! that'swhen I first came to thailand. the taxi drivers also do this. back in 69 when a taxi driver hit someone and had a foreign passenger, if he did not also run he was held responsible because he hired the taxi! that is still p[robably the custom today!

The pick up driver might have U turned at the wrong place. Before he made a U turn, he should have signaled the back-light to show where he is going to. Glance at both side mirror and drive slower.

But most motorcycle drivers are reckless. The pick up truck driver couldn't see in his side mirror if the motorcycle is behind. He could only see both sides.

protect him?

people anymore.

Ah so you watched it happen or you are psychic? - if neither you can make up any story that fits what you want to believe - you sound like you don't like bikers. How can you possibly know the bike didnt have a light on . Who ran away after the accident - the biker or the driver - oh the driver cos the biker was dead - .in any country people who Innocents dont run away. Dont give me the ' oh he panicked crap' please.

Quite bitchy and aggressive post for a newbie with a mere 6 posts under his/her belt... Superficial as well, since nowhere in my post it says anything about the pickup driver "panicking". Get your $#it together and think before you type if you want to be taken seriously here. Thanks!

I am a biker myself and currently ride a 1.300cc cruiser, I ride bikes for 32 years now, starting when I was 16. I know what I am talking about and it appears that you, SOS-Dave, simply don't. I know exactly how these pimped racing bikes look, what kind of tuning parts are used (visible in the photos), how they work and that some of those pimp racers do up to 160km/h in those illegal races which usually are performed by useless "Wai Loon" idiot teenagers at night on deserted parts of highways, parking lots, etc. where they simply go straight just like in a drag race. There's a lot of money in there too since people bet serious money on riders and bikes. This bike was one of the illegal race bikes and none of them have working lights because all electrics considered "unnecessary" are stripped to reduce weight. Don't need to be a psychic to find out this one!

Now, coming back to my psychic abilities... I bet that you have never heard of the "Wai Loon" death races that still take place today in Bangkok, where teenagers on their pimped bikes cross an intersection to a highway, coming from a side road "Soi", at full speed without knowing if there are any cars or trucks crossing, while people are betting on whether or not the guy on the bike will make it to the opposite Soi alive or not... I am living here for 23 years now, permanently and without relying on pensions or Mama to get by, truly living AND working here, and I have seen and experienced a lot, believe me. So YOU please don't give me any crap, newbie, since you abviously don't know anything about Thailand, bikers, traffic, or anything else here in LOS.

Edited by catweazle

Quite bitchy and overemotional post for a newbie with a mere 6 posts... Superficial as well, since nowhere in my post it says anything about the pickup driver panicking. Get your $#it together and think before you type if you want to be taken seriously here. Thanks!

No, he is totally right.

• Like 1

Quite bitchy and overemotional post for a newbie with a mere 6 posts... Superficial as well, since nowhere in my post it says anything about the pickup driver panicking. Get your $#it together and think before you type if you want to be taken seriously here. Thanks!

No, he is totally right.

In the end does it really matter who is right or wrong? doesn't solve the problem of the s@@t that happens on these roads everyday.

I ride a bike and touch a lot of wood everyday, feeling that everyday ticked off means I am closer to my turn.

No, he is totally right.

In the end does it really matter who is right or wrong? doesn't solve the problem of the s@@t that happens on these roads everyday.

I ride a bike and touch a lot of wood everyday, feeling that everyday ticked off means I am closer to my turn.

No, it really does not matter, but the arm chair detectives here on TV who have the accident sorted based on their own prejudices by just looking at the photo are just plain stupid.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Well, if the boy hadn't been speeding he might still be alive. I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Edited by pacovl46