Does your partner know who Nelson Mandela was?

AhFarangJa

I don’t know about you, but I learned most of what I know, after I graduated from university.  My wife went through the same system as everyone else but seems to have broader interests than what is being implied here.

Interaction with your partner, friends, travel and reading all play a part in how worldly someone becomes.  My wife is 39 and still taking classes at the university.  You get the partner you choose to some extent but there is room to nurture their development, if one takes the time.

In facebook, Thai people compare between Nelson Mandela with Taksin. :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should Thais know much about South Africa and Mandala. the situation there is not part of their historical narrative and collective guilt.

The situation in South Africa, would have a passing comment in school and maybe a brief read at a newspaper.

I am sure that if I talked to 100 ex-pats and ask them to comment on Taksin the great,

99 of them would want to talk about Taksin Shinawatra

Edit to correct typo

Edited by sirineou

Why should Thais know much about South Africa and Mandala. the situation there is not part of their historical narrative and collective guilt.

The situation in South Africa, would have a passing comment in school and maybe a brief read at a newspaper.

I am sure that if I talked to 100 ex-pats and ask them to comment on Taksin the great,

Edit to correct typo

The reason Thais should know about him is the same reason I or you know about him.

Nelson Mandella was a Nobel peace prize winner, and has been in the news on and off for probably 30 years. There are books and movies made about him, countless international media references, UN appearances, international diplomatic efforts he was involved him, he was almost impossible to miss.

Taksin the great, whoever he is, was never in any international media reference I can recall since I started reading the newspaper and watching the news somewhere in the 80s.

Mandela was a man of our era. Among the greatest of our era without any doubt. A person in the world today who doesn't know who he was is without a doubt lacking in a decent education. Some things are basic. He most definitely transcended his own country or continent.

Perhaps it is true that most Americans also don't know who Mandela was but I actually don't think that is really true. Partly because of the link between Obama and Mandela (Mandela inspired him; not suggesting any kind of equivalence of greatness). So what? That would indicate their ignorance the same as it would with a Thai.

Edited by Jingthing

Edit to correct typo

The reason Thais should know about him is the same reason I or you know about him.

Nelson Mandella was a Nobel peace prize winner, and has been in the news on and off for probably 30 years. There are books and movies made about him, countless international media references, UN appearances, international diplomatic efforts he was involved him, he was almost impossible to miss.

Taksin the great, whoever he is, was never in any international media reference I can recall since I started reading the newspaper and watching the news somewhere in the 80s.

I dont depute that Mandella has being a highly visible player in the western political seen, And it has being a prominent player because he is part of the western historical narrative, When you and me, as westerners read about him and he becomes part of our conscience . because that historical narrative is directed at as, and feeds from our collective guilt fear, and other stimuli resulting from that narrative.

Thais have their own narrative , and Mandella is a very small part of it. , To them he does not register as highly as he registers to as, and even if he does he registers in a different manner.

The point that I am trying to make is not about Mandella, or Taskin, The point I am trying to make is that Thais and other Asians are not motivated by the same historical dynamics, and are thus subject to a different stimuli. That which they find important ,and register in their long term memory are different than that of ours. The dynamics that motivate them is to a degree different than ours.

IMO it is a very important point to remember not only because some of as live in Thailand but also because many of as are married to Thai nationals , and understanding our partners is a very important part of our relationship to them.

• Like 2

Yes my mrs has heard of him, thats it.

Thankfully she hasnt been subjected to western PC brainwashing.

How sad! - so she is another one with a closed mind !

The only brain-washing she has received is in Thailand.

If nothing else get her to read Kusang Kusom magazine - it is in Thai, not a heathen western publication - it may make for more stimulating conversation.

Its interesting that so many westerners think that Thais and other Asian countries should know about western leaders. Mandela was truly a great man and R.I.P.to him, but how many Asian leaders either alive or historical who were also great men do you know ?

Well there was Genghis Khan!? and um? the last samurai - no, no that was a movie. If you are really interested read about Chinese naval expeditions, see Gavin Menzies '1421' It might just shock you, and make you rethink history.

I doubt if you asked many young Westerners who he was they would know. They might be able at best to tell you "he was some black guy" but I doubt they'd know what he did or what his story was.

I don't recall ever being taught about Mandela at school. Some people just learn about this sort of thing through their own doing and others never do.

I can think of countless historical figures that I could mention and half my mates or family wouldn't know who they were or what I was on about - Chairman Mao, Che Guevara, Pol Pot, Ghandi, Ho Chi Minh etc etc etc.

Not exactly relevent but the girl serving me in central yesterday asked me where i was from. Her next question was "Is the UK in America?"facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif Her geography teacher needs a lesson or two himself.

I told a Thai girl we were going out for Mexican food and asked if she'd tried it before. She told me "just KFC and McDonalds", I said "but they are American fast food not Mexican" she replied "America is part of Mexico isn't it?".

I loved that! biggrin.png

Agree with your general sentiments. Nelson Mandela was a great man, but I did not learn about him in school/uni. It wasn't taught. In the US, people will generally know more about Martin Luther King than Mandela because the former was an American. And even then, there are many (mostly racists) who didn't approve of MLK. The life of Nelson Mandela was awe inspiring, but much more so to the societies that practiced extreme racism (read the west). Thailand hasn't had to deal with that social aspect, so racism isn't quite the hot issue here.

sirineou

......The point I am trying to make is that Thais and other Asians are not motivated by the same historical dynamics, and are thus subject to a different stimuli. That which they find important ,and register in their long term memory are different than that of ours. The dynamics that motivate them is to a degree different than ours.

IMO it is a very important point to remember not only because some of as live in Thailand but also because many of as are married to Thai nationals , and understanding our partners is a very important part of our relationship to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree ...mostly....Not sure about ALL Thai's.....but my wife....well...she never had the luxury of worrying about the "rest" of the world....until I met her (she was 45) ...her life consisted of SURVIVAL....Having only a 4th grade education ...she worked when she was young (mother and father died and Sister who raised her put her to work in the local factory and around the house)....Later when she got married and had 3 children she, like most housewife's took care of the family, then husband left and on her own she worked two-three jobs just to pay for food, roof, clothes and schooling for the kids,,,

Much different world here in Asia vs the West......they don't have the luxury to be so "worldly" ...we forget that Thailand is a country of 60 million people with the vast majority living on "poverty" wages.

So ...in answer to you question ....NO my wife did not know who Mandela was, nor did she know who the Beatles were, or where America is ....just about anything outside her small world of "Survival" (at which she is an "Ace")...she knew nothing...no need to.

Edited by beachproperty

Its interesting that so many westerners think that Thais and other Asian countries should know about western leaders. Mandela was truly a great man and R.I.P.to him, but how many Asian leaders either alive or historical who were also great men do you know ?

Well there was Genghis Khan!? and um? the last samurai - no, no that was a movie. If you are really interested read about Chinese naval expeditions, see Gavin Menzies '1421' It might just shock you, and make you rethink history.

Since when is South Africa part of the Western world? It's an African country.

And Nelson Mandella lived during our lifetime, and was very famous over the last 25 years, he is not some historical figure from the 14th century...

Marc Who? My wife and I know the other guys though.wink.png

Oh how I pity those with a short musical memory.

Lead singer with T Rex for the UK in the 1970s and was killed in a car crash.

I never thought tha much of him personally.

I moved to Thailand in the late 1970s so perhaps I missed a few things along the way.biggrin.png

I understand. I hope you didn't miss Queen with Freddie Mercury though.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Since when is South Africa part of the Western world? It's an African country.

And Nelson Mandella lived during our lifetime, and was very famous over the last 25 years, he is not some historical figure from the 14th century...

It was part of the Western world in the 19th and 20th centuries and several wars here fought over it between black and black people, black and white people and also white and white people.

If you think that Ghengis Khan was not a nice guy try reading about the Zulus who ruled a lot of it at one time. Men, women and children were brutally murdered or sold as slaves and their land, houses etc were laid to waste. Follow that reading with something about the Zulu wars with the Dutch and the English and also between the Dutch and the English too.

All that lot happened in the last 150 to 200 years.

Does she know Winston Churchill, Lincoln, Marc Bolan? Why should she know Mandela

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife the same, she doesn't even know who Polpot was and that was close to home. More interested in somtum and gold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The passing of Paul Walker was also very sad, but who can miss the irony of him dying in a car crash, Posted Image

Why? What has he done for the world? I did not even know who he was until he first got splattered all over a tree and then all over the press.

Do most young Americans, Brits, Germans, Aussies know who Mandela was? I doubt it.

I think you'll find they do

Does she know Winston Churchill, Lincoln, Marc Bolan? Why should she know Mandela

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife the same, she doesn't even know who Polpot was and that was close to home. More interested in somtum and gold.

Well... SHE is YOUR WIFE.

YOU CHOSE HER.

so?

Very few Thais know whats gone on in the outside world. I asked an ex of mine what Victory monument in Bangkok was for and she didn`t know. Took her to see movie Valkyrie some years ago and she asked if this Hitler guy was for real.

WOW...

YOU are very SO knowledgeable..

EDIT

By the way... do Thais know how to breath?

Edited by ravip

I asked my wife who did not know who he was so I explained that he was a Marxist terrorist who has been promoted to God-like status by the western liberal media.

We ALL should promote you to the status of... hmmm... GOD

" I asked an ex of mine what Victory monument in Bangkok was for and she didn`t know. "

Well... who is at fault?

There is an ancient Chinese proverb... Throw peanuts and you get monkeys.

So... the society you are moving around is kinda questionable, isn't it?

So... again... think about yourself.

tongue.png