University groups trying to mobilise huge crowd

Lite Beer

University groups trying to mobilise huge crowd
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters from or affiliated with four top universities in Bangkok are using social network sites to mobilise more people for tomorrow's protest.

The move came as arguments erupted at the four universities - Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Kasetsart and Srinakarinwirot - about the role of their top administrators in politics. Charnvit Tiamboonprasert, an associate professor and leader of the Love Thailand group at Srinakarinwirot University, said protesters in Asoke, Silom and Phetchaburi roads where the campus is located, would join the protest tomorrow morning, although the group had earlier agreed to hold a protest on Tuesday.

He said the group would gather at 9am and then head towards Government House to express their opposition to the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Charnvit said if the government didn't accept the demands made by the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), the least he expected was for it to create the so-called People's Council. The government could then dissolve the House, or the prime minister could resign. Sophon Supaphong, an alumnus of the university, urged others to join the protests tomorrow, calling Monday, "V Day".

On Facebook, many alumni and students were busy sharing photos and information about tomorrow morning's protest march. Some, like King Mongkut's University of Technology in Thonburi, even asked protesters to wear orange, the university colour.

Anti-government protesters affiliated with Chulalongkorn University, meanwhile, spread messages on social networking sites for protesters to assemble on the university lawn at 9am, wearing pink, the university colour, before marching on Government House. One protester noted of the internet: "This is the last chance. We can lose."

Silpakorn University members who oppose the government plan to gather at 8.30am on the university campus.

As for Thammasat University, students and faculty members who oppose the administration not only asked its members to assemble at the university before joining other protesters, but requested they bring along water and protective gear to protect themselves from the affects of tear gas.

Prof Pirom Kamolratanakul, president of Chulalongkorn University, said it was the political right of the university's members to express themselves, and the administrators would not interfere in their activities. He said the administrators would meet to decide how much longer classes should be suspended

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-08

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From all accounts I have from Thais and the rumor mill, the protest is to be mmmmaaasssiiivvveee! We'll see.

Oh dear! Still dreaming of your "million man march", eh? Now whatever became of that?

Actually, packing the demo with these student thugs will only ensure that it will become violent, as did the last student attack on police HQ. Is this what Suthep wants? Blood on the streets could be his last chance to get the Army involved, the only way that he will ever win.

Hope all the grannies know that they will almost certainly be tear-gassed as a result of this.

A bunch of college students protesting against the staus quo imagine that, I'll bet thats the first time this sort of thing ever happenedcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The fact that Suthep and his cronies have to go out rouse these students into action speaks volumes about the lack of support for this movement! I guess it wasn't enough for Suthep to hide behind womens skirts now he's recruiting teenagers to stand on the front linesrolleyes.gif

I guess you must have missed October 14th 1973

Ya beat me too it Peter ...

VegasVic .. for quick history lesson google "Thailand students protest 1970's"

Then come back a make a more informed posting

• Like 2

A bunch of college students protesting against the staus quo imagine that, I'll bet thats the first time this sort of thing ever happenedcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20> The fact that Suthep and his cronies have to go out rouse these students into action speaks volumes about the lack of support for this movement! I guess it wasn't enough for Suthep to hide behind womens skirts now he's recruiting teenagers to stand on the front linesrolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>

Pete, Look up the word facetious in the dictionaryrolleyes.gif College students in every generation in every country only need the drop of a hat to protest against something, the fact that this movement has to go out and actively recruit these students does indeed speak volumes about the lack of widespread support for Suthep and his band of cronieswai.gif

• Like 2

A bunch of college students protesting against the staus quo imagine that, I'll bet thats the first time this sort of thing ever happenedcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20> The fact that Suthep and his cronies have to go out rouse these students into action speaks volumes about the lack of support for this movement! I guess it wasn't enough for Suthep to hide behind womens skirts now he's recruiting teenagers to stand on the front linesrolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>

Ya beat me too it Peter ...

VegasVic .. for quick history lesson google "Thailand students protest 1970's"

Then come back a make a more informed posting

LL, I see you also need to look up the word facetious in the dictionaryrolleyes.gif When you do, please come back with a more informed post yourself there my friendwhistling.gif

It's good to see the students taking an interest in domestic-politics, as they do in so many other countries, but how will the Big Boss decide to try to discourage them ?

Threats, violence, or moral persuasion that 'right' is on his side ? whistling.gif

Perhaps it might be wise to issue orders to shut-down these pesky social-media, for a few days at least, along with BlueSky-TV ?

Send for former-DPM Super-Chalerm ! rolleyes.gif

The anti-government Thammasat Vice Rector certainly seemed to be threatening students that take an interest in domestic politics when he vowed to 'trample' Aum Neko with his feet.

This has been noted by Sunai of Human Rights Watch:

Sunai @sunaibkk 6 Dec

Shockingly similar opinion of Thammasat vice rector & notorious gangster "Nae Wat Dao". Both want to beat up student activist Aum Neko.

See this for more details. Though I don't think Thaksin is a friend of critical thought and free speech, neither are those who lead & support the whistleblowers*. As for righteousness and moral persuasion, have you been following Suthep's speeches or talked to any of the anti-govt people? It's almost inconceivable anyone could be more convinced of their own moral superiority. In their minds, they are the 'kon dee' (good people) that love the nation, whilst the other side are just ill-educated fools and lackeys of Thaksin who aren't real Thais.

And your comment about social media is ironic, given the only person I've heard suggest that in recent times is Democrat spokeswoman Mallika Boonmetrakun, who called for Facebook and Youtube to be blocked a couple of years back. She's one of the biggest supporters of the anti-govt movement if you read her social media updates. Her most recent gaffe was her suggestion that it was a good thing for people to blow a whistle at PM Yingluck's son.

Has Blue Sky been shut down, incidentally?

*Not all, of course. There are surely some amongst them who consider themselves liberal and are willing to listen to alternative opinions. But there's a sense that many of the people in the movement are so sure they're right that anyone who offers an alternate view will be ignored or treated aggressively (not necessarily physically, but verbal hostility). The movement also continually invokes those same old themes: nationalism, royalism and moral purity, the traditional hallmarks of right-wing movements in Thai history. Would that there be a real democratic movement, beholden neither to Thaksin or to these conservatives that would suppress anyone who thinks differently. There is a high degree of depressing conformity in both movements.

• Like 2

Its about time the students mobilized in numbers,after all

its their country and future.

I don't believe the Democracy we have here is for the benefit

of the people,by the people,its a pseudo Democracy for the

benefit of one man,his family and cronies.

regards Worgeordie

It's simply day 3 of a four day holiday for the students.

If they are daft enough to be sucked in by Suthep's rhetoric it's their choice.

A bunch of college students protesting against the staus quo imagine that, I'll bet thats the first time this sort of thing ever happenedcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The fact that Suthep and his cronies have to go out rouse these students into action speaks volumes about the lack of support for this movement! I guess it wasn't enough for Suthep to hide behind womens skirts now he's recruiting teenagers to stand on the front linesrolleyes.gif

You honestly believe that this is the same situation?

I takje it you are fom the USA? Maybe your brain is affected but I recall many students uprising in the USA causing GOVERNMENT policies to change... ummm Vietnam, Stonewall marches, martin Luther King to name but a few.

A bunch of college students can change the world. In fact one dumb ass college student who never had a degree invested the technology for YOU and me and others to write here. Now who was that Mr Vegas? maybe your comments are best left on roulette wheels.

It is admirable people want to see fairness in their country and we as visitors to should refrain from criticizing them as they try to achieve what we yes WE are more fortunate to enjoy as a RIGHT!

20 years after finishing college, I now realize how naive we all were.

• Like 1

It's good to see the students taking an interest in domestic-politics, as they do in so many other countries, but how will the Big Boss decide to try to discourage them ?

Threats, violence, or moral persuasion that 'right' is on his side ? whistling.gif

Perhaps it might be wise to issue orders to shut-down these pesky social-media, for a few days at least, along with BlueSky-TV ?

Send for former-DPM Super-Chalerm ! rolleyes.gif

The anti-government Thammasat Vice Rector certainly seemed to be threatening students that take an interest in domestic politics when he vowed to 'trample' Aum Neko with his feet.

This has been noted by Sunai of Human Rights Watch:

Sunai @sunaibkk 6 Dec

Shockingly similar opinion of Thammasat vice rector & notorious gangster "Nae Wat Dao". Both want to beat up student activist Aum Neko.

See this for more details. Though I don't think Thaksin is a friend of critical thought and free speech, neither are those who lead & support the whistleblowers*. As for righteousness and moral persuasion, have you been following Suthep's speeches or talked to any of the anti-govt people? It's almost inconceivable anyone could be more convinced of their own moral superiority. In their minds, they are the 'kon dee' (good people) that love the nation, whilst the other side are just ill-educated fools and lackeys of Thaksin who aren't real Thais.

And your comment about social media is ironic, given the only person I've heard suggest that in recent times is Democrat spokeswoman Mallika Boonmetrakun, who called for Facebook and Youtube to be blocked a couple of years back. She's one of the biggest supporters of the anti-govt movement if you read her social media updates. Her most recent gaffe was her suggestion that it was a good thing for people to blow a whistle at PM Yingluck's son.

Has Blue Sky been shut down, incidentally?

*Not all, of course. There are surely some amongst them who consider themselves liberal and are willing to listen to alternative opinions. But there's a sense that many of the people in the movement are so sure they're right that anyone who offers an alternate view will be ignored or treated aggressively (not necessarily physically, but verbal hostility). The movement also continually invokes those same old themes: nationalism, royalism and moral purity, the traditional hallmarks of right-wing movements in Thai history. Would that there be a real democratic movement, beholden neither to Thaksin or to these conservatives that would suppress anyone who thinks differently. There is a high degree of depressing conformity in both movements.

"Would that there be a real democratic movement, beholden neither to Thaksin or to these conservatives"

Something we definitely agree upon. thumbsup.gif

BlueSky's closure has been threatened by FM-Surapong, as head of CAPO, no less. Although it hasn't yet happened, but it does demonstrate the way the Reds have moved away from fighting for freedom-of-speech, since they themselves were in-opposition.

On Thursday night he was also reported as having ordered the arrest of executives of Blue Sky, for the 'crime' of supporting Suthep.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686989-thai-govt-readjusts-response-to-protests;-time-for-talk-finished/#entry7126673

It feels more like 1984, than 2013, doesn't it ? sad.png

There is much about Suthep's current position, which I personally do not agree with, I think he's been backed-into-a-corner by Tharit & Thaksin, but I would still say that the people coming out to demonstrate their view that it's now time for a change is a good thing, especially if it strengthens PM-Yingluck's hand when she offers new elections within 60-days, despite the PTP-MPs-meeting and her own family's views, expressed both privately & in public.

Time for an election !