Bad manners? Do you pick your nose in public? Or spit mucus? Etc.

quiuvo

I have lived in a number of countries in East and Southeast Asia over the years and I always found the Thais to be the most graceful and immensely more trustworthy when it comes to things like petty theft. If you are a male and have been getting around Malay communities (Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines) you have probably noticed that local males always feel compelled to get your attention (in a rude way) or laugh at you for no reason, especially when in a group. I could never quite understand what kick they got out of it. This has never happened to me in Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar or Laos and neither in Vietnam, China or Korea. The conditions of public toilets is another good example... I do not think I have seen any toilet anywhere in Thailand like what you sometimes see in other places in Asia... even in developed places such as Singapore (although Singapore has improved a lot in recent years). Yes, I have seen the nose-picking thing in Thailand and sure is it disgusting but - at least the city people are generally the cleanest I have come across anywhere in Asia ex Japan... and another thing I would like to add: it appears to me that leaving the toilet without washing your hands is equally as disgusting and in that discipline the Brits seem to hold the record. I have hardly ever seen one washing his hands.

So every time you see someone leaving a toilet without washing their hands you ask them what nationality they are ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must admit, I do now pick my nose in public, but one disgusting habit I never do - blowing my nose into a cloth handkerchief and then put in in my pocket to use later.

So you leave it stuck to your finger instead of hidden inside a cloth.........Hmmmmmmmmmm, ............bah.gif

Must admit, I do now pick my nose in public, but one disgusting habit I never do - blowing my nose into a cloth handkerchief and then put in in my pocket to use later.

So you leave it stuck to your finger instead of hidden inside a cloth.........Hmmmmmmmmmm, ............bah.gif

No, either ping it or dispose of it another way.

No, either ping it or dispose of it another way.

So it was yours stuck under my chair eh.................bah.gif

Thailand is a Less Developed Country. In time they will achieve the same standard of healthy living followed by westerners and will adhere to a code of manners when in public that won't cause others offense.

obese-man.jpg

PATHETIC, off topic reply from a thai apologist

I have found that my nose tends to feel a bit full at times but usually after being out and about. I really think it is entirely due to all the dust and crap in the air here as I also have to wash my eyes out every few days as well due to the grit in them. Probably gets worse when I have been riding the scooter around too, there is always so much crap in the air here. Just look around your house and you soon see how much dust settles on everything, also take note of how many thais use the little bottles of vapour(vicks etc) to clear their noses so they can breathe. I know I go through a few hankies a week but havent resorted to digging for the little buggers yet, hard enough seeing everyone else doing itbah.gif