Bad manners? Do you pick your nose in public? Or spit mucus? Etc.

quiuvo

After years here I find myself picking my nose with no tissue at my apt. Not in public yet.

In public I see plenty a Thai using their fingers and then staring at them to see if they got something from the cavity! Gross I think.

If I feel itchy, ok just rub it.

I don't spit, especially in public.

I don't fart in public. I'm an old fart but that is another matter.

• Like 2

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Thailand, pointing with your feet is frowned upon. So is touching other people on the head, or showing displeasure at something.

True, but I don't think you can spread diseases by pointing with your feet ....

The grossest acts that I've seen are in Myanmar, where every man, woman and child spits betalnut juice. My fantasies about beautiful, young Myanmar women took a hit when I saw them retching up great lumps of red phlegm...

Simon

I will admit that picking my nose while driving,

Yeah with the long wait at Bkk traffic lights it gives me a chance for a bit of personal grooming. Picking my nose, rearranging my "undercarriage" etc. I recall sitting in the back of a a taxi once and at a set of lights the old bloke got out a set of tweezers and started pulling out all the errant hairs on his chin. Lights turned green and he was still preening so I had to give him a gentle " Khun Lung Khap...."

Although I must admit that when I worked in the hotel industry it got a bit much when occasionally Chinese guests used to bring up a grolly and flob it on the carpet in the lift.

Edited by mca

Pretty much everyone picks their nose and spits, but Westerners usually try to conceal it. Hiding it does not make it more sanitary.

a3989i0_picker-185.jpg

using a tissue does make it more sanitary. I don't want transferred snot DNA in my food.Is that too much to ask in a country with a focus on high-end tourism?

I am guessing that you have never worked in a restaurant. Cooks put their hands on your food after taking a dump and not washing their hands. They sneeze in the pancake batter and they drop meat on the floor and serve it to you anyway. If you piss someone off, they spit in your cheeseburger. You are getting nasty stuff in your food, regardless if you like it, or not.

• Like 1

I will admit that picking my nose while driving,

bursting a pimple at a red light,

spitting mucus and eating rice every day

allows me to assimilate into Thai society

and thereby making me............................... comfortably numb. biggrin.png

'Just a little pin prick'

After years here I find myself picking my nose with no tissue at my apt. Not in public yet.

Not in public yet? You should liberate yourself and come out as raging rhinotillexomaniac.

It's not all bad, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose-picking

Call me weird but I don't want other people,s snot remnants, DNA , whatever in my food or transferred to my hands from any number of sources. If I want DNA transfer I want to choose from whom it came and the orifice involved. Never the nose. Not with my coffee

Oh my god, what country did you come from? If you think that you have not swallowed or eaten at least a thousand boogers in your life time you are delusional. The best thing about this country is you can see them doing it so can make the decision not to eat/drink in that establishment. In the West we quietly do it behind the doors so you do not see it. But rest assured even in 5 star restaurants boogers, snot, saliva, and other bodily fluids have made their way to your plate or cup.

• Like 2

Not in public yet? You should liberate yourself and come out as raging rhinotillexomaniac.

Call me weird but I don't want other people,s snot remnants, DNA , whatever in my food or transferred to my hands from any number of sources. If I want DNA transfer I want to choose from whom it came and the orifice involved. Never the nose. Not with my coffee

Oh my god, what country did you come from? If you think that you have not swallowed or eaten at least a thousand boogers in your life time you are delusional. The best thing about this country is you can see them doing it so can make the decision not to eat/drink in that establishment. In the West we quietly do it behind the doors so you do not see it. But rest assured even in 5 star restaurants boogers, snot, saliva, and other bodily fluids have made their way to your plate or cup.

Well, Thanks for that information. I'm now putting on my headphones for The Carpenters' Greatest Hits, The Barry Manilow Songbook and Perry Como's Christmas album, hoping to put that information overload out of my mind.......

• Like 2

So true. Having worked in various restaurants in the west, I can confirm this. Ignorance is truly bliss to certain farangs in the LOS.

biggrin.png 'Boogers'

How old are you?

biggrin.png 'Boogers'

How old are you?

Curtis Spicoli: Dad says you have to get up

Jeff Spicoli: LEAVE ME ALONE!

Curtis Spicoli: Dad says you're gonna be late again you butthole!

Jeff Spicoli: LEAVE ME ALONE!

Curtis Spicoli: Dad says you're gonna be late again you booger!

and if you have to ask who are Jeff and Curtis Spicoli are.....???

• Like 1

It gives a little more flavor to your food, if they took out the 'boogers' Thai food would be bland...

Why do Thais openly empty their noses with no abandon?, yet when they use a toothpick, they are so discreet, weird eh?

But not really.

They got one 'utensil' for picking the teeth and another for the nose. That perfectly pruned and manicured nail on the little finger seems to be most aptly designed. You know, the one normally brown or yellow-like! biggrin.png

What bothers me more than mucus in my nose is the hair growing inside my nose instead of outside my scalp.

Looking at Thai persons you see them pressing their pimples, digging for gold in their noses or sniffing those smelly sticks whenever they have their hands free and not using their cell phones for a minute.

It's so amusing.

Nose picking is one of the great underrated pleasures of mankind, ranking only behind masturbation and sneezing.

My daily morning ritual is a cup of coffee in one hand, a good book on my lap and my other hand blissfully excavating my nostrils.

Nice to meet honest people.

• Like 1

Nose picking is one of the great underrated pleasures of mankind, ranking only behind masturbation and sneezing.

My daily morning ritual is a cup of coffee in one hand, a good book on my lap and my other hand blissfully excavating my nostrils.

You, Sir, should pay 1,000 Baht to the poor box at your local temple. Please wash your hands before doing so

Thais consider it rude to blow your nose!

They prefer slurping the snot up your nose, into your mouth and then swallowing it!

Surprisingly, I once heard a well respected Doctor on a radio talk show in the U.S. say that this was the preference in most of Asia, and that medically speaking , it is healthier than blowing your nose into a tissue.

post-147745-0-37534600-1386561090_thumb.