Bad manners? Do you pick your nose in public? Or spit mucus? Etc.

quiuvo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After years here I find myself picking my nose with no tissue at my apt. Not in public yet.

Not in public yet? You should liberate yourself and come out as raging rhinotillexomaniac.

It's not all bad, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose-picking

Call me weird but I don't want other people,s snot remnants, DNA , whatever in my food or transferred to my hands from any number of sources. If I want DNA transfer I want to choose from whom it came and the orifice involved. Never the nose. Not with my coffee

Oh my god, what country did you come from? If you think that you have not swallowed or eaten at least a thousand boogers in your life time you are delusional. The best thing about this country is you can see them doing it so can make the decision not to eat/drink in that establishment. In the West we quietly do it behind the doors so you do not see it. But rest assured even in 5 star restaurants boogers, snot, saliva, and other bodily fluids have made their way to your plate or cup.

Well, Thanks for that information. I'm now putting on my headphones for The Carpenters' Greatest Hits, The Barry Manilow Songbook and Perry Como's Christmas album, hoping to put that information overload out of my mind.......

Does this thread offer any clues as to the current perplexing state of the human condition ?

I have lived in a number of countries in East and Southeast Asia over the years and I always found the Thais to be the most graceful and immensely more trustworthy when it comes to things like petty theft. If you are a male and have been getting around Malay communities (Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines) you have probably noticed that local males always feel compelled to get your attention (in a rude way) or laugh at you for no reason, especially when in a group. I could never quite understand what kick they got out of it. This has never happened to me in Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar or Laos and neither in Vietnam, China or Korea. The conditions of public toilets is another good example... I do not think I have seen any toilet anywhere in Thailand like what you sometimes see in other places in Asia... even in developed places such as Singapore (although Singapore has improved a lot in recent years). Yes, I have seen the nose-picking thing in Thailand and sure is it disgusting but - at least the city people are generally the cleanest I have come across anywhere in Asia ex Japan... and another thing I would like to add: it appears to me that leaving the toilet without washing your hands is equally as disgusting and in that discipline the Brits seem to hold the record. I have hardly ever seen one washing his hands.

I pick my nose when not many people around.

I spit like an old chinese.

I am burping loud.

And before farting I look around me - but than always somebody coming and want to talk with me ....

When you are in Rome do like the romans do !

I was in Big-C in Udon last month when in walks a fellow who looked like he was fresh in town from the mountains. He took a leak in the urinal beside me and while walking towards the sink afterwards he turns around and spits a big honker in the floor behind me and proceeds to the wash basin. There he holds a finger to close each nostril while he blows his snot all over the top of the wash basin...not in the sink, but all over the counter top. Then he washes off his face and slings water all over the mirror, cabinet top and floor...and then struts out of the toilet with a proud look on his face as if he were a dog that had just marked his territory. As if my opinion of the Thai male wasn't already tarnished enough, this guy's behavior left an indelible mark on my mind that I won't soon forget.

If you are a male and have been getting around Malay communities (Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines) you have probably noticed that local males always feel compelled to get your attention or laugh at you for no reason, especially when in a group. I could never quite understand what kick they got out of it.

Maybe it was because you were dressed like this Stefan mate.....

happy-clown-thumbs-up-14047640.jpg

I will never forget the time I arrived at Thaiair check in to see a beautiful, young lady in full work uniform sitting behind the counter with her finger up her nose to the second knuckle. When I presented my passport she simply withdrew the finger, Wai'd and carried on with my check in. Mai pen rai......

I usually have a crack when stuck in traffic and have been known to hock the odd loogy into the gutter or the bushes, but I do take exception to, and have nearly come to blows with the predominently german folk who insist on hoiking their gollies into the swimming pool at our condo. <deleted>?? We all swim in the same pool!! What are they thinking??

It is gross beyond belief. Not only disgusting, filthy, vile habit, it spreads disease. I reel back in horror when I see it with food handlers ( it's so common in restaurants), supermarkets, 7-11, Starbucks.....the very last time I went in one, the server had her finger so far up her nose it was in the (probably largely vacant) brain cavity. I walk out. Thais are so clean in most respects but have this snot obsession. It's repulsive. Should be fined 500 Baht

They do if they flick it on the sidewalk...............laugh.png

I dislike the servers in the restaurant stood in the corner squeezing each others zits !

laugh.png Apart from the fact he's dead I've got a sneaking suspicion you're not the real Michael Jackson are you mate?

And that's not Thai bashing or generalising...I mean 97.5%. It's the equivalent of a national sport. Thailand is ranked first in the world, ahead of China

I disagree, Vietnam is definitely WAY ahead of Thailand, lol. At least Thais try to be more subtle about it. When I lived in Saigon, Vietnamese baristas would be taking your order and picking their nose, groups of men would be standing around in circles watching each other pick their noses (and this from a country who wants to be respected by the world!) I haven't seen behavior as gauche as when I was there. So, I think Thailand is a lot more tame in terms of nose picking than other countries.

I dislike the servers in the restaurant stood in the corner squeezing each others zits !

laugh.png Apart from the fact he's dead I've got a sneaking suspicion you're not the real Michael Jackson are you mate?

Noooo, MJ never picked his nose..........laugh.png

• Like 1

Noooo, MJ never picked his nose..........laugh.png

True. It was pre-selected for him by his assistants....

If you are a male and have been getting around Malay communities (Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines) you have probably noticed that local males always feel compelled to get your attention or laugh at you for no reason, especially when in a group. I could never quite understand what kick they got out of it.

Maybe it was because you were dressed like this Stefan mate.....

happy-clown-thumbs-up-14047640.jpg

Ahh... you may have a point... thanks.... what was your name again... Diego.... or was it... Sutrisno.... or Ismail?

What about using their hand to clean their...and may or may not washing their hands after using the restroom? I lost my appetites every time when I think about it. I also don't quite figure out why Thai men like to have long fingernail especially their pinky finger. It grosses me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Squeezing their zits on their face whilst sitting on their motorbikes.

I was in the loo at Big C in Udon Thani when a KFC member of staff came in, had a piss, picked his nose over the wash basin, smoothed the gel on his hair with water and left without washing his hands. I will never eat there again. F*****g gross

"Thailand is a Less Developed Country. In time they will achieve the same standard of healthy living followed by westerners and will adhere to a code of manners when in public that won't cause others offense"

Dream on they will never change mannerisms no matter how wealthy they may become.

Squeezing their zits on their face whilst sitting on their motorbikes.

I was in the loo at Big C in Udon Thani when a KFC member of staff came in, had a piss, picked his nose over the wash basin, smoothed the gel on his hair with water and left without washing his hands. I will never eat there again. F*****g gross

You do know about the Domino's Pizza boys and what they put in the food.cheesy.gif Kind of makes hair gel seem OK.