Crossing into Thailand on motorbike purchased in Vietnam.

papa al

Probably be OK if you are willing to pay the duties.

But to get from Vietnam to Thailand you have to cross through Laos or Cambodia, and you don't want to be paying the duty twice, so read up on a "Carnet de passage"

Unless this bike holds a lot of sentimental value, then you;d probably be better off forgetting about the idea.

• Like 2

As long as you have proper paperwork for the bike, you should be fine.

Friend of mine drove here from snookyville on his Khmer registered bike, no problem, just had to buy Thai insurance at the border.

During my years on Samui I have seen trail bikes with UK , Aussie and German number plates.

Passing through on their way UK-AUS or the opposite.

No duties paid.

For a temporary visit?

Don't plan on keeping the bike in Thailand.

Is the Registration documentation in your name - really?

It's not easy for a foreigner (if you are) to own a bike or car in VN.

If so, then it should be possible, at least in theory.

Leaving VN should be OK, but Cambodia are not up to speed on the procedures.

If you get that far, entering Thailand should be OK too if the paperwork is all in order.

Be sure to keep all papers safe for when you go back to VN or you won't get the bike back in.

But to get from Vietnam to Thailand you have to cross through Laos or Cambodia, and you don't want to be paying the duty twice, so read up on a "Carnet de passage"

Unless this bike holds a lot of sentimental value, then you;d probably be better off forgetting about the idea.

Since the OP would obviously going through Laos and Cambodia on a tourist visa, why would there be duties to be paid? I went the other way. Traveled from Thailand into Cambodia on tourist visa. with my motorbike. Upon showing my Greenbook at the border, immigration simply filled out a one page form, (no cost to me), and into Cambodia I went. No problem on the exit either. No one even looked at my motorbike. very easy.

A lot will have to do with engine capacity ( engine CC 100 or 750cc ) coming from vietnam umm think there could be a problem ok vietnam to laos as I have rode that but getting the bike into thailand

gave up and sold it

Vietnam to Cambodia piece of cake, plenty of Vietnam bikes in Cambodia.

Cambodia to Thailand, as long as the bike is in your name it will be no problem for 1 month, Just do the paperwork at the border, and u will need buy insurance. I have heard people that cross at Poi Pet being asked to leave their bikes at the border and take a tuk tuk into town, buy their insurance an head back to get their bikes.

Noen of the mentioned countries are CDP land - so dont think about that.

However it might be difficulties along the way still. Seek advise on GT-riders forum or Horizons unlimiterd forum....theres a huge knowledge base on both these forums.

But as others have mentioned - you cant keep the bike in Thailand for a long time. Just a temporary visit will be fine.

Edited by Mangkhut

As long as you have proper paperwork for the bike, you should be fine.

Friend of mine drove here from snookyville on his Khmer registered bike, no problem, just had to buy Thai insurance at the border.

During my years on Samui I have seen trail bikes with UK , Aussie and German number plates.

Passing through on their way UK-AUS or the opposite.

No duties paid.

Had to buy Thai insurance at the border? They have a facility for this? I rode a bike up from Singapore two years ago, through Malaysia and don't recall having to buy Thai insurance... however, it was logged on the immigration computer that I came in via this motorbike and couldn't leave the country without it unless I had special paperwork exempting me from doing so.

I met an American girl here in Phuket 2 years ago who drove here on a bike she bought in Vietnam. She didn't mention the particulars about bringing the bike across the borders, but she didn't mention having any problems either. It was a cheap bike and she was on a very low budget so I'm sure it didn't cost her very much.

same as when one rides/drives a car/motorycle into Malaysia or Laos from Thailand., No one tells you YOU HAVE to buy insurance or asks you to BUT if ur stopped and dont have it.... your screwed

I have crossed from Thailand into Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia this year and have met up with people with Thai, Laos, Chinese and Vietnamese plates in diferent countries and all have done allright nor have I encountered any problems BUT you need to know which borders to use

Check out GT-riders for the most up to date bike info an border crossing info

Ignorance of the law wont save you.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I met an American girl here in Phuket 2 years ago who drove here on a bike she bought in Vietnam. She didn't mention the particulars about bringing the bike across the borders, but she didn't mention having any problems either. It was a cheap bike and she was on a very low budget so I'm sure it didn't cost her very much.

You can't drive a bike.

You ride a motorbike

Thank you all for for the responses.

I have traveled in SE Asia via car, boat, plane, bus, and animal, but prefer small motorcycles.

Ideally I'd like to loop through Cambodia, VN, Laos, back to Thailand, but crossing into VN seems impracticable.

Craigslist Vietnam lists many bikes for $200-400.

Apparently when a vehicle is sold there, the title is given to the buyer but he change is not registered with the government.

I was considering flying to VN, buying a bike, touring there, and driving/riding back to LOS.

I was just going to abandon the bike to friends in Isaan village, who don't really bother about licenses, registration, or insurance.

I guess I could get into trouble for this somehow (?), as Immigration would have a record of me bringing it into Thailand.

So I guess I'll just resell the bike while in VN and return by other mode.

Maybe things will open up when ASEAN treaty kicks in.

Maybe.

Aussieroaming: I have a license issued by the Kingdom of Thailand to operate a private motorcycle.

At the the top reads: DRIVERS LICENSE.

Could you please contact the appropriate government officials to see about getting this nomenclature corrected.

Thanks

Edited by papa al

I don't know about motorcycles, but Vietnamese cars can't enter Thailand, just like Thai cars can't enter Vietnam except on a caravan tour. Motorcycles might be different though, but I have never seen even one Vietnamese bike in Thailand, ever. You might just be one of the first, if you make it.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Thank you all for for the responses.

I have traveled in SE Asia via car, boat, plane, bus, and animal, but prefer small motorcycles.

Ideally I'd like to loop through Cambodia, VN, Laos, back to Thailand, but crossing into VN seems impracticable.

Craigslist Vietnam lists many bikes for $200-400.

Apparently when a vehicle is sold there, the title is given to the buyer but he change is not registered with the government.

I was considering flying to VN, buying a bike, touring there, and driving/riding back to LOS.

................................................................................

A friend and I did a bike trip from Hanoi to HCMC.

We came to the conclusion that it was not possible to get our own bikes in from Thailand/Cambodia, so we flew into Hanoi and bought bikes in a bike market.

We received a copy of a registration document showing that it belonged to a Viet and a receipt showing that we'd bought it.

For a tourist it isn't possible to own a vehicle AFAIK.

The bikes were re-manufactured with new Chinese parts, cost about $400 and were re-sold (one in Nha Trang and one in HCMC) for about $200 five weeks later.

Basically, we did the trip on bikes which we did not own, without insurance and without acceptable DLs.

I don't believe there's any legal way we would have got those bikes into Thailand, but then we never intended to.

• Like 1