Traveling by train to Vientiane

I have just booked Nong Khai return this morning. Must have made the trip over 30 times already and still love it. I miss the old fan carriages but the second class aircon carriages are better for sleeping. When awake I sit in the buffet car drinking beer, and watching the show. Never travelled first class as who wants to sit by themselves or with a stranger for 12 hours.

Still amounts to a real Asian travel experience which is getting harder to find these days (although derailments seem to be becoming more of a feature of Thai rail travel these days).

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

second class aircon carriages ,, think they might be a little cold this time of year.

saying that, If you spend many hours in the buffet car,, drinking your self into a stupor, like I normally do. then you want notice the cold smile.png

If you want there is are shops ,, by the bridge,,, think they will charge you 200- 300 baht,, they will even go with you and hold your hand,,, Could be well worth the money,, if you have not done it before,,smile.png

There are Tuk Tuks at Nong Khai station who will take you to the Thai side of Friendship Bridge. Go through Thai checkout and jump on

bus to go over bridge (20 baht)

At the Lao customs you will have to fill in forms and provide 1 photo Cost 1500 baht or $30 us. If it's not too busy it will

take about 20 minutes for the visa.

On the Lao side there are a number of transport choices to get into the city. cheapest is bus about 50 baht, taxi 500 baht.

Don't discount Nong Khai it's a nice town for a chill out stay. Bungalows and hotel rooms from 400 baht.

As for the rail journey from Bangkok hmmmmmmmmmmmm It's very slow and noisy. VIP coach is more comfortable

You'll find trip reports etc from people doing visa runs in the Visa section.

Personally I think you are crazy! Or maybe enjoy that distance by train etc, I'm too old for that crap.

I love a post that questions a persons mental state and then refers to the end result of eating food.

For some reason, the following comes to mind:

Overweight

Negative

Large beer bottle

Sleeveless shirt

Unkempt

Multiple and failed relationships

Bitter

Personal inventory way overdue

Low self esteem

Educated but forgot much of it

Uncivil

Not pointing fingers mind you. Just a vision.

• Like 2

second class aircon carriages ,, think they might be a little cold this time of year.

saying that, If you spend many hours in the buffet car,, drinking your self into a stupor, like I normally do. then you want notice the cold smile.png

Drinking oneself into a frequent stupor will most likely put one on a runaway express, with no engineer, on a one way track, with the last stop at a morgue, jail, hospital, or asylum.

Good luck.

On Day At A Time.

• Like 1

What about stamps? passport checkpoints etc?

How does the whole thing work?

I have the sense that you have not really got the info that you want. Are you on the #77 which arrives at 5am the next morning?

There are two options but you excluded the 2nd by taking the 1st O/N train which arrives very early.

The Nong Khai station is approximately 1.5km SE from the Thai Immigration Checkpoint at Friendship Bridge (Hours are 6am - 10pm). As Sa_ngop stated tuk tuk to the bridge (or a nice morning walk given you have until 6am if you don't have much luggage) go thru Thai Immigration then take the shuttle bus across the bridge (20 baht as stated).

Pay your Laos Visa Fee in US$ $30 or the more expensive 1200 baht. If you don't have a pic for the form it used to be an added $1 fee but that may have changed ? (I've crossed here many times but not in the last 2 yrs) It doesn't take that long as should be quick at that time unless there is a large group crossing early.

There are then bus and taxi options for the 19km trip to Vientiane although I don't imagine many will be crossing north that early (most are going south into Thailand).

The 2nd option is to take the train across the Friendship Bridge with either of the two daily services (#913 deps Nong Khai at 9:10am & #917 at 4pm - unless both have recently changed) to Thanaleng stations 3km into Laos (it will be extended another 9km to a new Vietiance station). Thai immigration is done at the Nong Khai station.

You can peruse a great trip report with pics on the 2Bangkok.com site>Laos sub-froum>Thai-Laos railway reports thread.

However, you arr. too early and the fact is that for first time travelers this probably not as good as option as transport from Thanaleng station to Vientiane will be more expensive in general.

• Like 2

From the Nong Khai station you can take an onward train to Tha Naleng across the border (25 Baht). Immigration facilities are available at both stations, saving you a usually long wait at the bridge.

From Tha Naleng you can either take a minivan or hike a few 100 meters to the main road and catch a bus into town.

I have the sense that you have not really got the info that you want

well, yes until this very moment...

Are you on the #77 which arrives at 5am the next morning?

Ja

However, you arr. too early and the fact is that for first time travelers this probably not as good as option as transport from Thanaleng station to Vientiane will be more expensive in general.

Well nows ya tells me!

anyway though seriously thanks for all the help! no one answred my question, and being the type with a taste for adventure i wasn't going to belabor the point and basically just fly by my pants...but helpful info is always welcome!

I have the sense that you have not really got the info that you want. Are you on the #77 which arrives at 5am the next morning?

I have found that Thai trains leave on schedule but never arrive on time, by usually 2 or more hours to and from Nong Khai. Immigration Office hours should be no problem.

Can one turn around: get stamped out, then get stamped back in, at the Thai Immigration Checkpoint at Friendship Bridge without entering Laos?

Nope, they check for the stamp if in doubt.

At most of the busy crossings like here, Poipet etc they now have interlinked immigration to confirm people have entered and exited - mainly for those on the run from one country to another. An Australian funded project.

You can do it by flying out though. ie not enter and then just fly back.

I came back from VTE on Bangkok Air on November 12th. It cost $120 and I could use the airline lounge while I waited for the flight. If you can afford it, and they advertised it both ways, it is the only way to go, about a 1 hour and Laos Immigration at the airport is a breeze. No pictures with you.. they scan your pasport pic and go on, about 15 minutes max. Also, Wattay Airport is minutes from the city. Also the aircraft was a jet not prop.

• Like 1

meh, I've actually been on a jet before...I resent flying...Trains (particularly trains and alcohol are tits) people are far more social on trains and its an actual expreince ill be able to write about/take pictures of...a plane? "15 minutes"? no thanks.

I brought some snacks to be safe (nuts and crackers) just to be on the safe side...i had intended to grab some fruit so that I could balance things out with some legit food but never got around to it...I imagine I'll get gouged on one treat or another but I know what to expect as should anyone who's walked through an airport or traveled on a passenger train. Thanks for the heads up though.

meh, I've actually been on a jet before...I resent flying...Trains (particularly trains and alcohol are tits) people are far more social on trains and its an actual expreince ill be able to write about/take pictures of...a plane? "15 minutes"? no thanks.

I brought some snacks to be safe (nuts and crackers) just to be on the safe side...i had intended to grab some fruit so that I could balance things out with some legit food but never got around to it...I imagine I'll get gouged on one treat or another but I know what to expect as should anyone who's walked through an airport or traveled on a passenger train. Thanks for the heads up though.

There are Tuk Tuks at Nong Khai station who will take you to the Thai side of Friendship Bridge. Go through Thai checkout and jump on

bus to go over bridge (20 baht)

At the Lao customs you will have to fill in forms and provide 1 photo Cost 1500 baht or $30 us. If it's not too busy it will

take about 20 minutes for the visa.

On the Lao side there are a number of transport choices to get into the city. cheapest is bus about 50 baht, taxi 500 baht.

Don't discount Nong Khai it's a nice town for a chill out stay. Bungalows and hotel rooms from 400 baht.

As for the rail journey from Bangkok hmmmmmmmmmmmm It's very slow and noisy. VIP coach is more comfortable

Notice their "exchange rate?" Take $'s if you can, you'll save ฿600 in a matter of secondsrolleyes.gif