Bangkok Court rejects warrant requests for 13 protest leaders on insurrection charges

webfact

Court rejects warrant requests for 13 protest leaders on insurrection charges
By Digital Content

13865737707804.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 9 - Thailand's Criminal Court today rejected arrest warrants sought by the police for 13 anti-government protest leaders, saying the current situation does not warrant the request after the premier's announcement of House dissolution.

Police earlier asked the court to approve arrest warrants for Satit Wongnongtoey, Jumpol Jullasai, Phuttipong Punnakanta, Issara Somchai, Witthaya Kaewparadai, Thaworn Senneam, Natthapon Teepsuwan, Ekanat Prompan, Anchalee Paireerak, Nitithorn Lamluea, Uthai Yodmanee, Samdin Lertbutr and Preecha Eiamsuwan for insurrection and inciting unrest.

The court dismissed the request, reasoning that there is insufficient grounds to issue the warrant against the 13 accused and that the tense situation is believed to have eased after Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra decided to dissolve the lower House.

However, the court said police investigators should summon the 13 protest leaders first.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, in his capacity as director of the Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), today appeared on national television urging the demonstrators to return home to avoid further damage to the country's reputation after the prime minister has announced the House dissolution.

He said Thai people should help restore the country to normalcy as soon as possible. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-09

That's a big F you to the PTP from the courts.

Well done!

Do you mean you approve of the court making a political decision rather than a legal one?

Or maybe I approve the court's decision in not upholding a political warrant of arrest. After all, how is this an insurrection?

The the court make a decision based on the "People's wish", yes, I would support.

Best line of the article

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, in his capacity as director of the Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), today appeared on national television urging the demonstrators to return home to avoid further damage to the country's reputation after the prime minister has announced the House dissolution.

Coming from Surapong who is Thaksin's counsin.

I know one of Mark's counsin who is just as Red as Jatupon. His name is Suranand Vejjajiva.

Well done!

Do you mean you approve of the court making a political decision rather than a legal one?

Do you mean the police really had grounds for seeking the arrest of these 13 protest leaders on grounds of insurrection! Insurrections normally lead to bloody overthrowing of a government! Did that happen?

• Like 1

Suthep pulled it off...did not think he could recoup after the holidays....now look at the size of the crowds...amazing thailand indeed

well done Suthep. I think Thailand needs more people like you. You are a brave man

• Like 2

Well done!

Do you mean the police really had grounds for seeking the arrest of these 13 protest leaders on grounds of insurrection! Insurrections normally lead to bloody overthrowing of a government! Did that happen?

Their stated goals are not compatible with the constitution - that means they wish to overthrow the current system of constitutional monarchy.

Or are your blinkers not allowing you to see that?

So, far better to leave corrupt politicians to look after things till a new election.

Besides it seems to me the real problem is peoples interpretation of the constitution. It means what they want it to mean!

The Protest has been a peaceful one on the whole far from insurrection (Syria) or civil war. So to even say that their aims are not compatible with the constitution is laughable. It is the constitutional right for people to protest what they feel is injustice.

I also think I am safe in saying that the BiBs did not come up with that idea, It came from up on high!

Edited by ggold

The old mate DSI must be starting to worry a bit with all the brown nosing he's done with the PTP, of course the Dems have to win an election , I'd like to see the UN come in as observers, just to make sure everything is above board, as for the protest leaders they came home with the spoils, there's no prize for second, unless they lose the election, that is.clap2.gif

Well done!

Lets just call it a sensible one!!

I think that those supplying toilets should be sent to prison for life though.

• Like 1

Well done!

Are you an expert on Thai law? Or are you simply saying it must be political because you don't like it?

Unlike the AG's very fair decision not to prosecute Thaksin or the DSI Directors very fair decision to drop the perjury charges against YL the day after she took office,

Why is it PTP and all their supporters squeal foul every time a court judgement is against them? Guess they think they're always in the right.

Well done!

When the government use the justice system to try and stop demonstrations and peoples legal right to assembly, then is the decision political or legal?

Well done!

Or maybe I approve the court's decision in not upholding a political warrant of arrest. After all, how is this an insurrection?

Either what they did is legal or illegal. Deciding not to issue arrest warrants because "the tense situation has eased" is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Well done!

When the government use the justice system to try and stop demonstrations and peoples legal right to assembly, then is the decision political or legal?

As far as I can see nobody in the Thai government has used the Thai justice system, police or military to try and stop demonstrations or the peoples right to legally assemble, with that said taking over government buildings and Thai TV stations as well as beating up foreign journalists is a criminal act and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the lawwai.gif