Compulsory healthcare for foreigners a matter of choice: Poll

Lite Beer

Compulsory healthcare for foreigners a matter of choice: Poll
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_2013121013462654_qCciGmCgHaVg

The poll results highlight that nearly all respondents support foreigners' right to make their own healthcare choices. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: A clear majority of Thai nationals believe foreigners should not be compelled to buy health insurance when entering Thailand, but fewer than half of all tourists and expats living in the country shared that view, at least according to the results of the latest Phuket Gazette online readers’ poll.

The poll – asking “What is the best insurance solution for foreigners entering Thailand?” – was drawn up after Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong announced that related agencies were discussing a plan to charge tourists for compulsory health coverage, up to 500 baht for a three- to 30-day stay, and 30 baht for stays of less than three days (story here).

Voters in the poll delivered a wide spread of responses to the question, with 49.7% of respondents overall voting, “None, there is no need to force foreigners to have compulsory insurance for entering Thailand.”

Of the other options, 19.3% of respondents voted, “Some form of compulsory insurance, but not the proposed 500-baht insurance plan.”

A further 17.4% voted, “The proposed 500-baht compulsory insurance plan for all foreign tourists” and 13.6% voted, “A 500-baht optional insurance plan supported by the government.”

However, a whopping 80% of respondents presenting themselves as Thai nationals voted the top choice, that there was no need to force foreigners to have compulsory insurance for entering Thailand.

This opinion was matched by only 46% of respondents presenting themselves as “Local Foreign Residents” and 47% of respondents presenting themselves as “Tourists / Visitors to Phuket”.

Yet Thai nationals taking part in the poll were outvoted by more than 10 to 1 by foreigners, whose opinions varied greatly.

If the poll results highlight anything, it is that nearly all respondents support foreigners' right to make their own healthcare choices.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Compulsory-healthcare-for-foreigners-a-matter-of-choice-Poll-22993.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-10

The poll result page carries this note:

This poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those who have chosen to participate in it. The results cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of the public as a whole, or of Thais, resident foreigners, or foreign tourists generally.

Only 632 votes have been cast so it's true to say that the result means nothing at all. Here's the full report:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/poll/vote.asp?PollId=274

A nanny, interfering state is good sometimes.

If it means all foreigners have access to healthcare if in serious trouble regardless of financial status then that is a surely a good thing.

Nobody is interfering with anyone's right to choice, 500bt is a pittance to most farangs, who most likely have taken the wise precaution of a personal health plan.

Reality check ! - standing there, presented with the choice of treating a person with no money, or leaving them to suffer, how many of you would honestly not make the humane choice. This leaves the hospital or govt. to unfairly foot the bill. So to my mind 500bt for all is fair.

The only check I would insist on is one charge per year, not per visit.

• Like 2

Can anyone answer this one? It's been bugging me for a while...

When this was first spoken about and also subsequently there is normally a HUGE figure touted that foreigners "farang" are costing them on a yearly basis through no insurance and clogging their health care system up.

How much if any of that amount are Khmer, Burmese or Laotian?

I can't ever recall reading that those people are NOT included in these government quoted figures.

Oh, please! Look at how insurance really works and we can see that we would pay MORE for care if we had this system. I don't see a benefit yet. Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Insurance companies are like banks. the biggest cheats and crooks in the business and cannot be trusted, they are quick to grab your money, but when it comes to paying out, they check the small print to see if they can avoid it. We all know the reason for the small print, it's small because they hope you will not notice it.

Do you have an insurance policy document with small print or do you mean that you don't bother to read them?

When this was first spoken about and also subsequently there is normally a HUGE figure touted that foreigners "farang" are costing them on a yearly basis through no insurance and clogging their health care system up.

I can't ever recall reading that those people are NOT included in these government quoted figures.

Well, I have to add to the questions... Since it's pay or stay in the hospital jail, how is ANY foreigner of any nationalify clogging up their health care system? Insurance is a way to add regulation and jobs, not a way to truly help people based on my extensive experience.

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Well, I have to add to the questions... Since it's pay or stay in the hospital jail, how is ANY foreigner of any nationalify clogging up their health care system? Insurance is a way to add regulation and jobs, not a way to truly help people based on my extensive experience.

The problem seems to be that many foreigners seek treatment at government hospitals and then say that they have neither insurance nor the funds to pay for what they have received. I see no justification for any foreigner being here without the means to pay for medical treatment.

• Like 1

The problem seems to be that many foreigners seek treatment at government hospitals and then say that they have neither insurance nor the funds to pay for what they have received. I see no justification for any foreigner being here without the means to pay for medical treatment.

Wow... The hospital lets them leave without paying? That is news to me. I was warned never to go if I can't pay (by Thai people who advised just suffer its better than jail.)

I do know that poor from neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, etc.) sneak in to Thailand to make more money. People from many countries like Philippines, for example, will work in Thailand on a B visa making 10k, can't afford surgery, but are making 3x what they can at home. It's justified in their opinion, no?

Wow... The hospital lets them leave without paying? That is news to me. I was warned never to go if I can't pay (by Thai people who advised just suffer its better than jail.)

I do know that poor from neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, etc.) sneak in to Thailand to make more money. People from many countries like Philippines, for example, will work in Thailand on a B visa making 10k, can't afford surgery, but are making 3x what they can at home. It's justified in their opinion, no?

Yes they do. It doesn't work with private hospitals.

I understand that the scheme would apply only to tourists with some suggestion that it may be extended to expats. I read recently that there is already a scheme for migrant workers from neighbouring countries who pay THB2,200 per year.

As long as it IS OPTIONAL, I don't care what they do. If they try and force us to pay some bs fee then there will be trouble....

I suppose that if you have your own insurance it wouldn't seem fair to pay into a scheme for those who don't bother. On the other hand, those who do use the scheme and are treated at government hospitals will wish they had bought travel insurance.

First they need to change the Visa system, included the Visa on arrival and Visa exempted countries. Then make in compulsory to have insurance to get Visa!

...and there it stops because its all about money and with more effective and stringent visa requirements less people will come....

Oh, please! Look at how insurance really works and we can see that we would pay MORE for care if we had this system. I don't see a benefit yet. Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Insurance companies are like banks. the biggest cheats and crooks in the business and cannot be trusted, they are quick to grab your money, but when it comes to paying out, they check the small print to see if they can avoid it. We all know the reason for the small print, it's small because they hope you will not notice it.

And there was little old me thinking that small print was saving the planet by not using as much paper to print it on... Learn something new on TV every day... Thanks...:P

As long as it IS OPTIONAL, I don't care what they do. If they try and force us to pay some bs fee then there will be trouble....

I suppose that if you have your own insurance it wouldn't seem fair to pay into a scheme for those who don't bother. On the other hand, those who do use the scheme and are treated at government hospitals will wish they had bought travel insurance.

Or your regular insurance will pay less since you have coinsurance.

Or your regular insurance will pay less since you have coinsurance.

Good point!

nearly all respondents support foreigners' right to make their own healthcare choices.

Out os 632! Wow, what a massive sample.

They weren't asked the right question:

'Do you think that foreigners should be able to use the Thai State health facilities without the means to pay for them?'

Is that trouble with a capital T...... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif What are you going to do leave, go somewhere else. Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, up to you.

Some thoughts / analyses ;

Assuming the 500 bahy per visitor entry covers up to 30 days (normal tourist entry duration) then if it could be extended at that rate 500/month it would mean 6000 baht / year for health/medical coverage.

Oh yeah. Considering that the age of pong staying farangs is quite high,if the govt can cover for 6000,baht , how come bupa charges 3,or 4 times that?

There is also insurance when opening a bank account. Anybody had made a claim from that?

No, opening a bank account by itself does not give you health insurance. Perhaps some banks offer a health insurance policy, which would be a separate contract from the one you conclude for opening an account. Did you buy a health insurance policy from your bank?